Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-09-2021, 12:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Question One Night @ 25 = 3/4 Propane?!?!

Expletives withheld. 15-16 G propane for one night in the mid-20s? Is that normal?

Filled tank Friday, turned gas heat on 60F yesterday around 3pm. Lunchtime today tank less than 1/4 full. The 5er we had previously would go several days on a 20G tank.
DCMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I assume you are just reading the gauge, rather than filling again and noting how much it took to fill. Propane tank gauges are horribly inaccurate.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 01:11 PM   #3
2017 Vista 29ve

Our propane gauge seems to buck that trend, as it has been very accurate (we check before and after fills) But in cold weather I have used most of the tank in a weekend. We actually bought a 750 Watt electric (oil) heater that we now use when plugged in. Saves on the propane. Is the fridge on Electric, and how much cooking on gas is happening.
corvetteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 01:40 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

1 gallon of propane is 91,500 BTU and your furnace is probably 40,000 BTU so one gallon should last about 2.3 hours if your furnace never shuts off and you aren't using propane for anything else. You probably have an 18 gallon tank that can only be filled to 80% so your useable tank capacity is about 14 gallons. If your gauge read a little less than 1/4 full then you used about 10 gallons of propane overnight. If your furnace ran non-stop that would be about right but I assume it cycled off and on some. So that does seem like a lot of propane to use.

A gas water heater also uses a lot of propane so was that running a lot too?
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 07:15 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

it's all about the math and consumption , watch the small consumers of propane , and as noted above use electric when plugged in . if you think it's leaks use your nose as you can smell it,also you can ck for leaks with a simple soapy spray or dab solution .
gabbyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 04:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Why would there be any expletives? Rv’ing is not free. Check for leaks and weigh your tanks before and after use and determine what your actual use is. Life is good. Enjoy it.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 04:56 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

My gauge is way off. I fill a glass with hot water pour it down the side of the tank and then starting from the top run you're hand down the tank and when it feels cold that is the level of propane.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 06:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

On my 21view, I am able to see the gauge that is on the tank, I saw that winnebago said that this gauge is indeed accurate vs the electronic one inside the coach.
misteracng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 08:20 PM   #9
WinnieAdven38

No - that amount sounds very abnormal.

I know that running the furnace a lot for heat can use lots of propane - but what you described is not normal. I suspect that you have a leak in either your lines at around some fittings.
I would start by checking all around the fittings at the tank, including around the pressure reducer. Use very soapy water smeared all over the fittings - look for bubbles.

On our rig I once found that the fittings from the reducer into the main valve had loosened. Now I regularly check that to ensure there are no leaks there.
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:40 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

2017 Forza 34t (36' long): We just went through two nights with temps around 12 degrees, and on our pretty accurate gauge (right at the tank - not at the inside control panel) we went through about 3/8 of our 19 gallon (80% fill of a 24 gallon tank), which is about 7 gallons. You either have an inaccurate gauge, or a leak somewhere.
Digital_Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:25 AM   #11
JBP
Winnie-Wise

2018 LX 30T Vista I have a small electric heater in the bath and a large one in the main living area. I go to electric when ever pluged in and use the main heater as back up.
In mid 20s the propane last for about 2 to three days with just furace running.
18 gallon tank filled to 80% or about 14 gallons.
Last coach had electric fire place. I used it extensively.
About 3 years ago we came from South Texas to Kansas City in temp that ran single degits a lot of the way. Decided never to do that again.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:04 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

It did not take me long, after running the furnace in my coach a few times during cold weather, to learn that it goes through gas like grain through a goose. Although I have not done any precision gas consumption measurements, and recognizing that my propane tank gauge is neither very accurate nor linear, I can travel for weeks on a tank of propane if I DO NOT run my furnace. Otherwise I must have frequent propane tank fill-ups.

We usually camp where we can get 50-amp hookups, which enables us to use two electric heaters to keep our 35' coach pleasantly warm. We keep our furnace turned off but get enough BTUs from the heaters to stay cozy even in freezing weather.
lewisedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:04 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

One thing I suggest people do...is always to run every appliance you own, for the purpose of 'exercising' the appliance. What do I mean by that? If you never run your onboard propane furnace, the bearings in the fan can seize, pit, or simply rust out. sensors need also to be supplied an electrical current to self-initialize, by that current, etc.

For myself on our 2018 1706FB, I will run our furnace (with thermostat set to 68F) for one hour, which in our trailer, equates to two cycles of about 5-7 minutes each. Then, turn it off for the remainder of that week and use a small form factor 5,000 BTU ceramic heater. So, for every week of cold(er) (needing interior heat to bring the ambient temperature of the cabin to 68F) weather, I try to run the furnace for 10 to 15 minutes of fan and heat production. It is also a good way to see if anything might be wrong, and get it attended to. The same applies to your car air conditioner. During the summer on even temperate days, you need to run the air-conditioner to move the oil-infused refrigerant through the system and compressor. If you do that...you will avoid a compressor seizure. Same for your RV/TT air-condoners. The compressor also needs to be 'exercised' to keep the system in top shape.

A tip.
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane