Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2018, 05:25 PM   #1
Let's kill some bugs!

Outdoor TV lock

While going through my new Vista 32YE today, inspecting things, and learning about how things are designed and put together, I noticed the outdoor TV had some minor scratches on the upper right corner. Closer inspection discovered it was rubbing on the door when it's locked shut for travel.

When I pulled the TV out, I noticed a locking pin mechanism that supposed to keep the TV LOCKED, retracted, AWAY from the door so it doesn't rub when closed during travel. The problem was my latch wasn't locking. I didn't have to pull release strap to pull the TV out. When I pushed it in, I could hear the latch lock make contact, but it didn't lock the TV in the retracted position.

Further inspection revealed two adjustable feet on the back of the TV mount. These feet are to keep the TV from bouncing around when latched in the retracted position. It didn't take long to figure out these two feet were never adjusted correctly for the latch to actually engage and LOCK correctly. Simply adjusting the these two rubber feet inward about 1/4" fixed the problem, allowing the latch pin to engage with the latch hole. The latch actually locks now, so when I want to pull the TV out, I must pull the latch RELEASE STRAP at the bottom to release the TV LOCK PIN to articulate out, as needed.

Hope this helps others. Does your TV locking mechanism latch OK? If not, check and adjust the feet on the back of the TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV TV feet.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	170666   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV TV mounts2.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	311.8 KB
ID:	170667  

John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Good find to spot a small problem while it's still small!
I might read a bit more into this and say the shiny nut should be tightened against the front as a way to "lock the adjustment? And since I'm a bit paranoid about things moving as we bump them up the road, I might also add just a small touch of thread locker on them.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:34 PM   #3
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Good find to spot a small problem while it's still small!
I might read a bit more into this and say the shiny nut should be tightened against the front as a way to "lock the adjustment? And since I'm a bit paranoid about things moving as we bump them up the road, I might also add just a small touch of thread locker on them.
The jam nuts were tight, but the stabilizing feet were never adjusted to the right depth to work properly. Of course you have to re-tighten the jam nut to secure the adjustment, that's a given. You could use LocTite if you wanted, but I don't think it's necessary in this application.
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door