Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2021, 05:55 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Power Gear Slim Rack broken gib drive block

2016 Winnebago 38Q bedroom slide. Power Gear Slim Rack .Noticed the slide jumping, grinding and messing up in extension and retraction. Opened the forward exterior housing and seals and tried it, noticed the motor doing half turns in the drive blocks. That ain't right. Looked closer and saw cracks in the gib.

I'm debating trying to repair it myself or to send it off to a service center for months of sitting on a lot waiting its turn. Not sure I can get access from the inside to make the repair as the slide is within about 4 inches of a wall making access scary. So not convinced I can do this one myself.

Has anyone had any experience with this failure?? It happened on my other slide but the slide guts were replaced under warranty 4 years ago. Too late for warranty on this one.

Any ballpark idea what to expect for costs if I send it into the shop?

I've heard LCI has a replacement kit for just the gibs but can't call them until Monday.

I saw one older thread here where a fellow did it successfully but it seemed tedious and a bit intense. Given there is no clear accessibility to the area from the inside I'm not sure how to go at it. Bad shoulder to boot may decide it for me. Cost and time are issues as always.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:18 AM   #2
Site Team

There are shops that specialize in slide repair, I’ve seen a couple advertise but I didn’t commit them to memory, I’m sorry to say.

LCI has a repair facility but it’s in Indiana. Might be worth a drive.

NIRVC is in ATL and I’d trust them.
Old 03-21-2021, 03:22 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Yea have thought about NIRV. Before I do that I think I want to check and see if Southland is up to the task here at their new facility in LaGrange.

I have not totally ruled out trying it myself, but I'm not sure if my chainsaw and sledge hammer will hold up to cutting a 6'X6' hole in the wall open to get to the broken part??? (Just kidding-maybe?).

Actually we talked seriously about making a run up to Forest City and sitting on the lot to wait for a slot, I had good experiences with doing that on a previous issue with this same slide but that was almost 5 years ago. 1,000 miles each way though makes me want to repair it closer to home.
Old 03-22-2021, 05:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We removed ours long time ago to make a repair while we were waiting for parts. From the outside, snap the trim piece off and you will see a bunch of screws holding it to the frame, then the entire mechanism will come out. Be careful when you first pull it out as the motor is still connected, once you have it out, un plug motor and then you can remove entire mechanism and work on it. I think we put the slide about 2/3rds out to when we did this. We replaced parts and after several attempts to line up, got it working. The dealer had given us a couple of broken units to get parts from.
I attached a couple of docs that i had that may help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Schwintek-Views.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	339.2 KB
ID:	177971  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Schwintek Slideout Mechanism Replacement Procedure 120313-2.pdf (574.3 KB, 95 views)
Old 03-22-2021, 12:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

While it's possible to do it yourself, I took my 2016 Adventurer 27F to the factory service in Junction City, OR last summer. I had problems with the full wall slide, turns out the gib blocks were broken. I had them change from the version 1 to the most current version gib block/motor assembly. It took the tech from 7:30am to about 5:00 to fix the issue. I can't remember the entire cost, but seems to me the bill was about $1,700 or 2,100. The service facility closed the following week, so I'm really glad I got in when I did. I would advise having someone do the work who knows what they are doing...

I know the entire slide assembly was unscrewed from the coach and the slide manually extended a bit. Its more than just replacing the gib blocks, you may need to replace the other parts that connect the gear rail.
harrington63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:53 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Thanks everyone. Still pondering this but leaning towards heading to a shop
Old 03-28-2021, 05:56 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2014 38Q and had problems with bedroom slide jumping going in and out. Took to my closest Winnie dealer which was Davenport, Ia. I was told the rack system was crooked and needed replaced due to several teeth broken on track. Dealer tried to adjust first but because teeth missing, was not possible. Replaced entire rack on bedroom slide and solved the jumping. They had my coach for three weeks and cost was around 2700.00, tax and labor included. Unexpected shock to pocket book, but no more skipping and jumping. No problems with other two slides and keeping fingers crossed. Was told that Winnebago changed systems couple years later due to this apparent fairly common problem. Don't know if true or not.
RogTeri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, power gear