Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2007, 04:47 PM   #1
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Today was to be our first trip in our recently acquired rig but I guess it was not to be. While enroute to get fuel the service engine light came on then was followed by the battery light which would intermittenly come on and off. In the numerous times that we had run the rig in the driveway, the engine light had never come. We did take one short trip (50Miles) about 3 wks ago but no problems. After checking any loose connections I could think of we ended up taking it to an authorized workhorse dealer who is checking it out. Haven't a clue as to what might be wrong. I know this might be a long shot but have any of u with similiar rigs had the same situation?

..............UPDATE...............
Just received a call from the WH tech and it appears the service engine light was caused by a faulty O2 sensor. He said it would be ok to drive until a replacement came from WH and would be under warranty(pollution stuff).. Still looking at the battery light coming on intermittently as they couldn't get it to do it..
Old 03-09-2007, 04:47 PM   #2
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Today was to be our first trip in our recently acquired rig but I guess it was not to be. While enroute to get fuel the service engine light came on then was followed by the battery light which would intermittenly come on and off. In the numerous times that we had run the rig in the driveway, the engine light had never come. We did take one short trip (50Miles) about 3 wks ago but no problems. After checking any loose connections I could think of we ended up taking it to an authorized workhorse dealer who is checking it out. Haven't a clue as to what might be wrong. I know this might be a long shot but have any of u with similiar rigs had the same situation?

..............UPDATE...............
Just received a call from the WH tech and it appears the service engine light was caused by a faulty O2 sensor. He said it would be ok to drive until a replacement came from WH and would be under warranty(pollution stuff).. Still looking at the battery light coming on intermittently as they couldn't get it to do it..
Old 03-10-2007, 06:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Not sure you have a solar panel on roof for your chassis battery and the battery light is connected to to panel. Traveling under trees and bridges will cause light to flicker.
If its on your IP panel could be the altenator isn't turning fast enough to charge battery because engine is in the safe mod at half speed.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 02:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

You O2 problem is possibly related to your Banks install. Do you have the optional Banks OttoMind Programmer and if so have you use it to try and improve the factory 8.1 program???

I'm curious. Why did you feel you needed the Banks Stinger on a 33' 8.1 equipped coach??

Did you replace the factory dual exhaust system with the Bank single pipe system???

Are you using an oil saturated air filter???

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:37 AM   #5
JC2
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
You O2 problem is possibly related to your Banks install. Do you have the optional Banks OttoMind Programmer and if so have you use it to try and improve the factory 8.1 program???

I'm curious. Why did you feel you needed the Banks Stinger on a 33' 8.1 equipped coach??

Did you replace the factory dual exhaust system with the Bank single pipe system???

-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The Banks system was installed by the original owner.
The exhaust system appears to be single.
Don't know about the air filter, will ahve to check.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:18 PM   #6
JC2
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:

-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

TomN
I'm not to familiar with the Banks system but was wondering if u have info on the Banks system causing any problems with the O2 sensor(s)?
Old 03-12-2007, 05:11 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JC2:

TomN
I'm not to familiar with the Banks system but was wondering if u have info on the Banks system causing any problems with the O2 sensor(s)? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The O2 sensor can become contaminated with oil from the oil saturated air filter.

I can't understand why anyone would put a $2000 - $3000 Banks system on the 8.1.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:40 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JC2:

TomN
I'm not to familiar with the Banks system but was wondering if u have info on the Banks system causing any problems with the O2 sensor(s)? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The O2 sensor can become contaminated with oil from the oil saturated air filter.

I can't understand why anyone would put a $2000 - $3000 Banks system on the 8.1. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've heard of Mass Air Flow Sensors being coated with the oil from the filters, but the '02 sensors?
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:09 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:

TomN

Whatever the sensor is that is located in the intake. Where is the O2 sensor located??

I can't understand why anyone would put a $2000 - $3000 Banks system on the 8.1. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've heard of Mass Air Flow Sensors being coated with the oil from the filters, but the '02 sensors? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 03-12-2007, 06:19 AM   #10
JC2
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:

TomN

Whatever the sensor is that is located in the intake. Where is the O2 sensor located??

I've heard of Mass Air Flow Sensors being coated with the oil from the filters, but the '02 sensors? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If I had been the original owner I'm not sure if I would have put out the money for the Banks system as the 8.1 seems to have a lot power as is. The one thing I might have/or will consider is the UltraPower program offered by Brazell's which I think is somewhat cheaper and supposedly offers impressive output over the stock engines output.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:00 PM   #11
JC2
Winnie-Wise

The authorized WH dealer says the O2 sensor is bad and will replace under warranty. The battery light coming on and off with the voltage read jumping around was supposedly caused by a faulty alternator which is also being replaced under warranty. Jeeze, not bad for only 10900 miles. Should get the rig back the latter part of this week or first of next week then I'll concentrate on the whining noise from the doghouse area to see if something in the driveline area is going bad or if it's just the nature of the beast........
Old 04-03-2007, 03:50 AM   #12
JC2
Winnie-Wise

After the dealer replaced the alternator and O2 sensor a couple of weeks ago, we took off on a 3 day weekend to the lake on our delayed maiden voyage. The rig ran out good averaging 8-8.5mpg considering a strong wind and more than enough hills. (2) new issues came up that need to be addressed:
1. The WH, (Atwd 6gal DSI gas/electric) generally worked ok except for 3-4 instances when the the pilot out light would come on. After turning the swithch off/on, it would reignite and run ok for quite awhile.
2: The Norcold fridge cools very well on LP with a setting of 4-6 but on AC seems to let the fridge temp hover around 43-46 degrees.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:07 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

For everyone's info, the O2 senser is in the exhaust system.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:22 AM   #14
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wizard:
For everyone's info, the O2 senser is in the exhaust system. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>... AND there are 2 of them one on the left and the other on the right side. They are threaded into the exhaust pipe just downstream from the exhaust manifold.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote