Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2019, 05:41 PM   #41
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpirSage View Post
Hi,
Is this the cable you’re referring to?
I’ve attached photo of mechanic tutorial. Thanks.
I'm not sure what you're asking. The cable pictured looks like the main brake cable that pulls in and out every time you step on your MH brakes, thereby activating and de-activating your toad's brakes. There's a second cable, the break-away brake cable (red) that's only pulled in an emergency situation. It's only pulled if your toad fully or partially separates from your MH due to a hitch failure of some sort. The red box referred to in some of the other posts locks it in the pulled position so the toad brakes lock in the activated position.

Does this video help?
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:51 PM   #42
Winnebago Owner

Does this look right?’

Can’t ipload video of my setup.
Took a screen capture.
Does it look ok?
Will watch YouTube video.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4D4A35BF-0471-4BDF-8EC1-45F43CB850A4.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	171258  
SpirSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:53 PM   #43
Winnebago Owner

He is holding black wire here
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CE516A68-3202-4D7C-B6E9-10504F85B60E.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	171259  
Old 03-12-2019, 05:57 PM   #44
Winnebago Owner

This!

It was of the vid where he pulled the rv forward to show me what it looked like after booking up and having it lock into place.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C351430D-F12B-4B63-8460-EDF8472715B5.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	171260  
Old 03-12-2019, 11:21 PM   #45
Winnebago Master

It's difficult for me to tell from our screen captures but I'm wondering if they didn't install a breakaway braking system. There should be two cables to your toad, a black cable from the Ready Brake, which I can see, and a second, red cable from your MH's frame to a second cable eye at your toad (usually off to the side), which I can't see. The red cable is for the breakaway braking system. These are in addition to the large, coiled safety cables.

The breakaway brake system is called a Ready Stop:

ReadyStop™ Towed Vehicle Emergency Break Away Kit

Such a system is required on a state-by-state basis:

https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-brakes/

I've seen conflicting comments about reciprocity between states. Some say you only have to comply with the law applicable to the state in which your vehicle is registered while others say that you need to comply with the laws of any state in which you drive. I suspect this can vary from state to state.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:37 AM   #46
Winnebago Owner

I just called LaMesa RV.
That red breakaway cable did not come with my system.
It’s extra!
Kripes.
Thank God for this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
It's difficult for me to tell from our screen captures but I'm wondering if they didn't install a breakaway braking system. There should be two cables to your toad, a black cable from the Ready Brake, which I can see, and a second, red cable from your MH's frame to a second cable eye at your toad (usually off to the side), which I can't see. The red cable is for the breakaway braking system. These are in addition to the large, coiled safety cables.

The breakaway brake system is called a Ready Stop:

ReadyStop™ Towed Vehicle Emergency Break Away Kit

Such a system is required on a state-by-state basis:

https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-brakes/

I've seen conflicting comments about reciprocity between states. Some say you only have to comply with the law applicable to the state in which your vehicle is registered while others say that you need to comply with the laws of any state in which you drive. I suspect this can vary from state to state.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:48 AM   #47
Winnebago Master

If LaMesa isn't going to do right for you in installing the breakaway system, I suggest you contact some local hitch installers about installation cost.

It's a relatively simple install that may or may not involve removing the front fascia.

This is another reason I don't like using RV dealers for service and installations if I have other options.

I don't see that the breakaway system is specifically required in Florida but you should double check. If it is, La Mesa should have advised you of the requirement.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:22 PM   #48
Winnebago Owner

So you feel the breakaway system should have come with the brute elite?

Quote:
If LaMesa isn't going to do right for you in installing the breakaway system, I suggest you contact some local hitch installers about installation cost.

It's a relatively simple install that may or may not involve removing the front fascia.

This is another reason I don't like using RV dealers for service and installations if I have other options.

I don't see that the breakaway system is specifically required in Florida but you should double check. If it is, La Mesa should have advised you of the requirement.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:13 PM   #49
Winnebago Master

As Bob said, each state has their own rules and Ready Brute isn't going to include something that many won't use. That leaves it up to the end user if they want it or not, at an additional expense.
It's a safety feature. Some may feel comfortable walking the tight rope without a net. I'd choose a safety net every time!
Old 03-13-2019, 05:29 PM   #50
Winnebago Master

If the breakaway system is required in the state of Florida, I feel that La Mesa should have advised you of such. Even if not required, if you purchased the Ready Brute system from them, they should have discussed it with you and given you the choice one way or the other.

If a breakaway system is not a requirement in Florida and you know that it's not required in the states to which you plan to travel, or you can satisfy yourself that reciprocity would prevail, then it's your personal choice as to whether or not you feel such a system is necessary. Clearly, having one installed is the safest thing to do both legally and practically.

Here's a page from NSA, the Ready Brake manufacturer on this issue:

State and Province Towing Laws

Just so you'll understand, legal requirements aside, the breakaway system is a belt-and-suspenders measure in the unlikely, but possible, chance that your toad accidentally separates from your MH. You currently have one and possibly two sets of protection against this occurrence, the first being the coiled safety cables attached between your MH and the baseplate mounted to your toad. This first set protects against a hitch failure.
The second set of protection is a set of cables that secures your baseplate to the frame of your toad. These protect against a failure of the bolts that mount your baseplate to the toad. I know that my Blue Ox baseplate came with this second set of safety cables but I don't know about other brands.

I'm sorry that this has become an issue and, hopefully LaMesa or someone else will install a breakaway system for you at a reasonable cost.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. And don't let this sour your upcoming trip. This is all part of RV'g but, the more experience you have, the fewer the surprises. Make reading the new posts on Winnieowners.com a daily activity and you'll learn a lot.

And, unless you have to do go to the dealer to satisfy warranty issues, find yourself a good independent truck shop experienced in working on your brand of chassis for your ongoing "truck" service work. The same goes for hitch work and other "house" systems work, find a good independent non-dealer repair shop. Personally, RV dealerships are my last resort.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:17 PM   #51
Winnebago Owner

Believe it or not, I am still working to get this breakaway system installed. I’ve decided to let another company do it per your advice. I’m due to leave Fl for New England mid April. I’ll keep you posted. Thank you for your help.
Quote:
If the breakaway system is required in the state of Florida, I feel that La Mesa should have advised you of such. Even if not required, if you purchased the Ready Brute system from them, they should have discussed it with you and given you the choice one way or the other.

If a breakaway system is not a requirement in Florida and you know that it's not required in the states to which you plan to travel, or you can satisfy yourself that reciprocity would prevail, then it's your personal choice as to whether or not you feel such a system is necessary. Clearly, having one installed is the safest thing to do both legally and practically.

Here's a page from NSA, the Ready Brake manufacturer on this issue:

State and Province Towing Laws

Just so you'll understand, legal requirements aside, the breakaway system is a belt-and-suspenders measure in the unlikely, but possible, chance that your toad accidentally separates from your MH. You currently have one and possibly two sets of protection against this occurrence, the first being the coiled safety cables attached between your MH and the baseplate mounted to your toad. This first set protects against a hitch failure.
The second set of protection is a set of cables that secures your baseplate to the frame of your toad. These protect against a failure of the bolts that mount your baseplate to the toad. I know that my Blue Ox baseplate came with this second set of safety cables but I don't know about other brands.

I'm sorry that this has become an issue and, hopefully LaMesa or someone else will install a breakaway system for you at a reasonable cost.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. And don't let this sour your upcoming trip. This is all part of RV'g but, the more experience you have, the fewer the surprises. Make reading the new posts on Winnieowners.com a daily activity and you'll learn a lot.

And, unless you have to do go to the dealer to satisfy warranty issues, find yourself a good independent truck shop experienced in working on your brand of chassis for your ongoing "truck" service work. The same goes for hitch work and other "house" systems work, find a good independent non-dealer repair shop. Personally, RV dealerships are my last resort.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:44 PM   #52
Winnebago Master

Good luck and, soon, everything will be in order and you'll be on your way. You're now in the position to help someone else with a similar problem. In my case it was a DIY job with lots of re-dos that gave me the knowledge to help you. And, it was the hydraulic leak I missed at the time of purchase that gave me that package of knowledge and so on.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:27 PM   #53
Winnebago Owner

Hydraulic leak? Ugh. There are so many things....
I have to be crazy to do this myself.
A friend from up north is trying to get the time off from work so as to fly down
In time for closing of my home to co-pilot.
If she can’t, I’m looking for volunteers.
In meantime, I went to a very reputable rv repair place, and guess what?
The brute elite came with the install of breakaway system.
LaMesa just forgot to add that red cable.
I ran there and now have that cable.
Wow!
Old 03-28-2019, 04:14 PM   #54
Winnebago Master

Fantastic, persistence pays off!

Whatever you do, once it's connected, don't pull the red cable to see if it works. It goes through a one-way fitting so the brakes will lock on, and, if it's not very accessible, it's a bear to release (don't ask how I know).

And don't forget, you can't back up with your toad attached, not even a few feet. You might get away with it like some say but it's not worth the risk. Not backing up is going to get some pre-planning and awareness.

Have a great trip and let us know how it goes.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:43 PM   #55
Winnebago Owner

[and I thought my Boston accent was bad! Woo...
QUOTE=BobC;3835859]I'm not sure what you're asking. The cable pictured looks like the main brake cable that pulls in and out every time you step on your MH brakes, thereby activating and de-activating your toad's brakes. There's a second cable, the break-away brake cable (red) that's only pulled in an emergency situation. It's only pulled if your toad fully or partially separates from your MH due to a hitch failure of some sort. The red box referred to in some of the other posts locks it in the pulled position so the toad brakes lock in the activated position.

Does this video help? [/QUOTE]
Old 04-05-2019, 09:44 PM   #56
2018 Intent 26M Owner

I towed a car from Ocala to Michigan using a tow dolly and it was not bad other than the one time I entered a motel parking lot off I-75 and there was no room to turn around...backing took forever with the wife as my guide!! The increased gas usage was minimal and trip was easy on Interstates. If your car can't be towed 4 down and/or you don't currently have towing set up just rent dolly one way from Uhaul and tow it. I have now spent over $2700 getting everything needed to tow my newly purchased 2010 Chevy Equinox and I stlll need to install everything next week.
feiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:53 PM   #57
2018 Intent 26M Owner

I have 2010 Equinox and have researched this issue...almost all Equinox drivers say they have never had the problem described in new GM bulletin and are continuing to follow instructions in the Owner Manual including removal os #32 fuse. FYI I purchased the fuse shut off switch and installed in 15 minutes so now I just flip the switch and fuse is in the shut off. Quick, clean.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:00 PM   #58
2018 Intent 26M Owner

here is link to fuse shut off switch I installed in 15 minutes...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As I said earlier...no need to follow new procedure GM notes as most Equinox owners have not experienced any problems following procedure noted in your Owners Manual under RV towing.

I am going to install BlueOx baseplate and use their tow bar and I have ordered the RVibrake3 system and they offer the vehicle brake light harness that installs without and spicing and joining of wires. Look under this forum topic: Towing, Hitching and Vehicles...there is a forum 100% on Equinox...read it all
Old 04-06-2019, 12:30 PM   #59
Winnebago Owner

is it easy to install?
Ps just checked at amazon. Won’t fit my 2015 equinox

QUOTE=feiter;3837224]I have 2010 Equinox and have researched this issue...almost all Equinox drivers say they have never had the problem described in new GM bulletin and are continuing to follow instructions in the Owner Manual including removal os #32 fuse. FYI I purchased the fuse shut off switch and installed in 15 minutes so now I just flip the switch and fuse is in the shut off. Quick, clean.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-06-2019, 04:05 PM   #60
2018 Intent 26M Owner

It fits all Equinox 2010-2015 this is true of all parts other than model (LS,LT,LTZ).

Read comments..two people commenting say they have 2015

Inot all very easy but need 3/4 drill bit