Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2023, 06:26 AM   #1
unclescratch

radiator overflow jug 2003 Adventurer 33V (Workhorse)

Seems I can't keep coolant in my overflow tank. Looks like some effort involved, but I will attempt to remove it from under the hood for a close inspection. Perhaps I need to repair a crack? I imagine it may be quite expensive to replace "if" I can find a new, correct replacement. Stay tuned, we'll be right back! (soon?)
Old 04-08-2023, 07:48 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Diggin them out can be a real trill! But you knew that, right?
Maybr RV are bigger and easier to get to but the last one on a car, they had to remove the liner inside the fender!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 09:10 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclescratch View Post
Seems I can't keep coolant in my overflow tank. Looks like some effort involved, but I will attempt to remove it from under the hood for a close inspection. Perhaps I need to repair a crack? I imagine it may be quite expensive to replace "if" I can find a new, correct replacement. Stay tuned, we'll be right back! (soon?)
Did you ever resolve the problem? I ask because I am experiencing loss of coolant and have traced it to what Winnebago identifies as a common problem, Electronic 3 Port Water Valve. The valve is a mod to the F53 Chassis and related to heating and cooling. Mine is leaking and I’m debating on replacing it myself or possibly Ford dealership do the work; dealership near me has truck fleet service and has bay and lift capability. However, generally limited to Ford F53 designs as it relates to motorhome. However, the valve is a Winnebago modification, so they said they may or may not be able to repair. Valve is just above the Recovery jug, and is like nylon fitting, and as a part of the assembly, there’s what appears to be some sort of actuator. Though Access seems pretty good, I’m hesitant to do the work myself mainly cause of worry about getting air in the cooling system and not knowing how to burp the radiator, much less the effort to top off the antifreeze, assuming I were to just pinch the heater hoses connected to the valves by using those plastic professional clamps to crimp hoses off to minimize fluid loss. Anyway, curious what you discovered for your coolant loss.
Sprockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 09:58 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprockets View Post
Did you ever resolve the problem? I ask because I am experiencing loss of coolant and have traced it to what Winnebago identifies as a common problem, Electronic 3 Port Water Valve. The valve is a mod to the F53 Chassis and related to heating and cooling. Mine is leaking and I’m debating on replacing it myself or possibly Ford dealership do the work; dealership near me has truck fleet service and has bay and lift capability. However, generally limited to Ford F53 designs as it relates to motorhome. However, the valve is a Winnebago modification, so they said they may or may not be able to repair. Valve is just above the Recovery jug, and is like nylon fitting, and as a part of the assembly, there’s what appears to be some sort of actuator. Though Access seems pretty good, I’m hesitant to do the work myself mainly cause of worry about getting air in the cooling system and not knowing how to burp the radiator, much less the effort to top off the antifreeze, assuming I were to just pinch the heater hoses connected to the valves by using those plastic professional clamps to crimp hoses off to minimize fluid loss. Anyway, curious what you discovered for your coolant loss.
Suggestion to consider if it works in your case?
I find that there are times when moving away from dealerships has advantages. Two thoughts to throw out?
Would they want to go with you bringing the part if they find it not a standard Ford part? That might work better for them if you then went to some of the Winnebago parts folks, got the part and took it to them to install.

And that can be a place where I go to a small shop near me for lots of things that the dealers are not good at doing. A place named Tuffy's is my goto place for first look at any RV repair as they are much easier to deal with getting the weird things done.
Even oil changes are fine with them as they have me pull in back where I'm out of traffic, they bring a scooter out and find plenty of space under an RV for lube and oil.
RV are basic truck chassis so the parts they know about, they are willing to do as the owner is standing close by and never wants to run off any business the guys can do!

Attitude is the first step to getting anything done, so finding the guys with the right attitude is a winner! I like to find the guy who WANTS my business!
Old 06-24-2023, 03:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks Morich for taking time to reply. I do have the part on order and taking it to Ford is what I was planning, as the one RV shop close by is always so far backed up with work. I may call them to see if they have replaced the part before, and if so, may just drop it all off with them vs Ford dealer. Can appreciate the comments about finding folks with good attitude.
Old 06-24-2023, 04:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

That sounds like a plan. I sometimes deal with reapir on things that have no really specific repair shops around so if it is an odd part and I can point ot it, take the part with me and let somebody look at it, they say, okay we can do that!
That's where I find the small guys who may be a little greasy when Italk to them can work out really well.
No middle level folks to confuse things, just me and a guy who does the work, even if neither of us knows the exact name of the thing!
Old 06-26-2023, 02:42 PM   #7
unclescratch

I was able to remove my overflow jug and used 'red' silicone to paste over all the cracks. I had to break loose the metal band from around the jug to remove it. Then I fabbed a new attaching system to hold the jug secure and also allow removal in the future. No leaks after 4000 miles.
Old 06-27-2023, 01:49 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclescratch View Post
I was able to remove my overflow jug and used 'red' silicone to paste over all the cracks. I had to break loose the metal band from around the jug to remove it. Then I fabbed a new attaching system to hold the jug secure and also allow removal in the future. No leaks after 4000 miles.
From what I see you have a Workhorse chassis. I replaced the overflow bottle with this one from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BBQCMMT...roduct_details

Under 40 dollars and the leak was gone.
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 10:02 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Electronic 3 Port Coolant Water Valve

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1974.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	354.4 KB
ID:	186490

Name:	IMG_1972.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	401.8 KB
ID:	186491

Name:	IMG_1977.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	296.1 KB
ID:	186492

Name:	IMG_2007.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	343.6 KB
ID:	186493
Knock on wood, our recovery jug is in good shape. Had replied to original post in the event UncleScratch had discovered same leaky valve as ours on our F53 chassis. Waiting for part to come in and will attempt to replace the valve myself by pinching off the 3 heater hoses with those plastic scissor like clamps, and then disconnect the hose clamps from the electronic 3 port water valve, and remove the 2 screws securing the assembly, disconnect electronic wiring connector, and install new assembly. Hopefully it’s that straight forward to do. According to Winnebago, it was a common problem for the leak to occur at that valve. Had thought maybe UncleScratch had run into same problem, but apparently it was his recovery jug.

Tags
workhorse, vent, radiator, adventurer