Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-03-2018, 12:37 AM   #1
Winnie Journey Pilot

Question re roofs on Journeys

I am shopping for a 2005-2007 Journey 36G. I saw one and am puzzled about its roof. I understand that Journeys are supposed to have a fiberglass roof. When I climbed onto the roof to inspect it, I found what appeared to be a soft rubber roof with some 12" - 24" blisters near the air horns at the front. My Class-C Winnie Access has a FG roof and I am familiar with its hard smooth surface. Am I correct that the roof of the Journey should be the same?
Papa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:46 AM   #2
Former Winnebago Owner

That is indeed very strange! My 2002 Horizon had a smooth fiberglass roof and my 2011 Meridian has a smooth fiberglass roof. Can only guess, but sounds as if the fiberglass roof on that coach has been covered with some sort of rubber coating that has now lost adhesion in those areas. It sounds to me like a great reason to walk away from that coach.
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

It's possible that the roof started out as FG but got badly damaged...wind, hail, etc., and the PO had a rubber roof put on instead of FG. Might have been less expensive. The rubber roof fabric to fit a 35' RV is only $800 last I checked. And if it was done by an amateur, that would explain the bubbles.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, roof