Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-02-2021, 08:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Purchasing Used 2006 Winnebago Journey 36G

Good Friday Everyone

We live just outside Toronto in Ontario Canada and will shortly be purchasing a USED 2006 Winnebago Journey 36G Diesel pusher. 30 years ago we owned a Winnebago Brave 26 foot 6.2 liter GM front diesel. Now I am a bit concerned with this 2006 model as I just found out that I need a Z Endorsement for Air Brakes before I can drive or insure the vehicle. Is this a complicated test to complete for a 68-year-old guy? I really like what we are about to purchase but am concerned about what this test and operation of the vehicle with air brakes entail. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Regards
Radio Guy
Radio Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:46 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Not a Canadian so really no expert, but from what I've read here it means you need to understand how the system works and how to adjust the brakes.
Pretty simple stuff I think. My brakes are self adjusting.
I wouldn't worry.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:47 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Try your question over on the mother ship, IRV2.com and you will get a lot more responses.
Old 04-02-2021, 05:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Jim... How do I post my question at IRV2.com?
Old 04-02-2021, 05:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Just like here. It's the original forum that this one sprung up from.

https://www.irv2.com/forums

Just that it includes all makes and types. Lots more folks.
Old 04-02-2021, 05:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

You would probably have to join there, but it's also free.
Unless you care to donate.
Old 04-02-2021, 05:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I posted your question on that forum for you. Just monitor for "Air Brake Endorsement".

You can do the search for it if need be.
Old 04-02-2021, 05:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

From RAY, IN on the other forum.

The CDL practice exam is excellent preparation for taking the test, and it teaches everything a driver needs to know about air brakes: https://cdlstudy.com/manuals/Air_Brakes.pdf
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 04-02-2021, 06:30 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Wow, you are very helpful... This is exceptional information. I am not nervous about taking the test, I am concerned about failing! But a friend tells me that you can take the test over and over until you pass so that's encouraging! Heck, the last test I took was a urine test, but I did pass that one!!!! ha ha
Old 04-02-2021, 07:16 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Not sure which side of Toronto you live on, but try searching for "Ontario Truck Driving Schools". They have more than a few locations, and I believe they will do a Z Endorsement course separately from the full CDL course. I think I read somewhere that it only takes a few hours, but I'm not sure about that. Just checked MTO website, and they say it takes 10.5 hours, but they aren't always right either.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:15 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Check this out.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/air-...ml#post5698070
Old 04-05-2021, 06:11 AM   #12
2003 Journey 32T

That's interesting that you need that in Canada. Here in America one can purchase a "40 rig, attach a '20 foot box trailer and take off down the road on a class c license.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:17 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamon View Post
That's interesting that you need that in Canada. Here in America one can purchase a "40 rig, attach a '20 foot box trailer and take off down the road on a class c license.
In New York state, and an R endorsement is needed.

It is not exactly like the Z endorsement, and there was very little emphasis on the braking system.

Many states have endorsement requirements for motorhomes over 26, 000#.
Mongobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 05:29 PM   #14

36G Purchase

Hi! My wife and I both passed the test you are speaking of, using the BC study guide. It was quite detailed but careful reading and comprehension let me pass it the second time. My wife passed it the first time around but she was a farmer with her first husband and had driven several vehicles with air brakes so she understood the details and why they had importance. Basically, it's a completely different animal from Drum or Disc brakes and is also more complicated, not in it's operation going down the road, but in knowing that it will function properly before you pull away and after you park. I'm sure you can do it, especially if you are able to call or visit someone (even at the Motor Vehicle Branch) to make sure you understand something you aren't sure about. Trust me, it all makes sense once you understand how and why things work and you will. It's coincidental but we have our 2006 36G for sale also and have a dealer who will take it off our hands for $50,000. We are hoping to convince him that it's worth $55,000 because there is nothing wrong with it and my wife and I have put thousands to upgrade it over the last 14 years.
I have a favour to ask of you confidentially, how much are you paying for yours? I do think we are on the low end of the scale but haven't advertised ours. Best of luck to you and yours. One last thing, 68 isn't too old. I'm 80 and just bought an $800 drone! Take care. Louis Wood, Regina SK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Guy View Post
Good Friday Everyone

We live just outside Toronto in Ontario Canada and will shortly be purchasing a USED 2006 Winnebago Journey 36G Diesel pusher. 30 years ago we owned a Winnebago Brave 26 foot 6.2 liter GM front diesel. Now I 't a bit concerned with this 2006 model as I just found out that I need a Z Endorsement for Air Brakes before I can drive or insure the vehicle. Is this a complicated test to complete for a 68-year-old guy? I really like what we are about to purchase but am concerned about what this test and operation of the vehicle with air brakes entail. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Regards
Radio Guy
lpmobilewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 05:37 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

I took a weekend course at the community college in Guelph. They teach you and test you all in one weekend. Excellent all around info to have. Also you meet a bunch of others who have motorhomes.
3HrTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:50 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

If it's anything like here in Illinois it's no sweat! Go to YouTube and look up "how do truck air brake systems work" and read the study course.....easy peazy!!!
If you want a challenge here in the States get a CDL with a HAZMAT endorsement........whole different ballgame there!
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:12 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpmobilewood View Post
It's coincidental but we have our 2006 36G for sale also and have a dealer who will take it off our hands for $50,000. We are hoping to convince him that it's worth $55,000 because there is nothing wrong with it and my wife and I have put thousands to upgrade it over the last 14 years.
One good way to find out what is an appropriate price for your RV is to check that large RV Internet Sales Sites.

Most are US based, but currently on RVTrader.com 2006 Journey 36G are selling for $60,000 to $70,000+. Keep in mind, a dealer will buy an RV for a fraction of this price to offer it for sale at a much higher price. The dealer knows he'll have to put some money into the RV and he knows he'll have to negotiate on the price. So, regardless of what you want or think the RV is worth the dealer has to take a risk. The less he pays for your RV the less risk he is taking.

Here's a search for you that shows pricing:

https://www.rvtrader.com/2006-Winneb...ar=2006%3A2006

One more thing-the upgrades you have made generally mean nothing to the dealer nor to the eventual buyer. And, many times what you consider an upgrade is seen as a downgrade by a buyer.

New tires, recent engine service and such are generally pluses but mostly to help an RV sell faster. Not necessarily to recoup spent monies.
Old 04-09-2021, 04:44 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Guy View Post
Good Friday Everyone

We live just outside Toronto in Ontario Canada and will shortly be purchasing a USED 2006 Winnebago Journey 36G Diesel pusher. 30 years ago we owned a Winnebago Brave 26 foot 6.2 liter GM front diesel. Now I am a bit concerned with this 2006 model as I just found out that I need a Z Endorsement for Air Brakes before I can drive or insure the vehicle. Is this a complicated test to complete for a 68-year-old guy? I really like what we are about to purchase but am concerned about what this test and operation of the vehicle with air brakes entail. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Regards
Radio Guy
No such requirement here in the Maritimes for leisure vehicles such as Motor Homes.
jeanbev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 01:12 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

You will love your 2006 Journey. Just be sure to get familiar with IRV2.COM . When you have a problem someone on IRV2.COM can help you to figure it out and get it fixed quickly. Enjoy....
jabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 12:41 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Took the class and test for Z endorsement at Georgian College in Owen Sound, a few years ago. (I was 64 yrs old) I was the only guy in the class that was taking it for a Motor Coach application..... all others were for semi truck. Anyway, it was no big deal. Teacher was very good and basic knowledge of how the system worked was most you needed to learn. No need to feel intimidated. GO FOR IT and enjoy. By the way, I was never ever asked to produce proof that i had my "Z". My cousin works for MTO as an inspector, and he says they have bigger fish to fry than RV Motorcoach drivers. Travelled coast to coast in the US and never asked their either. Concern would be tho', if you ever had an accident and didn't have the correct licensing, could be problematic. Good Luck.
Dbday is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago, journey