Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2005, 06:35 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I can't see any way around the fact that we are going to have to stay here (Washington DC) and live in our motorhome this winter. I'm a little nervous about this as I was told that the Sightseer is not designed for winters. Bill and I can bundle up but we have four birds that can't. We don't have much money which is why we'll live in our MH starting in November. We will stay at Cherry Hill RV Park which is expensive but is the only RV park in this area that is open year 'round. Any suggestions as to how we can make our MH warm and cozy during the winter months?

Bill & Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 06:35 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I can't see any way around the fact that we are going to have to stay here (Washington DC) and live in our motorhome this winter. I'm a little nervous about this as I was told that the Sightseer is not designed for winters. Bill and I can bundle up but we have four birds that can't. We don't have much money which is why we'll live in our MH starting in November. We will stay at Cherry Hill RV Park which is expensive but is the only RV park in this area that is open year 'round. Any suggestions as to how we can make our MH warm and cozy during the winter months?

Old 07-02-2005, 04:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

As new owner of a 2004 Sightseer, I am unsure about how to help. However, I would call Winnebago Customer Service at 1-800-537-1885 and ask for some advice.

I would surely buy an good electric heater or 2 and I would install (or have installed) the "Hot Rod" electric hot water heater element to save $$ on propane.

Well I am not fully sure, but I think the water services, etc are contained in areas that receive some heat, but I would check on this and add fiberglass insulation where possible.

I would also be weather wise and take precautions to protect the water hoses from freezing...electric tape wraps !!

Unless you plan to move the RV, I would fashion some sort of skirt that fits the bottom of the RV and encloses it on all sides. This will protect it from wind and rain and minimize heat loss.

Well not knowing your circumstances that will keep you in Wash, DC, but if I were fulltiming, I would do it in much warmer climates.

Your situation may fit the labor market in Florida where there still is a shortage of skilled workers. I know of many RV parks that are only $375 per month for RV'ers and work is nearby.

Many years ago my son said he was quitting college and becoming a bum. I said OK, but do it where it is warm because it is no fun being bum in the snow !!

LOL and keep us up to date on your progress.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 04:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

We have a 2004 Sightseer 35N on the Workhorse chassis and have survived down to 2 degrees above zero.
There is basement heat, but it's not designed for temps below about 20'F according to a Winnebago customer service guy I spoke to.
In order for the basement heat to be effective, you need to run the furnace at above 70 degrees.

What we did was use a couple of Pelonis ceramic cube heaters to save on propane and turn the furnace down to 55'F at night.
We also put a small electric heater with thermostat in the service area storage bay. It will keep the entire area up to 65 degrees. We put a remote thermometer in the bay to keep track of the temp.

We use a down comforter to keep us warm in bed and that works very well.

I got a black high pressure water hose and taped a heat tape to it, then covered the hose with sections of foam pipe insulation. I taped the joints with duct tape. I have not left it connected at temps below 15'F; so don't know how low of a temp it will do the job at.
The birds will pose a problem unless you can get propane delivered to the motor home. My Sightseer uses a tank of propane in about 6 or 7 days if we keep the heat up. We couldn't get propane delivered where we were, so I now have an "Extend a Stay" hose connected to the tank and have an external 40 pound tank that I can take to the propane store and fill. That way I don't have to move the coach every few days.

Normally we don't stay in cold places during the winter but we were needed by my wife's parents because of their health problems and had no choice at the time.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:10 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thank you so much for your answer to my question about our Sightseer and winter. I was hoping that someone whjo had a Sightseer and had survived a winter, would post an answer. I wrote this same question on another RV forum site and received the answer that we couldn't do it. Thank you for the re-assurance that it CAN be done. As for our birds, I've decided that it would probably be best if we boarded them out during the cold weather.
Janice

Old 07-03-2005, 10:51 AM   #6

>I was told that the Sightseer is not designed for winters.

Neither is any other motorhome! And apart from a few RVs which have un-enclosed holding tanks which are exposed to the elements, rather than being enclosed in a heated basement; most are capable of at least *coping* with winter. Winnebago products tend to be amongst the best designed RVs out there for cold weather camping.

For long-term cold weather RVing, the primary concerns don't really go beyond having to re-fill your propane tank every 3 or 4 days.

Preventing your water hose from freezing is a non-issue. There is no need for a continuous water connection. Simply get the water hose out and refill the fresh water tank as the need arises.

Since Winnie basements are not at all insulated, that's the first weakness I would address. IMO, the simplest and least expensive way to address this issue, would be to pick up a few sheets of ultra-cheap styrofoam insulation from Home Depot; and line the most conveniently accessible uninsulated areas of your basement.

While electrical heaters are economical, and will keep your rig appropriately heated down to about 32F; beyond that, you have to consider how much heat is getting into the basement to prevent freezing. It's a really good idea to have thermometer mounted in the basement for the purpose of monitoring what's going on below.

You might benefit from perusing the website of a vetran Winnebago winter camper:

http://www.wolfswords.com/motorhome/index.html
Stan Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 06:06 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

You may want to "monitor" the temp in your holding tank bay with a wireless thermometer. When on the road in the winter I monitor the bay where my pump is located and the holding tank bay.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote