Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2014, 03:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Proud new 2014 Journey owners, but

Hello All,

Newbies to RVing who bought a brand new '14 Journey 36M in March. We've taken it out 2x for shakedown trips resulting in multiple punch list items. Last trip woke up to water dripping from under the passenger slide out. Finally found a water line t-joint leaking when under pressure from city water.

Just found out that CW has to completely document every single item on the punch list w/photos, descriptions, etc. with Winnebago, even the simplest of adjustments!! This seems ridiculous, it seems that there should be some type of grace period before such meticulous review is required, I mean some of the items on the list should have been caught on final QC at the factory.

Anyone know if calling Winnebago can speed this process up? We can't take it out while it is torn up waiting for approval, parts, installation, etc. Very frustrating considering how much $$ spent.

Any input would be helpful...

Thanks, this site is a great resource!

Sean & Gidget
budlightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

BIL just bought a 2014 Bounder Classic and Fleetwood had dealer do same thing before they would approve warranty work on his unit. Maybe dealer related or manufacturer is wants proof before spending $$. Hope you get fixed quick and on the road and enjoy your travels.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I'm assuming you bought it from camping world? I'm also assuming it's the same dealer that you bought it from that's doing the repairs ?

My experience was buying in Houston and getting repairs done at a Dallas area cw. Dallas has to send info to Houston who then sends to factory for approval, then back to Houston then to dallas. And then parts follow the same procedure. Very long and frustrating.

Never use camping world for repairs if it can be avoided.
JC and Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC and Angie View Post
I'm assuming you bought it from camping world? I'm also assuming it's the same dealer that you bought it from that's doing the repairs ?

My experience was buying in Houston and getting repairs done at a Dallas area cw. Dallas has to send info to Houston who then sends to factory for approval, then back to Houston then to dallas. And then parts follow the same procedure. Very long and frustrating.

Never use camping world for repairs if it can be avoided.

Yes, same dealer we bought it from.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:41 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I see you are from IL. It might be worth a trip to make an appointment at the Winnabago service center and let them do all the items. I took mine their in April and it was worth the drive for sure.

just a thought
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:48 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

MajFrizz gave you good advice. Just make a list, call Winnebago Service Center and let them fix it. Enjoy the trip, Forest City,, and your new motorhome. New units always have a long punch list but the Service Center is the best place it get them fixed. Keep us posted on your progress.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by majfrizz View Post
I see you are from IL. It might be worth a trip to make an appointment at the Winnabago service center and let them do all the items. I took mine their in April and it was worth the drive for sure.

just a thought
Thanks for the advice. How long were you there and did you make an appt.?
Old 05-27-2014, 05:54 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

your time there depends on the length of the list and in my case I had a week to wait for certain electronic parts. but they know what they are doing there for sure. it is best to make an appointment, especially this time of the year. you can camp there overnight while it is worked on during the day.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:37 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Sounds crazy, never had this at my dealer unless it is something new
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:48 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Proud new 2014 Journey owners, but

It is so amusing to see that we all just have become NUMB to the lack of quality control from Winnebago. Maybe this is why they are second to Tiffin in regard to satisfaction. Yes, I know Tiffin has their issues as well. I am a Winnebago owner 2012 Itasca Meridain. I have been in service for eight weeks and over 75 items needing addressing. It is an industry wide lack of quality control. We pay thousands of dollars for these rigs and then spend weeks at service getting things fixed that should have been addressed at the factory. Oh well, Earthquakes driving down the road. But really can't someone at Winnebago say "enough, let's send these rigs out right".
mackspot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:01 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

What were some of you issues?

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:09 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Campingworld made me abandon winnebago . Try taking it somewhere ealse
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:30 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the replies.

Significant issues were with hardware on the slide out ottomans that convert to a bed, water leak referred to above, nav button on the LCD display broke the first trip, punch list totaled about 25 items, 5 were pretty critical.

I think our issue is more about the process than the items. We are new to this, learning more with every interaction, learning the questions to ask, etc.

Had a call w/service yesterday, sounds like most items are "fixed", except the navigation system.

Sean & Gidget
Old 05-31-2014, 06:50 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I am currently parked near a beautiful new Solei by Winnie. Owner isn't very happy at the moment as his street slide slide rails broke and his AC just won't cool the coach. He is having trouble getting parts, etc.

I really like the new Forza/Solei and I hope his experience is just a fluke.

Nick
Old 06-01-2014, 08:20 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

We just put a deposit down yesterday on a 2014 Solei 38R. The floor plan is perfect for our needs and for the most part, the build quality is decent. The biggest issue I have is over the quality of the cabinetry and some fit and finish issues. We spent two hours on the coach yesterday, did a test drive and provided the dealer a thirteen item punch list. This will be our fourth coach and I know that none will be perfect, but they should get close.

The 2006 National we bought new in 2006 had only one significant issue in five years of ownership that was handled under warranty.

The 2009 Tiffin we have now had to go back to Tiffin for three weeks of major repairs. They took care of all of the issues. It was just a major inconvenience.

I do have some concerns of the Solei and I hope that we don't have too many issues and if we do Winnebago stands behind their product. So far, the dealer has been very accommodating to our requests.
ctaurie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:40 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

When returning for warranty work issues on my 2013 Journey, My service manager only had to send pics on the big items. However he did need to get approval on all covered repairs. The first time I took it in they had the MH for a week & didn't get much of the 5 or 6 items repaired & had to make another appointment for the repairs. Again left it for a week while we were out of town on business. This time they finished all the items. Had one more trip back to dealer, they wanted it for a week again so they could order parts then install. I refused, told them they know what they need, order them, when they come in I will bring in the MH and they can do the repairs that day. They wanted it for longer but I refused & they complied. Ended up the parts took 2 weeks to come in any way, so it wouldn't have been repaired that time either.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:41 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlightman View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Significant issues were with hardware on the slide out ottomans that convert to a bed, water leak referred to above, nav button on the LCD display broke the first trip, punch list totaled about 25 items, 5 were pretty critical.

I think our issue is more about the process than the items. We are new to this, learning more with every interaction, learning the questions to ask, etc.

Had a call w/service yesterday, sounds like most items are "fixed", except the navigation system.

Sean & Gidget
Significant issues the hardware on the ottoman, nav button WOW
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:16 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

ctaurie1,

What are some of your concerns. As I look at the product I am trying to get as much info and opinion as possible.

Nick
Old 06-01-2014, 11:23 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Nick,

The Winnebago cabinetry is much thinner and of lesser quality than what I have on my Tiffin (even Tiffin cabinets have gotten a little thiner on the newer models) and the cabinet hinges seem a bit flimsy. The coach has some molding on the top of the full wall slide that has pulled loose and when they installed the microwave, it looks like they over-torqued one side causing the cabinet face panel above the microwave to bow out at the left lower corner. Also, the latch on the bedroom pocket door appears to have not been installed flush with the door. The curtain hooks for the curtain that hangs between the bunk area and salon did not line up so they will need to move the hooks on the curtain.

On the chassis, the A/C needed re-charging and also needed an alignment.

These issues are relatively minor and should be easy to correct. However, many of these should have been avoidable.
ctaurie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:52 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlightman View Post
Hello All,

Newbies to RVing who bought a brand new '14 Journey 36M in March. We've taken it out 2x for shakedown trips resulting in multiple punch list items. Last trip woke up to water dripping from under the passenger slide out. Finally found a water line t-joint leaking when under pressure from city water.

Just found out that CW has to completely document every single item on the punch list w/photos, descriptions, etc. with Winnebago, even the simplest of adjustments!! This seems ridiculous, it seems that there should be some type of grace period before such meticulous review is required, I mean some of the items on the list should have been caught on final QC at the factory.

Anyone know if calling Winnebago can speed this process up? We can't take it out while it is torn up waiting for approval, parts, installation, etc. Very frustrating considering how much $$ spent.

Any input would be helpful...

Thanks, this site is a great resource!

Sean & Gidget
I can think of a couple of reasons why this process is being followed. Winnebago, over the past several years, has had quality control issues. From what I have read the new ceo is working hard to keep Winnebago alive and well. This might be his inspiration as a way to show the workforce what they are producing and invoke new incentives to get things right the first time. My other thought is that the reputation of CW being tough to get quality work done is being challenged.

In any case, your coach is red tagged. Coming in July is the WIT club Grand National Rally. I have not gone (yet) but I understand that it is worth the time and money. Join WIT now so that when you do go to Forest City you can take advantage of the 10% discount in the store plus some other perks. But, in any case, believe what we are saying about taking your rig to the factory. Make an appointment first. There are power hookups available on a first come first get basis. Pamela Park is not far and great for dumping and getting water. You can camp there also for a small fee.

I hope I have not given you a TMI headache. This is a great land to RV in and your Journey needs to get you on your journey. Many happy trails to you.

Rick Y

Tags
journey