Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-26-2020, 07:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Proper shifting of the Allison transmission.

Not sure of the proper shifting on my Allison transmission on a 2011 Journey 40L. When Going from D to R Do I need to go into neutral after coming to a stop and then shifting into R? I had some type of an error code come up as I tried shifting into R. I had to go back into neutral with foot on brake a few times before it finally went into R. It made me a bit nervous wondering what i was doing wrong in the shifting of the transmission. Any information is appreciated.
Jerosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 08:34 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I shift D to R and back all the time w/o going to neutral.

What is the error code? The manual should define the code.

Or this website should define the error code: https://truckmanualshub.com/allison-...ult-code-list/

I assume you have the Allison 3000 6 speed? Also the shift control has displays for 2 numbers. The desired and the actual gear.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 09:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Not really an error code. It just blinks until I put it into neutral set the parking brake and then into the new gear. Then it goes into gear I take off the parking brake and it will go.
Old 12-26-2020, 03:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Have you tried to put the transmission into diagnostic mode to see if there are any error codes?

I the link I gave earlier there is this PDF document that shows how to get the transmission into diag mode and check for error codes.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rj...OI6Lv4b8jFaCyz
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 08:03 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I took your advice and went from D to R without shifting into neutral, Work perfectly. I think I was operating the transmission wrong and possibly confused the system. This motor-home has about 29K miles on it. I assume it is barely broken in. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2020, 09:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Our Allison transmission users manual explicitly states you must shift to neutral between drive and reverse.

Looking forward to our next Chapter!!
TheArthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 07:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerosenberg View Post
I took your advice and went from D to R without shifting into neutral, Work perfectly. I think I was operating the transmission wrong and possibly confused the system.

On our old Journey if the RPMs are too high it will not allow the transmission to shift from D to R, or vice versa. I think Allison built that in to protect the tranny.

For instance if you use the cruise to increase idle while parked, you cannot shift out of neutral until you turn the cruise off.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote