Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Our Dometic fridge died a month ago at 11 years old - sulfur powder around the flue indicated a dead cooling unit.

Replaced with a new Dometic, this one with an adjustable thermostat! It was a simple remove and install task - less than 2 hours labor, including a propane pressure-drop test.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:37 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

These refrigerators can catch fire on electric or gas,makes no difference. Domectic is now owned by Norcold from what I have heard so same thing. They are saying the newer units were made with thinner walled tubing, not sure if that is true but makes sense as they are making most things cheaper these days, and that is why they are failing. I installed an automatic fire extingisher behind my frig even though mine is not one of the recalled units just for safety.
rlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #23

HAY;HAY;HAY >. why all the refrigerator Responces . You really should Not be spreading things like that around.... Unless you KONW for certian that is/was the cause of the mishap;;; There is NO need to get all exited over something we Know nothing of for certain.. Withover a Million units out there that are working as they should. Please lets not make others worry.. . OK there have been some Fires (very few) caused from loose connections on the frig.. ____-__--_ Happens. Life is good. Some think it's better if they keep adjating it...
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlyons View Post
These refrigerators can catch fire on electric or gas,makes no difference. Domectic is now owned by Norcold from what I have heard so same thing. They are saying the newer units were made with thinner walled tubing, not sure if that is true but makes sense as they are making most things cheaper these days, and that is why they are failing. I installed an automatic fire extingisher behind my frig even though mine is not one of the recalled units just for safety.
Dometic Corp is a division under Dometic Group, with headquarters in Sweden. Norcold is a division of Thetford Corp. Two competing companies.

We had a recent discussion about Norcold fires in this thread:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/any-n...ed-156578.html