Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2008, 06:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We ordered a 2009 Suncruiser 35L at the RV Show last week. We're really excited. We've had enough time to digest it and come up with a few questions and would like your help and/or comments.

DH drove an '08 Sunrise with Ford chassis. There wasn't enough room for him to drive comfortably with the LR slide in. Our 2003 Brave has a WH chassis and it's comfortable for him. The Itasca rep. at the show said a WH chassis will have more room for bigger drivers. DH didn't drive an '08 or '09 WH to make sure but he did sit in a display (without the slide in) and he agreed it seemed larger. Can anyone confirm that WH has more room for bigger (6'4") drivers?

Can the '09 batwing antenna be used with the new digital television signals without a converter box? Is the coach wired with RG6 coax? We ordered it without any satellite facilities. We plan to have a Motosat dish installed later.

I think I've read on this site that the factory is only running one shift now. Is it taking longer to deliver an ordered coach? The salesman said 8-12 weeks and I think it used to be 6-8 weeks. He said he'll be able to give us a build date in about 4 weeks.

We ordered an exterior color, Latte, that we haven't seen yet There was no '09 Suncruiser in that color to look at. Has anyone seen one? Tell us it's beautiful! Thanks so much. I'll try to post a picture of it when we get it. Oldcarfun
Old 10-20-2008, 06:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We ordered a 2009 Suncruiser 35L at the RV Show last week. We're really excited. We've had enough time to digest it and come up with a few questions and would like your help and/or comments.

DH drove an '08 Sunrise with Ford chassis. There wasn't enough room for him to drive comfortably with the LR slide in. Our 2003 Brave has a WH chassis and it's comfortable for him. The Itasca rep. at the show said a WH chassis will have more room for bigger drivers. DH didn't drive an '08 or '09 WH to make sure but he did sit in a display (without the slide in) and he agreed it seemed larger. Can anyone confirm that WH has more room for bigger (6'4") drivers?

Can the '09 batwing antenna be used with the new digital television signals without a converter box? Is the coach wired with RG6 coax? We ordered it without any satellite facilities. We plan to have a Motosat dish installed later.

I think I've read on this site that the factory is only running one shift now. Is it taking longer to deliver an ordered coach? The salesman said 8-12 weeks and I think it used to be 6-8 weeks. He said he'll be able to give us a build date in about 4 weeks.

We ordered an exterior color, Latte, that we haven't seen yet There was no '09 Suncruiser in that color to look at. Has anyone seen one? Tell us it's beautiful! Thanks so much. I'll try to post a picture of it when we get it. Oldcarfun
Old 10-20-2008, 07:57 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

We ordered our 2004 this time of year, October 17th if I recall correctly. At the time the '04 Ford chassis was just coming online. Ours would have been built on an '03 chassis if I hadn't specifically requested the '04 model (which had a few upgrades/changes).

I don't know if there are any changes on the '09 WH chassis, but even if there aren't you might be able to request it be built on one.

And we picked ours up from the dealer Christmas Eve eve (to name an unnamed day). I'd have to look at a calendar to know exactly, but that was 9 or 10 weeks, and they were building like crazy back then. You'd think there wouldn't be much a backlog of new orders now. If you're thinking of using it at Christmas (we were - and did) I'd make sure your salesman knows that, make sure he doesn't sit on anything, even for a day.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Congratulations on the purchase

I can help you out with a couple of the questions.

The batwing TV antenna will be fine for use with digital TV, but unless the TV is digital-ready, you will need the converter box. Hopefully your rig will have a digital-ready TV installed. Yes, you should be wired with RG-6 or equivalent coax.

We just heard from Doug F (WIT general manager) at the Texas state WIT rally last weekend that the factory is now only working every other week and producing about 40-50% of their usual run. Your guess is as good as mine what your delivery date would be. Your salesman might know in as little as two weeks what your serial number will be and the production date.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:49 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

We are also interested in your experience with your purchase of the Suncruiser. We liked the 2009 Suncruiser displayed at the Visitor Center during the GNA this year. We are thinking of a Suncruiser 35L next spring.
Would you be willing to let us know how much off of the msrp you got? I'm sure the buyers during these troubling times would like to know what kind of deals are being made.
Be sure to keep us updated on your 09 Suncruiser. Should be lots of good times ahead.

Jerry J
2006 Winnebago Outlook 25F
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:51 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the good information and ideas. We hadn't thought about an '08 chassis vs an '09 chassis. What do you think the differences would be? Our first thought was an '09 chassis would probably have newer tires. When we were at the factory we remember seeing all the chassis' sitting in the field waiting to be built.

Jerry, we ordered our coach at the LA RV show. They "gave us" the show special even though we ordered our coach rather than buying the one on display. We paid 72% of msrp. Incidentally, we ordered the coach on Wednesday and this dealer, Mike Thompson RV, said they had sold 108 units by Wednesday. We also had a trade-in.

We're glad to help in any way we can. It's so helpful to have this forum.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:13 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Congrats on your new coach. We love our 07 that we bought new in March of this year. I for one was very impressed with it's handling and the powertrain.

Haven't had any problems to speak of - just enjoy. My son is 6' 6" and he likes the space - plenty of room for him to drive when they use it.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:34 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Gonna have an open house for all us locals?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:33 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We ordered a 2008 Winnebago 35A the first week of July 2007 and it took over 4 months to get. However, we ordered a W24 chassis which was an option that may have taken longer. Our rig came with digital TV's and we get a great picture with the batwing antenna. Congratulations on your new motorhome.

2007 Honda CRV
comp-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:18 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Jeff, Sure!
Old 10-20-2008, 08:59 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oldcarfun:
We paid 72% of msrp. ........ We also had a trade-in.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome to the forum. Glad some people are helping our economy!

Not to be nitpicky, but I'm not sure how a person could figure what kind of discount they received off the MSRP when there is a trade-in involved.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:15 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
Not to be nitpicky, but I'm not sure how a person could figure what kind of discount they received off the MSRP when there is a trade-in involved. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some people actually have a dealer that will talk to them - not treat them like "Honest Bob's Tote Yor Note Used Cars". I know what both of my motorhomes invoiced for. Worst case scenario, cut the deal, then talk trade-in.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:24 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by porscheracer:
...I know what both of my motorhomes invoiced for. Worst case scenario, cut the deal, then talk trade-in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Right-on Norm! Always make your deal on the new unit first, then work the deal of the trade-in. Things can get really fuzzy when the salesperson works up both at once.

Nowadays, I think 25-28% off manufacturer's list price should be expected as the normal deal on a currently new/ordered coach, and much more off of a 'lot queen.'

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:36 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

When I bought my new Meridian in 2004, the first thing I asked was what they were going to give for my trade-in. Then I started working on what they were going to sell me the new one for, which is what I'd deduct the trade-in from. No problem. Just don't let the salesman keep talking trade difference. From that you'd never know what you were getting for yours or what you were paying for the new one. Course, some people are on intereted in the difference.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:52 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

I have always determined a fair price for my tradein and for the purchase of the new one. Subtracting the tradein from the purchase price gives me the amount that I feel is a fair purchase price. That is the number that I care about. The dealer either gives me that price or I walk. I feel that it is a lot simpler than going through two negotiations. It just takes a little more research on the front end.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:05 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

As well as a consideration on price, I would think one has to think of distance one has to go for service and the quality of the service from a particular dealer too. I woould pay a bit more on bottom line if I knew the dealer would take care of me after the sale.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:14 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

We did our research before the deal at the RV Show. We personally looked at every '08 35L in Southern California. We also looked online at every one we could find. In addition we looked at a new '07. We researched the value of our current coach by looking at online classified ads and at NADA pricing. There were many things to consider in addition to price that I won't bore you with. The bottom line is that we needed to order the coach we want because Winnie is only offering the model we want in Suncruiser in '09 and dealers aren't carrying as much inventory these days. The chances of finding the model we want with the options we want (and we're not hard to please) in colors we could tolerate were slim. We didn't get a "steal of a deal" but it was reasonable for both the new coach and our trade-in. We were informed buyers thanks to this forum and others. Thanks for all the advice! By the way Tom, our son is 6'6" also. He turned 40 last month Don't know where the time has gone.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:20 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oldcarfun:
We did our research before the deal at the RV Show. We personally looked at every '08 35L in Southern California. We also looked online at every one we could find. In addition we looked at a new '07. We researched the value of our current coach by looking at online classified ads and at NADA pricing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't know about you'all, but I'm exhausted just thinking about looking at all those rigs..

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote