Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2019, 02:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

power loss

I have a 2016 Winnebago Vista. It has a Vortec V10 engine. I recently started the engine to move it and experienced significant power loss. Any ideas what could cause this? It is stored on the street, but I have never had an issue of this type. Thanks for your help and the benefit of your experience.
Wjkiwi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:42 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Check Engine light or wrench icon lit?
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I'd suggest getting an inexpensive OBD II code reader and see if any codes are showing. You can decipher them online.

Other than that, the only thing that immediately comes to mind is a loose or cracked vacuum hose.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:34 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Also, check the air filter housing and intake for for a mouse or rat nest. I had one in my Avalanche that had apparently been there for years.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

wrench lit

Yes, the wrench icon is lit. I did not see anything in the engine compartment out of place but there was something covered with tape that I don't recall being there before. If anything, there may be a hose that is missing but I am not sure. Can I damage the engine by driving it?
Wjkiwi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:10 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

The wrench means that the engine computer has detected something that is fairly serious. It's called "limp home mode". It means that you can drive it enough to get to a service shop. I just had one that my OBDII reader said was related to the mass airflow sensor and an air temp sensor. Luckily, mine was self induced. I forgot to plug in the connector for that stuff after I checked the air filter.

As noted earlier, you NEED to plug an OBDII reader into the OBD port and find out what it thinks is wrong. If you can't do it, a shop or some auto parts stores can do it.

Don't try to drive it on a trip until you fix it, or get it fixed...
Old 10-17-2019, 06:18 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
... there was something covered with tape that I don't recall being there before.

Can you post a picture of that?
Old 10-20-2019, 06:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Vista Power

There are mechanics and RV experts that provide sound advice. My novice experiences follow.

We had similar issues with a 2017 Vista 29VE. Power failures occurred a couple of times. If you have the bunk over the driver model, the lights in the bunk area are easy to leave on when the bunk is raised. (My grandson did it not me, of course.) The battery ran down in about a week.

We left the chassis/coach power switches on, which also ran down the battery in.

The chassis battery failed after non-use for three months. No, I did not maintain the battery. The battery was replaced with a maintenance free battery. We had the coach for about 4 months, before trading it for a Winnebago Forza diesel. (Forza's have their own issues.)

My personal take away from listening to the advice of the experts on this blog, is to maintain your own rig. It saves money and protects us.

Good luck. Power issues can be elusive in any vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjkiwi3 View Post
I have a 2016 Winnebago Vista. It has a Vortec V10 engine. I recently started the engine to move it and experienced significant power loss. Any ideas what could cause this? It is stored on the street, but I have never had an issue of this type. Thanks for your help and the benefit of your experience.
Papa Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Triton.

As an aside, you do not have a Vortec (GM) engine in a 2016 F-53 (Ford) chassis.
And, as others have suggested - we cannot diagnose an engine problem without OBD codes.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:12 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
As an aside, you do not have a Vortec (GM) engine in a 2016 F-53 (Ford) chassis.
And, as others have suggested - we cannot diagnose an engine problem without OBD codes.

V10 is a Triton and yes ODB codes will tell you with no guessing. 2016 depending on delivery date may still be under manufacturers chassis warranty so check that out first before trying home remedies.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:02 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I had a similar experience with my View. I filled the tank with diesel and drove home. Next time I tried to start it, it had no power. Turned the key on and off several times. I got it to run, then it would lose power. I diagnosed it as a bad tank of fuel, added a can of fuel cleaner. We drove 120 miles with it losing power then the power coming back. (I had a camping site reserved for a week and wasn't about to lose it ) After we parked it, I never had another problem. It just needed to clean the fuel in the filter. I had several lights on in the dash and they all went out the next day. Whenever I have a problem where the view goes into limp mode, I pull over, turn it off for a couple of minutes, and it has always started back up ready to go. The mercedes dealership taught me that. The sensors can be triggered by wind, sand, water, etc.and put you in limp mode. Resetting them by turning off the engine has worked several times on three different vehicles.
plrude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power