Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Smile Psst-Psst-Psst sound under Journey

Learned the hard way to change [replace] the air dryer in our 2001 Journey. Bought the rig a year ago. Had everthing I could think of serviced, lubed, fixed, cleaned and replaced. Did not get the former owners maintenance records [bad dealer-my fault] Air dryer was missed.

Very cold this morning. When the engine finely started the normal one PSSST of air from under the rear of the coach came on as PSSST-PSSST-PSSST maybe 50 times. Then the PSSST stopped and the air gauges were flat no air pressure.

Here I sit in my driveway. 330 HP in a 30,000 pound frozen lump that won't move. If it did move it would have no way of stopping.

Winnebago and Fraieghtliner said "Air dryer." I decide to call a mobile truck service. DW asked "How much will that cost?" My reply "Does it matter?" Well, 3 hours later a very nice young man by-passed the air dryer and now we can safely move the rig.
[cost $230.00]

Tomorrow it's off to the repair shop for a new air dryer. Then we can be on our way to Florida. [cost- Does it matter?]

Lesson: #1 PSSST-PSSST-PSSST --- means bad or frozen airdryer. #2 DON"T neglect the air dryer.

Pine Tree
pine tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

And if you do the scheduled drain of the air tanks as recommended in your owners manual you will see the water coming out of the air lines and know to change the filter before it freezes. My manual says to do this at least once a month. If any water mist is present it is time to service the air dryer.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Hi, Pine Tree. We live in "Pine Tree Village" in South Florida, and just today I was thinking I need to service the air system and replace the air dryer since I do not know the history on our new to us 4 months ago 2001 Sportscoach on a Freightliner chassis. Thanks for the heads up. I normally do most of my own work on the coach, but you have to remove all the air from the system so I think I will find a freightliner dealer. When you got the coach to the shop, what did it cost to replace the air dryer? Thanks again, DACOTAH
Dacotah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Just purchased my MH in June. Used it twice before storing it for the winter. I have a freightliner chassis too. Where are the air tanks and how would one go about draining them. Mine now lets out only one Psssst also. Dont want anything costly to happen to me, Thanks, Rivrduk 2000 tradewinds model 7373
rivrduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Freightliner chassis air drain lanyards will most likely be coiled up and stuffed up near the tanks as I have not yet heard of any RV manufacturer who bothered to string them out where they are accessible. If you slide under starting from the front you should be able to find the first two with no problem. Moving further back the third one will most likely be harder to find but by that time you will have seen what you are looking for which will help. The lanyards should be pulled in a directions that moves the release valve sideways rather than pulling it straight out. If you release all the air from all three tanks you can then safely work on the air system (make sure to have jack stands under the coach when working under it even if it is up on the jacks as once the air is out if the jack fails for any reason you may be crushed.).
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:58 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

On most Freightliner XC chassis, there are three (3) lanyards protruding thru the chassis frame on the passenger side behind the right front wheel. You have to reach up and over the wheel (mostly) to get to them.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #7
a k

Put a drop light on the drier then change the filter
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Had the air dryer serviced this morning. Cost $259.10. Good to go to Florida in the morning.

Here's what I learned: #1 service the filter every 36 months. #2 Notice I say "service" not change. It's my understanding that the service involves removing the entire air dryer unit from the coach. With the unit removed it is cleaned or replaced with a new one. #3 The unit is then reinstalled with a new canister filter.

Pine Tree
Old 02-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Re the air tank drain valves. On our 2001 Journey there are three "Lanyards" behind the right front wheel. The lanyard are light duty steel cables with a loop in the end. They protrude from holes in the frame, one from in front of the wheel and two from the same frame hole in back of the wheel. I find it helpful to turn the wheel out to gain access to the loops.

We have very cold winters here in Minnesota so I always dump these tanks in the fall before freeze up and storage. I have never seen a drop of water come out of these valves. Not even a mist of water. Never the less, our air dryer froze up with the results reported earlier. I consider this to have been my fault for not having the dryer serviced.

Pine Tree
Old 02-12-2011, 06:04 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Pssssst

Thanks to all of you for great information on the air system!! I will search for the lanyards on Monday when I go back to our storage area. Pine Tree, we moved to Florida about 15 years ago from Minneapolis, and sold our last motorhome just before we left, so its been a long time and the changes in motorhome systems have been huge. I thought it would be easy to pick up where we left off........I do not know how I would figure this all out without the iRV2 help. Thanks to all again. DACOTAH
Dacotah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:37 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Yes, IRV2 is a very active and informative site. It has helped me a great deal. Thanks to all

Pine Tree