Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2021, 01:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Please help me understand.

I am a 78 yr. Old mom, who has longed for a long time to have an RV again.. Many, many years ago when I was married we had one, and I loved it. I liked waking up in the morning in the middle of nowhere, making our coffee, and stepping outside to take it all in.

My son, now 40 wants me to have this experience before I leave this earth. Because my son and I require 2 different sleeping areas, and he is a tall 6’2” fella, I have been looking mostly at class C’s. My reasons for looking at class C’s are:

1.Better sleeping options (those short couches in a class A) wont make it for him.
2.Better safety in a class C in case of frontal crash
3.Less expensive repairs (my son is not one bit mechanically inclined) and I am on a limited income.

Because of finances, I can not look at new units. My top budget is $40,000 max, and then I will most likely need to spend more for some repairs, maybe tires, and I want to have solar, as we will have to do most of our overnight stays boondocking.

I am finding mostly Class A’s being listed and for less money than the Class C’s of similar age etc. What I do like in the Class C’s is the expansive glass in front of you to take in the sights while driving, and in some cases more class to look out of in general.

Please tell me why you favor your Class A’s. Is it you like a larger roomier couch, the outside storage, the look? Is there something I’m missing in my thought process?
Schill93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I've owned both an older class C and a more recent class A. If you or your son are not mechanically inclined I would find someone that is and have them give you their two cents worth before making a purchase. From my point of view forty grand is a generous budget. My price point with added repairs (new tires, new master cylinder etc...) has been below ten. IMO plenty of good options out there if you do your homework.

The class C was easier to work on, easier to park, easier to drive. The class A has been more of a challenge getting comfortable driving and you really have to think ahead when looking for a place to park and backing out but it does have more power and gets a little better MPG. It is much more spacious living wise and has a better layout in general. More storage as well. It has been a good fit for us. My in laws are your age and they love to travel in our MH.

To be honest, we have enjoyed our MH and the places it has taken us. Can I ask what you and your husband had years ago?
MinntoMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinntoMich View Post
I've owned both an older class C and a more recent class A. If you or your son are not mechanically inclined I would find someone that is and have them give you their two cents worth before making a purchase. From my point of view forty grand is a generous budget. My price point with added repairs (new tires, new master cylinder etc...) has been below ten. IMO plenty of good options out there if you do your homework.

The class C was easier to work on, easier to park, easier to drive. The class A has been more of a challenge getting comfortable driving and you really have to think ahead when looking for a place to park and backing out but it does have more power and gets a little better MPG. It is much more spacious living wise and has a better layout in general. More storage as well. It has been a good fit for us. My in laws are your age and they love to travel in our MH.

To be honest, we have enjoyed our MH and the places it has taken us. Can I ask what you and your husband had years ago?
Yes, we had a Southwind. I guess it had to be a Class A, but my son insists it was a class C, which I don't think they ever made, but we're talking over 40 years ago. Today I was looking at a 2005 Fleetwood Southwind Class A on line. It looked very nice, but had just under 60,000 miles on it, which isn't a lot for it's age, but doesn't leave a lot of miles to put on it, before no one else will want it. I love all the windows.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:00 AM   #4

OP: How many miles do you plan on driving per year; and how long do you plan on using the RV on each trip?

Note: I would never buy an old gas rig. And just because you don't know much about diesel RVs, that's no reason not to consider one.

...And whoever get's the couch is not going to be a happy camper! ...Funny you think a Class-C will accommodate your son better, but I am not a Class-C fan unless you tell me you want visit every Beach Park in California.

Can your son sleep in a reclining chair?

What months do you plan to travel?

And when you are done with your trip do you plan to sell the RV?

Everything points to buying an older diesel if you ask me.

QUESTION FOR ALL

* What is the most comfortable couch-sleeper made in both Class-A and Class-C motorhomes?

* Are there any RV or after market recliner chairs you can put in an RV, that you can recommend to a 40 year old male, where he can get a comfortable night's sleep?
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I might look at buying an older Class A and gas as a less difficult option but then to get better sleeping for both, I might look at one with bunk beds if that might suit. The couch or dinette is not good for sleeping for adults.
Anything to sleep on that has a big crack or fold down the middle is not for me!
It can be done in a pinch but not fun!
An RV with two full beds is not going to be easy to find!
We have had both C and A's and the big difference is in the driving and headroom in the cab area when stopped.
Class C are often mounted on a modified chassis which tends to be less stable than a better planned class A for weight in front of the rear axle which is often what makes it more stable. With more length and weight behind the rear axle, it tends to swing and sway around more, making it harder to drive.
I like gas for the more familiar operation and many more service places. Looking at the cost of both, I find gas is somewhat less expensive but done more often where things like an oil change on diesel puts me off. I like my expenses to be in smaller bites, even if more often.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:13 AM   #6
Site Team

Why not rent a Class C for a short trip with your son and see how it goes? There are plenty of places that rent them so you should be able to find one.

If you do you’ll get a great idea of the driving, setting up, breaking camp and sleeping requirements for both of you.

It will not be exactly cheap but the learning experience will be super valuable.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

The rental idea is a good one unless you have already pretty much decided. Honestly - that's what happened to us. And we bought an old gasser. 05 Adventurer with 30k miles for $50K last summer. We did run into some issues with the jacks (bought a warranty) but nothing that stopped the 2 of us with 2 cats - we have had a blast.

We have only put about 6k miles on it so far but it appears to be holding up really well. Ours has painted coachwork and was kept indoors so looks in really good shape - engine and trans all good so far. The main reason we didnt go far with the C class is the front overhang. You rarely see them with no dents and looking at used, most were dented or had obvious repairs. But the C classes might have the large bed over the cab which might be needed for your son? Newer A classes have them but you might have to modify an older one for that.

Just suggestions - hope they help. Community here is very welcoming and helpful.
Let us know what you end up deciding!
Old 02-25-2021, 02:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Good for you, for being ready to take on a new challenge. I am almost 78, and, when my husband died, 3 years ago, I used the Life Insurance he left me to buy a 2009 Winnebago View 24H. It only had 16,000km on the Diesel engine and was in immaculate condition. My youngest son, also 40,is a mechanic, so came with me as I looked at some real clunkers. I paid a bit more for this, but have had no issues, other than needing to replace the tires, which had lots of tread, but had “aged out”. I assume you will want to share the driving with your son? A View is so easy to drive and park. I find it much easier than the 42’ combined Tahoe and small travel trailer which I drove once my husband was no longer able to drive. I took the View to Prince Edward Island in the summer of 2019, taking my two youngest grandchildren. The 17 year old grandson, who is over 6’, slept easily in the over cab bunk. I use the sofa bed, which is comfortable now that I have added a 3” memory foam topper. Covid put a crimp in travel plans last year, but I managed several stays in Ontario Provincial parks, and learned how to dry camp by camping in my own driveway, with friends from the informal RV group we have formed. There were 6 small motorhomes, all socially distanced. We had a great 3 days. So, my vote would be for the flexibility of a Class C. You go girl!
Katy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Assuming your son is agile, you'll be looking with a Class C with both an amply sized overhead bed for him and a "regular" bed for you. I, personally wouldn't want to sleep on a fold-out, even with a mattress topper. It's also a pain to have to put it away and set it up every day and night. This will mean larger as opposed to smaller Class Cs. There are also what are known as B+ motorhomes which may have what you want.

Another alternative is a motorhome with two twin beds if that isn't too much togetherness:

https://smallrvlifestyle.com/small-r...d-floor-plans/
BobC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 03:52 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Wow, good input. But I am unclear of the drivability of Class A's. I thought they were harder to drive and wondered the road more. So it would take more work to keep it from weaving to the side. Can someone clarify this for me.

Truthfully, I am torn on size. On one hand, I would like a smaller unit like a 24 to 26' in a Class C, with a cab bed, but most of these units have the open corner bed, and as I have sleeping problems, I would like to have a sleeping area with a door, so my son (and 80 lb. dog) would not wake me up in the morning. There is a great layout for us in the Minnie Winnie 26a or Itasca Spirit 26A, which has the same configuration. They only made this configuration for two years, so it's difficult to find one.

As far as how long we would intend to be out. Well there would be one very long trip I would want to make. That would entail a trip to Colorado to see one of my sisters. I'm in Nevada. Then on to Virginia to see my other sister.

After that is over than, we will probably be taking shorter trips in the Southwest area.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:55 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schill93 View Post
Wow, good input. But I am unclear of the drivability of Class A's. I thought they were harder to drive and wondered the road more. So it would take more work to keep it from weaving to the side. Can someone clarify this for me.
It's not that cut and dried. I know personally, in my experience, my Class A drives vastly better than my Class C.

Yes, you'll see tons of posts about all the suspension mods gas Class A drivers do to improve drivability. I've don't all of those myself. But the Class C drove much worse and it was so bad that rather than try to fix it I sold it.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:41 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Have you looked at a twin bed model, they are available in all 3 classes. I really like the Via 25T even though I bought the 25Q. The 25Q has a couch that opens into an air bed, looks just like a sleep number mattress but have not slept on it yet. Class A Vias, Vistas and Reyos are cheaper than Class C rigs of the same length. What I didn't like about the Sprinter based Class C rigs was they were all very cramped feeling just walking in the door, I could just imagine them full of gear. The Via is very open in the cab/couch/dinette area compared to the more expensive C class models. Yes it's not quite as easy to drive, the C's I drove did feel more controllable maybe because in the A class you are way in the middle of the cab, can't even lay your arm out the window, feels huge. Doesn't take long to get used to it though and no need to be in a hurry.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:11 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
I am a 78 yr. Old mom, who has longed for a long time to have an RV again.. Many, many years ago when I was married we had one, and I loved it. I liked waking up in the morning in the middle of nowhere, making our coffee, and stepping outside to take it all in.

My son, now 40 wants me to have this experience before I leave this earth. Because my son and I require 2 different sleeping areas, and he is a tall 6’2” fella, I have been looking mostly at class C’s. My reasons for looking at class C’s are:

1.Better sleeping options (those short couches in a class A) wont make it for him.
3.Less expensive repairs (my son is not one bit mechanically inclined) and I am on a limited income.

Because of finances, I can not look at new units. My top budget is $40,000 max, and then I will most likely need to spend more for some repairs, maybe tires, and I want to have solar, as we will have to do most of our overnight stays boondocking.

I am finding mostly Class A’s being listed and for less money than the Class C’s of similar age etc. What I do like in the Class C’s is the expansive glass in front of you to take in the sights while driving, and in some cases more class to look out of in general.

Please tell me why you favor your Class A’s. Is it you like a larger roomier couch, the outside storage, the look? Is there something I’m missing in my thought process?
You have gotten many a great recommendation, for sure. With you being 78, I like the suggestion that you rent for one year...take that long trip, see how it goes, see how you handle the bump and grind of the road, as well as the hours upon it. The camp, and de-camp, and then if you do well with the entire trip, health as well as vigor, then, and only then, I'd think about investing the thousands of dollars for one of ownership.

I think the best advice you got in this thread was to spec out a rental the way you would want one to own...and take to the road, THOUSANDS of dollars still left in your bank account, and a decision that needs not be rushed for this trip alone! No matter how you decide...have a blast...both you and your son! Bon Voyage!
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 05:15 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Class C / A

Quote:

I presintly have a C . It does handle better than my last A. As for room I prefer the A. We live in it about 4 months a year and although the C is a 32 foot full wall slide it doesn't have the room the A had. As far as fuel mileage goes I can see very little different. Both Ford v10 engine and transmission. Remember the c is on a stretched van chassis and the a is on a chassis built for a motor home.
68SILVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 05:20 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I agree with Katy2 (post#8). She bought the best model year View ever made!

Our 2009 has the "entertainment center", so I can't speak to the cab-over bed, but from what I've read I believe it would be fine for your son.

I'm about 6'2" myself and I find the corner bed in our "J" model large enough. I can stretch out fully. We replaced the mattress with a memory foam mattress from Costco (cut to fit).

My wife used to sleep in the corner bed with me but along with our Rotty/Mastiff Lucy it was just too tight -- so they sleep in the dinette bed with a memory foam topper. She's 5'2" and Lucy is about 100 lbs. My wife tells me she is very comfortable there. If you are much taller though it may be a different story -- depending upon how you sleep.

I realize that most owners of RVs (or almost anything) else are biased toward what they have, but after about 12 years of reading forum posts and studying RVs I really do think the View/Navion -- particularly the 2009 -- is a good choice (reasons why on request ). I'm also more than happy to point out the flaws.

There are other good choices, but most of them cost significantly more -- like the LTV Unity (Canadian).

The ones that cost less are typically built on a Ford E350/450 chassis. Nothing wrong with that, in fact, they are much easier and generally less expensive to get repaired. However, the V10 gas engine gets about 7-8 mpg. Many people put too much emphasis on mileage -- it is only a fraction of overall operating cost -- but still, a V/N gets about double the mpg. Other differences where the Sprinter has an advantage are cab space (leg/foot room) and no "dog box" (engine cover); noise; visibility; ride & handling; and (perhaps) safety.

On the other hand, the Ford is probably more reliable overall, and it has a greater GVWR, so all else equal, you can carry more 'stuff' with the Ford.

Either way, Ford or Sprinter, I'd recommend a class C. They are safer and easier to drive and park than a class A. For example, the V/N will fit in a single standard parking spot -- if there is nothing behind it and you can back in and let the rear of the coach hang over.

I've driven school buses and large straight trucks but I would not want an RV that is any larger than the View.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:47 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I am 77 and we have been enjoying our 2011 View Profile for 6 years. I would recommend a C for many of the reasons mentioned above. I am 6-2 and slept comfortably in both beds. Finding a reasonable used RV now days is going to be tough. The idea of renting sounds like a good option. That way you can take your time to look and buy when the deal is right. Also in the meantime rent a C and A and compare which type you like better. Good luck!
gomango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:03 AM   #17
Boondocker

There's plenty of room for a tall person in the over-cab bunk of a Class C, if they don't mind climbing the ladder - and if it's just the two of you, the corner bed in the rear of an approx. 25 ft Class C should be okay for you. A newer, used Minnie Winnie 25B with no slide-outs might be a good budget choice. I feel that when it comes to budgetary constraints, a Class C is a good pick, because your never have to worry about finding repairs or parts for the chassis. I think there's a Ford dealer in just about every town of any size! The last thing you want is to be stranded somewhere for a week, while you wait for a Class A windshield to show up from the other side of the country.

I agree with creativepart about the typical driving characteristics of motorhomes, but I have found that air shocks in the rear of a Class C help immensely. Another thing to note is Class C motorhomes tend to manoeuvre easily, more like a passenger vehicle and have a much lower profile - my Minnie Winnie 31K is about 11ft 3in at the top of the air conditioner, whereas my friend's Adventurer 38Q is 12ft 6in high. This can limit access to some roads, and add to the stress of driving if you're not used to something that tall.
Four Seasons is offline   Reply With Quote