Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2014, 11:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Problem with Winnie Adventurer electronics

I just purchased a 2000 Winnebago Adventurer 37G. It has 29,000 miles and has been parked for most of its life. Everything seems to work fine with the exception of the rear camera and the radio and TVs. I'm thinking the TVs were hooked up to the park's system but can't be certain. I'll be checking these items out this weekend. I did print out "Service Tips" that also has a diagram of the wiring system from the antenna to the "wallplate" that I haven't even located yet. Very first RV so it seems I have a lot to learn and hoping this forum can help me out.

Link to pics: Winnie Photos by Waynes_02 | Photobucket

wayneofmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Get everything checked. EVERYTHING. I just bought a 2000 minnie 31C with 27000 miles. The lack of use is very hard on them. Rodent damage in engine compartment, belts and seal cracked. Tires dry rotted gasket-seal connector at sewar dump valve. Brakes, transmission, anything with rubber is at risk. I would not go too far from home your first trip. Good luck. Just remember, if you don't use it with a motorhome, you will lose it!
DBecker57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:14 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

enjoy your new mh,looks nice. As previously mentioned ,have it checked out by a good mechanic and RV tech with a good reputation, many fluids ,belts,filters will need to be replaced, replace tires,chauk and repair leaks throughout,especially roof and other penetrations, either camp out in driveway or a close cg and do some function checks on appliances, electric system,etc
it will be a fun project, enjoy
Old 07-17-2014, 06:24 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Congrats on your "new" MH. Like you, I'm new to RVing. We just started with a 2009 Sightseer 35J. I can't speak for your backup camera, but you might want to check that you're plugged in to a hot outlet for your TV. With your front TV, the outlet it's plugged into should be dead whenever the ignition is on. That's to keep you from watching it while driving. My MH also has a switch on the dash that selects either coach or engine power for the radio. Again, try one that you Know is hot. And something to keep in mind. Someone told me that I have a house, and that it needs all the care and repairs that any house needs - except that this one vibrates. That means many squeaks, rattles and stuff vibrating loose. Keep tightening, lubricating and protecting and have a wonderful time. I think we're all still learning.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I purchased the Winnie from a couple who purchased it from the gal who lived in it. They had it totally checked out, engine, tranny, fluids, rubber, overhauled generator, and everything seems in order. Only items that don't seem "in order" are the TVs and radio. Local Winnebago dealer said to bring it in and they'll check them out but did say that 2000 TVs do not respond to digital satellite/antenna signals and need new tvs. Front comes on but won't leave channel 2 or 3 "PBS", whatever that is. The rear doesn't seem to work at all, no power, nothing, - same with radio. Will be checking them out. Have it set up in yard.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Wayne....if you can locate a digital receiver box for these old TV's you can "get by" until you decide to invest in digital TV's. There is also a connection point for cable and external dish antenna in your electrical compartment. There may already be a digital receiver box in the component compartments next to the front TV, so check both sides of TV.
Also remember that generators fail more from non-use than from using them. Onan has an hour meter and depending on the age of a unit they can tell if it has been used frequently or not. Use it, use it use it. We run our generator on the road to cool the rig during vacation trips. Generators use very little fuel and if properly exercised can last for many years.
TomR43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:07 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks. I see in the box next to front TV two cables and a plug that I assume were to some sort of receiver box, cable or? but neither TV does anything except say "PBS" and will not change channel. Talked to Winnebago dealer service and they said, as you mentioned, that it's due to going digital. Lil lady wants to go to flatscreen anyhow and the rear bedroom TV is soooo small, so that's what we'll do.

Lots to learn about these creature comfort machines.