Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2020, 07:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

PDI on New Forza 38W

Hello everyone, I am in the process of buying our first RV and am looking for any help this forum has from more experienced RVers. We had a Forza 38W built and delivered. We did our “orientation” yesterday and there were some obvious issues that should have been addressed. A 1/2” x 4” scratch at eye level on the paint, dirty on the inside showers and cabinets, slide button inoperable to name a few. They are addressing the issues. We plan on hiring a RV inspector to come out with us when it is “ready” for us to take delivery. There was a lot of rust on the chassis for the RV being brand new. I don’t think the dealership washed the RV upon delivery. Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated. The RV is in Ashland, VA
Deep Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:28 AM   #2
Site Team

First congrats on the new RV. Well done!

Next, some background, is this your first RV? What's your experience level?

Two you can count on the fact that the dealer did as little (or nothing) as possible. The sad fact is, they will wait for the buyer to give them a punch list of things to repair, replace, clean up, etc. It's a lousy way of doing business, but that's how it is.

Have you signed the purchase papers yet? If not DON'T! Dealers all say, "Go ahead and sign now and we'll fix everything." But again, sadly, once they are paid they are loath to do anything. Oh, they fix it, but not necessarily right away or right.

Good idea to get an inspector, especially if you're new to all this.

Once you are totally satisfied it's all right and you sign the purchase papers, don't stop there. Take the RV to the nearest camping spot - camp at the dealer if they allow it. And stay in it for 2 to 4 days. Then and only then will you have a really solid knowledge of anything not working or that you don't know how to operate.

You're spending a LOT of money to buy this thing. Don't settle for empty promises or bad products. Get this right or you'll regret it.

PS. I can't stress enough the need to camp in it immediately. I can't tell you how many horror stories I've read about folks that buy in March and put the RV in storage until "summer" and then are heart broken on their first trip when dozens of items are broken or non-functioning and their dealer is not accommodating (or worse) about making repairs to save a long-planned vacation.
Old 03-07-2020, 12:56 PM   #3
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Sea View Post
Hello everyone, I am in the process of buying our first RV and am looking for any help this forum has from more experienced RVers. We had a Forza 38W built and delivered. We did our “orientation” yesterday and there were some obvious issues that should have been addressed. A 1/2” x 4” scratch at eye level on the paint, dirty on the inside showers and cabinets, slide button inoperable to name a few. They are addressing the issues. We plan on hiring a RV inspector to come out with us when it is “ready” for us to take delivery. There was a lot of rust on the chassis for the RV being brand new. I don’t think the dealership washed the RV upon delivery. Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated. The RV is in Ashland, VA
Heeeey. Congrats.
Yeah, like Creative said, don't deliver ANY funds until you're ready to take possession. Great idea to bring in the inspector, because the dealer is counting ON YOU to do the inspection or not inspect it at all and just take possession. If YOU do the inspection the dealer is counting on you to Miss a A LOT of deficiencies and then just fix the FEW that you found.
As for your chassis being rusty; well you must know that when Freightliner makes the chassis (for most Motorhomes) they store them outside, 6 mos, 1 yr, 1 yr and 1/2, until they get an order from Winnebago, Thor, Forest River (Birkshire), Tiffin, American Coach, Monaco, Newmar, Fleetwood, Holiday rambler, Coachmen, just to name a few. In fact when you start buying Parts for your rig (yes indeed you will. inevitably) it's good to Know the Freightliner Chassis Vin Number, the Winnebago Vin# and serial # and if you can get to it your Cummins Diesel Engine number, which is on the Header of your motor, How you get to it I don't Know. On mine I have to pull up the floor hatch in my rear bathroom, which I haven't had to do so far thank God.
Now, if there are just too many deficiencies for you to handle and/or you don't like all that rust then just Walk away. There are many more dealers out there. We drove 400 miles to get ours and I would have gotten on a plane to find the right one if I would have had to. It's a lot of money so be patient and prudent.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the info. This is our first RV. I have not signed any purchase papers. Not sure how I feel about spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on something that a dealer barely looked at. Seems like all of us would get better service but the RV culture is different than buying anything else. Somehow the dealerships/companies have everyone thinking it’s ok when something’s not right at delivery. I hope we can work everything out, the family and I are excited. Thanks again for your input.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:55 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Sea View Post
Thanks for the info. This is our first RV. I have not signed any purchase papers. Not sure how I feel about spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on something that a dealer barely looked at.
Here's the deal with RVs. With your first one comes a sometimes difficult lesson... namely, you're not buying a car. Everything is different then a car purchase.

Unlike a car dealer, RV Dealers mostly expect YOU to be the one to tell them what needs attention. I guess this way they don't put any of their time and money into something you may not complain about.

Here's a really big difference. Dealers in general are horrible about service after the sale.

Unlike a car dealer that has a strict contract with the manufacturer to service and repair your car quickly and honestly, RV dealers have a much looser arraignment with the RV manufacturer. Warranty work is generally a lower priority than other repair work that pays them better. Though the dealer will paint a different story before the sale.

Before you purchase your Forza you'll have the dealer's full attention and he'll mostly do whatever it takes to get you to close on the deal. Afterwards, it's more like "Get in line and OH, by the way, the line is 2-months long."

Naturally, first time buyers have high expectations. Like buying a car, they expect the RV to be well designed, engineered, assembled and shipped. The truth is, they are all more or less slapped together, with obvious flaws and 3rd party equipment that is sourced at the lowest cost possible.

OK, I've posted a really dark and dire description here of RV Ownership. But there is the other side. You will find much to love in owning your RV and you and your family will have a blast using it.

Just read these and other (www.irv2.com) forums as much as you can and try to get a true picture of what to expect.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Will do. Fingers crossed for everything to go well. Thanks again for the info.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Congratulations on your new rig and like everyone says it's harder to get things fixed once they're paid. I'm talking from personal experience, not impossible but frustrating if your stubborn like me. The simple things sometimes are better fixed by you if you're able and willing too but whether it's new or used run everything plugged in and off the generator that includes every light, plug, washer dryer full cycles, cooktop, frig, awnings including wind retractor, Generator, AGS, vents etc. Check the fluid levels on engine and generator and something I took almost an entire day checking everything, crawling underneath looking and in the end they had my punch list but I still missed something when I did my PDI
and found it when I got home days later on my 2018 Forza 38W was the tire pressure, I found the rear inside passenger tire at 38 psi. I was not happy called the service manager and today the rig having all its tires checked and replaced at their cost if need be. My point is check even the simplest things and take it for a nice long ride too. Enjoy !!!
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote