Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2020, 09:24 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Question Question on Onan Energy Command Generator

5.5kW FWIW. Dealer can't provide answer.
Manual doesn't come out and say it, at least in small words and short sentences I can understand.

Background: Cross-country trip with residential fridge on, may have one or both ACs running if it's that hot and humid. Generator set on "Auto On".

Is my assumption correct?: While driving everything is running on the inverter. When stopped, engine shut off, for restaurant meals, stretch-the-legs breaks or maybe overnighting in a Walmart parking lot, I shouldn't worry about battery drain or anything related because the generator will come on when it senses it needs to come on.

?
DCMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 11:25 AM   #2
Site Team

Your roof A/C will not run off of the inverter.

So, run the generator while driving if you want the A/C on. If all you want is to power the residential fridge, then just turn on the Inverter and start driving.

You should have more an enough battery amperage to operate the residential fridge while stopped along the way. And, generally, enough for overnight. Though it depends on your battery amp hour capacity and their state of charge - also, the temp inside the RV during the night.

Since you have an EC30 controller on your genset it will come on if your batteries drop below a specific point. But, as I understand it, the RV ignition has to be off. It can be set to start up from a demand for A/C due to temperature settings on your thermostat and OR by low battery voltage. And, you can set time parameters for how long it runs and also for what time of day it will avoid to run.

I've used my EC-30 autostart on one trip. I found it a bit confusing to setup and in fact mine didn't start and let the batteries drop one night below the threshold I had set. Seems the time settings I had entered interfered. Since it was the only time I tried using it I haven't revisited it to determine where I went wrong... but I will someday I'm sure.

Since there is a genstart button on the dashboard of my Adventurer, I usually start out on a hot day with the generator off and as I feel the temp rise I reach down and start the generator. I leave the A/C on and set so that once the genset starts powering things the A/C will come on, too. No need to use the EC-30 AGS function while driving.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:29 AM   #3
Site Team

This video sure makes it look easy...

My issue was that I had changed time zones, not reset the time on the EC-30 and had Quiet Time set for the old time zone clock settings.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:00 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

As I understand it:
- If you're driving with the AGS on (not during QT set hours - if you enabled the QT function) the generator will function if it sees demand from the thermostat, batteries, MW, etc.
- If you stop driving and turn the ignition off the AGS will reset to manual
- If you desire just reset the AGS and enjoy your lunch break
Old 05-05-2020, 06:53 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
As I understand it:
- If you're driving with the AGS on (not during QT set hours - if you enabled the QT function) the generator will function if it sees demand from the thermostat, batteries, MW, etc.
See, I always assumed that the “ignition reset to manual” precluded the AGS from working while driving. That’s what I get for assuming.
Old 05-13-2020, 04:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Here is another really good video on how to program the GenSet

Magnum108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
See, I always assumed that the “ignition reset to manual” precluded the AGS from working while driving. That’s what I get for assuming.

The reset is to prevent the generator from coming on at the gas pump or inside a storage building. Too many forget to turn off Autostart systems when they stop for fuel or park inside a garage. If you start or stop the engine you have to turn the AutoStart system back on and it will run during the hours you set as not being Quiet Time.

The reset also protects service technicians from getting electrocuted by a generator auto starting while they are working on a rig.

I installed the hard wired Energy Command system in my 35U years ago since I dry camped with two dogs and a cat so they would have air conditioning without having the generator running non-stop. You can even wire it to detect power failures when on shore power
Old 05-14-2020, 07:04 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

The EC-30 AGS is without a doubt one of the best tools to insure you have power when you need it.
That said, it has the worst instruction manual in terms of user friendliness but is totally and completely accurate in terms of instructions on setting it up.
I have a ResFridge and while on the road, is powered by the alternator and inverter and by the house batteries when we stop. I have it programmed to startup when we are boondocking at about 12.5v+ and shutoff at over 14 volts. I have 400 ah of battery power and overnight - while boondocking- it will come on 2 or 3 times depending on the outside temp.
It is HARD TO PROGRAM but stick with it. Most likely you will want it to start at a dropping battery voltage but I believe it should be at least 12.5 volts or higher as there is significant battery draw to restart the generator.
Program it to how you want it to operate using a time frame when you will be in the coach so you can determine if it is working the way you want it to. If not, you can change the program until it does what you want - when you want. Once you have been able to do that, it is very simple to change the times to the period you actually want it to operate.
Good luck and dont give up !!!
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
As I understand it:
Steve
When driving, the alternator will provide AC power thru the inverter. The genset will NOT activate if appliances are turned on but will activate on a thermostat call if programmed to do so or a battery voltage call if programmed. I dont believe it will active on both thermostat and voltage but I may be wrong - will definitely activate individually on either.
Generally, you should not have power issues while driving as the alternator will provide power for appliances ..... up to the current limit. If you want to power the house AC, you will need to turn the generator on. As far as I know, you cannot have simultaneous generator start triggers on the EC-30. Good luck!
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan