Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-09-2005, 08:55 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Having been to many gas stations in CA and NV it seems that the majority of fuel nozzles don't fit very well due to the clearance between the bodywork and the gas fill cap.

When I'm towing a 24ft trailer and have to use the truck gas pumps it gets even worse since the truck pump nozzles are much bigger.

Given that the tank holds 75 gallons and space does not seem to be a limitation, is there any reason why they have made this so awkward?

22ft TPD Trailer
Slowdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 08:55 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Having been to many gas stations in CA and NV it seems that the majority of fuel nozzles don't fit very well due to the clearance between the bodywork and the gas fill cap.

When I'm towing a 24ft trailer and have to use the truck gas pumps it gets even worse since the truck pump nozzles are much bigger.

Given that the tank holds 75 gallons and space does not seem to be a limitation, is there any reason why they have made this so awkward?

22ft TPD Trailer
Old 03-09-2005, 10:30 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I haven't experienced that problem. Also, are you sure your tank only holds 75 gallons. Specs say 90 gallons for FTL chassis and 100 for Workhorse (I wonder if they ever made and sold a Journey with a WH chassis - anyone seen one?).
Old 03-09-2005, 10:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Could be 90 gallons but the point I was making was that the hose nozzles I've used in CA are awkward to get in to the fill hole due to the angle/clearance between the hole and the top of the bodywork above the fuel door.

Must just be me

22ft TPD Trailer
Old 03-09-2005, 10:51 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Might be that there is a difference between the 39W and 39K Shallow slide vs deep slide and all that. Having said that, we thought we made the right choice when we got a 39W but we did not anticipate being in an RV park for almost 6 months every year. Now, we wish we had gone for the 39K. Then I could have shared your fuel fill problem.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:45 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I agree wholeheartedly with you. The filler neck could be canted outward a few more degrees and they could install one that will easily accept the truck pump nozzles. I often use the truck pumps, even at Flying J. If you try to use the RV pumps at noon it can take an hour. There seems to be no reason the chassis manufacturer installs auto type filler nozzles. I have queried both Winnebago and Freightliner and they both say the it doesn't appear to be an issue with owners.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 01:04 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We have the same problem. Door area is too small.had the nozzle stuck in there one day.
took 5 min to get it out. Poor design. Hate filling that thing because of that door.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

It is no better on the Workhorse chassis. I found out the hard way what our tank capacity was because of a defective tank sending unit. I put 99 gallons in it after it ran out of fuel. The good thing was that the Cummins is self bleeds the air so none of the lines had to be bled.
Terry
Old 03-10-2005, 04:12 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Well, I'm glad it's not just me!!

Thanks for your replies.

22ft TPD Trailer
Old 03-11-2005, 03:26 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

I agree, I'm glad I'm not the only one to struggle. Most of the time, perhaps after some chipped paint, I can get the nozzle situated to allow the pump to run at the slowest automatic speed.
tboeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 04:28 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I think I have the same filler pipe as you do. I always use truck pumps and found that it is best not to poke the pump nozzle into the pipe too far. In fact I barely put in in enough to hang on the pipe. At that point I am able to take the high speed fuel delivery at any rate the pump can deliver. I never use the skinny car nozzles.
Walt
Old 03-11-2005, 09:09 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

With the car sized fuel cap, how do you even get the tip of the truck nozzle in. I've used them a couple of times but I have to hold the nozzle up to the cap threads inside fill pipe.
Terry
Old 03-11-2005, 09:16 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

By holding the end up It's a pain when you have to use a truck pump and your tank is almost empty!

22ft TPD Trailer
Old 03-21-2005, 05:23 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

The problem has gone on for a quite awhile with Winnebago. I now have the 2nd motorhome that does this "terrible fuel fill". The only none technical solution I have found to this problem is:
1 Insert the nossle just a small way
2 Turn the nossle to about 2:00 angle
3 Hold the nossle while it is filling

Nothing else has worked as well as this has for me. I used to life the fill side with the jacks to increase the angle of the fill (bad). Try it you may like my 1,2,3 steps.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:20 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

SlowDragan-
I have the same problem with my 2004 36' Meridian. If winnebago & Freightliner don't think this is a problem, then their heads are in the sand and I can see where they come up with some of their other designs. Their engineers undoubtedly have never actually used the units.On our last trip I got the rim of the filler nozzle hooked under the lip of the tank neck and thought I would never get it loose. Almost paniced. All they would have needed to do would have been just tilted the neck downward a 1/2 inch or so. Maybe they will eventuall read enough of these posts that they will get the idea.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 08:30 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Let's hope so!!

Just had to use the truck pumps again and it was a pain (literally!) holding the nozzle at the requisite angle. What a truly stupid design.

22ft TPD Trailer
Old 03-23-2005, 07:30 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

I've had my Journey for only 6 weeks and have added fuel X 4...twice at 'auto' diesel pumps with the smaller nozzle and twice at truck pumps. Either way, there seems to be no way to put the nozzle into the fill tube without foaming and immediate shut-off. Since it is a relatively short piece of pipe, wonder if one could add a larger fill pipe?? Might visit local truck parts place and see what's available.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 08:07 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

I occassionally use the car sized nozzles, but usually end up at the truck pumps and use the larger nozzles. Like most others, I only insert the nozzle part way so the fuel can flow go straight down the pipe. Seems if I insert the nozzle the whole way, the fuel come out the side of the nozzle and hits the side of the filling pipe and shuts the flow off. The fuel only flows so fast down the fill pipe since it doesn't have a whole lot of slope. I've been filling with that technique the last few years and it isn't a hassle.

Incidently, the 3/4 car nozzles fill at less than 10 gallons a minute. Our local truck stop has posted the the truck nozzles fill at a minimum of 30 gallons a minute on the lowest setting. 30GPM is a pretty high flow rate for fuel to flow down the hose into the tank. For a truck where you put the fuel directly into the tank, it's not a problem, but having to flow down the hose into the tank takes some time since there isn't much slope on the hose.

Personally, if the "fix" is to raise the fill location on the coach, I'd rather they leave it alone. Right now, the tank is between the frame rails, and the fill location is as high as possible but still beneath the floor. I prefer keeping it there rather than have a fuel hose penetrate the floor to raise the fill point.

Did you guys ever notice the gravity fill location for the freshwater tank is above the floor even though the water tank is located at the same height as the fuel tank? The higher height lets you fill it faster. I don't want my fuel hose up inside the coach like the water fill hose though. I'm thinking it wouldn't be that great of a design in case of an accident.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:52 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

They wouldn't have to raise the fill location, just make it a larger opening where it is and perhaps a slightly better angle.

22ft TPD Trailer