Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-08-2021, 10:11 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Putting Gas in my 2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

Good Day
We have only owned our 2003 Winnebago 30B for about 3 months now. Yesterday, September 7th, 2021, while driving to the campground, I had to put gas into my coach. The gas level was reading 1/4 full. When I started putting in the gas, the gas nozzle from the pump, kept stopping when tried to press the nozzle completely. All the gas that I could put in was about $40.00 worth of gas and it would take no more. This is certainly puzzling because the tank was reading 1/4 full when I started. Assuming it's a 75-gallon tank, it sure did not take much.

Now, to confuse the issue, even more, I live in Canada and we measure gasoline in meters not gallons. I think that there are about 3.8 Canadian liters in a U.S.gallon. So if my gas tank was reading 1/4 before I started the fill, it should have been able to take about 56 more gallons or 214 liters to bring it to FULL. But only after about 28 liters or approximately 7 gallons of gas, the gas was spewing out of the spout so it would take no more. Now either my gas gauge on my dashboard is wrong or the nozzle on the gas hose was faulty. If anyone has any input, it would be appreciated.

Thanks... Radio Guy
Radio Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:36 AM   #2
Site Team

I've had instances where I had to pull the nozzle out of the tank a bit. I've been to places where I couldn't get the gas to go in a full open because the new nozzles. (CA comes to mind). Maybe it was just getting too much pressure back (like you said) and was the problem. Have you had to fill up again since?
What did the fuel gauge say when you were done? Full?
MAYBE the float gauge is failing?
Old 09-08-2021, 12:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, Thom for the response. Actually, this is the FIRST time that we have had to put gas in the coach. When we picked up the motorhome in May the tank was FULL and it read that way. We have only been on a few short trips, one about an hour and a half from home another about 15 minutes from home and a 30-minute trip to get propane filled. After I put the $40 in fuel in yesterday the gas gauge on the dash read just less than 1/2 full so it did appear to read correctly with the fuel I put in. To your point about the size of the nozzle, it did appear that it did NOT fit into the my gas tank well and that may have been part of the problem.
Old 09-08-2021, 03:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Not getting the RV to use enough gas is a new one!! Most of the time We regret how much we've put in!

But that being done, there is another possible idea to look over when filling again. The neck of the fill spout has a few dividers or "baffles" involved for a couple reasons. One is that it helps to keep any gas from splashing out but it also makes it a bit more difficult to siphon gas out when stealing it as the hose may not go straight down and in!

Depending on the shape and length of the gas spout and how the filler neck is built, it may be that you were pressing the spout too close to one of these baffles, causing the gas to build up slightly and enough to shut the spout off???

Perhaps it will take a bit of trial to figure but there are times when pulling the spout out just a bit lets the gas flow better.

But then I would not trust the gauge too far until I found which was the problem!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 03:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Moriich, it might take a bit of trial and error. It's new for me, this issue as well. I will let everyone know what I learn. Thanks for your input Morich

Radio Guy
Old 09-09-2021, 03:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

In an older past coach, it took me forever to fill. To get it to fill I had to set the jacks and put coach at an angle so the flow would be better. I did find out however that the breather tube had a kink in it. I straightened the tube and the fill problem stopped.

Just gotta love rving!
Good Luck safe travels
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 04:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Like B Happy said. The small vent hose/tube from upper part of the tank to the upper part of fuel filler neck should be looked at. If it's pinched or clogged shut the air being displaced by the fuel added to the tank has no place to go as you put fuel in. It acts as if the tank is full prematurely. Looks like Be Happy nailed it.
paof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 05:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I am suspect of the gas gauge.
If you picked it up full, and only took a few short trips, the amount you pumped sounds correct.
How many miles had you travelled since you picked it up? Expect about 7 mpg as a median consumption rate. Calculate the amount of fuel used. Compare to what was added.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 06:12 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Everyone! Success... today, on returning from our campground, I had to get gas and the nozzle that I used at the MOBIL station worked fine. The earlier problem, must have been due to the nozzle installed at that particular gas station. So, all appears to be good. Thanks to all of you for your comments and concerns. Take care and stay safe!

Radio Guy
2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30B
Grafton, Ontario Canada
Old 09-12-2021, 07:15 PM   #10
04 Journey since 09-17

Have owned our 2004 Journey for 4 years. At first the gas float was way off. One estimate for replacing float invoked patience.
Now I am pretty sure when the gas warning light appears that I have 25 gallons left in my 90 gallon tank. Have you seen the commercial based on ‘pretty sure’?

Travel Dogs 2
RVMJR52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:44 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

An accurate gauge is nice for sure, but having found my rig gets about 8 MPG, I pay more attention to my distance traveled, than my gauge, in projecting what I have left. And frankly, when planning refills, distance is a safer preplanner than a gauge anyway.
Rick 99037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 09:27 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Good idea Rick! Thanks
Old 09-13-2021, 02:37 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2004 - 40wd the fuel guage is off reads low once it starts to move off full.
I fill at the truckers pump and due to the hose to tank I have to fill on low or it shuts off.
I also mileage to mpg, 1/4 tank meter is really 1/2
pobstlmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:34 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Hi, I have a 2003 Journey and have always had the same problem when filling up with fuel. The pump nozzle will continuously shut off and I have to hold it at a certain angle and put the fuel in slowly to get it to fill. I thought perhaps there was a problem with the filler hose to the tank but I had that checked and it was not kinked or anything. In searching the forums I found that this is a common problem with the Journey coaches of that age and is more of a design flaw in how the hose is routed, no fix for it that I could find. That's why I try to fill up at a half tank so it doesn't take me so long to put fuel in. It's a hassle, but I've gotten used to it. I love the coach, so I just accept it.
Old 09-16-2021, 06:05 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Interesting story dnrainey. As I said in a previous post, when I got gas at a different station, apparently the gas pump nozzle appeared to fit inside the fill tank so in this particular case the issue was resolved. I will report back to everyone on my next fill.

Regards
Radio Guy

Tags
gas, sightseer, winnebago