Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2021, 06:15 PM   #1
LizzyB

Send a message via Skype™ to benhamliz
Onan Marquis 6500 LP Generator

I am a total newbie to Motorhomes and RVing. I am the 3rd owner of my 35 ft Winnebago 35RQ model with a Cummings pusher engine that has 67000 mls.
The generator is not working and I am wondering if it is too old. A new solenoid has been installed but did not help.I believe it is powered by the propane tank.There are multiple electric outlets in the coach which must mean that the power comes form the generator or shore power. Am I correct in assuming this.
I am trying to find (in S. Florida) where I can get the generator serviced and running.
Hope this thread is not posing too silly questions
I am trying to learn everything from the manuals.
I am so happy to be connected to this community of wise folks and appreciate all the advice that is given
benhamliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:57 PM   #2
Veteran RV Owner

Find an RV dealer in your local area that services Onan generators. The other option is to call a "mobile RV service".
armullis59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

The genset is not too old but there is likely to be some smaller parts that are not working right. This is a part of the RV that has not changed much in lots of years, so some basic looking may help. When you say the solenoid was changed, it is important to know which solenoid as there are several that may be involved and only one that really matters to the generator!
It is important to know that the power is getting from the coach batteries to the starter on the gen.
This is a drawing of how the power is likely to get there, although this drwing is from a later model, things have not changed and I think it will be correct on the big points, so taking a look for the 12 volts getting to the correct big cable on the solenoid at the generator itself is important and if not, that is not a hard item to find and fix.

If you want to do some checking , this is what you might expect to find. Click this drawing for better view.

When the RV engine is running or the boost or aux switch on the dash is pushed, there is a wire (marked in blue) which makes the modes solenoid connect the start and coach batteries together and this combines the power of both batteries to make starting the generator easier!
This power then continues on donw the red line to the coach battery disconnect switch, which you need to have ON so that power is passed on through to the big red cable on the right side that goes to the starter solenoid on the generator!
The wiring at right is the control wiring to tell the generator to start but there is likely to be a switch right on the gen. to hold to make it crank! So if you hold the switch at the gen and it doesn't turn and try to start, make sure there is 12volts on the one big red cable on the generator while the RV engine is running! If not, there is likely to be dirty,corroded cables somewhere along the line!

Good luck to you , sir as this is part of having an RV! The only thing that workks all the time on an RV is the owner???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	93 vectra copy.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	181226  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 02:08 PM   #4
LizzyB

Hi Richard, Thank you so much for this detailed check and solution.
I will endeavor to study and see if I can do it.
Many Thanks and YES the MH will now be a full time work job!
Old 11-04-2021, 02:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I think you may find a simple switch on the generator itself to start cranking it, so if you start the RV engine to make the best situation, you should be able to see the power on the big red battery cable coming down to the generator and using the switch takes lots of doubt about the wiring to the inside out of the question.
If it cranks but it is slow to start, that may be normal for one that hasn't been used for a while so give it time, but if it cranks and still doesn't start that is when i look for help from folks who do it much more.

Note:
One sure way to know the battery cutoff switch is right is when the inside lights, vent fans and wwater pump work, so if they are okay, say the generator should be okay?
Old 11-10-2021, 09:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Was curious

When u say it doesn't run, does it turn over? Mine also uses propane, and there are two separate valves on my tank, one for vapor that fuels stove, water heater and fridge, the other valve is liquid valve that goes thru the line to the generator where I assume it turns to vapor in order to fuel the gen. Make sure the liquid valve is all the way on. Also, " doesn't work".... As in no power to coach outlets? 110 recepticals? When not plugged into shore power, usually need to plug into generator, mine can't be plugged into both at same time. I have to physically plug it in.. was just a thought... It also requires holding the start switch for about 5 seconds to fully start up b4 releasing start switch. Same with shut off.
motorpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 05:56 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

RV Connection
220 SE 95th St, Ocala, FL 34480

(352) 873-4477

Rich at RV Connection rebuilt our Onan Marquis 5000 in our 2000 Adventurer. Works perfectly now. Replacemfnt cost was around $5000, rebuilt just under $900 Great people to deal with. I live in Alabama and spent close to a $1000 to have have it repaired near me. Wasn't repaired and and charged for labor and shop time. Ocala was worth the drive
kag56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 11:34 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by benhamliz View Post
I am a total newbie to Motorhomes and RVing. I am the 3rd owner of my 35 ft Winnebago 35RQ model with a Cummings pusher engine that has 67000 mls.
The generator is not working and I am wondering if it is too old. A new solenoid has been installed but did not help.I believe it is powered by the propane tank.There are multiple electric outlets in the coach which must mean that the power comes form the generator or shore power. Am I correct in assuming this.
I am trying to find (in S. Florida) where I can get the generator serviced and running.
Hope this thread is not posing too silly questions
I am trying to learn everything from the manuals.
I am so happy to be connected to this community of wise folks and appreciate all the advice that is given
"not working"?? Won't run or no power from it??
If it cranks but won't start try the following:
1// Make certain your propane tank is on and has fuel.
2// If you are able, look up under the generator, following the fuel line. You will find a large pancake regulator tucked up in there someplace. On the bottom of the regulator is a little button. This is a oil drain. Push is and let the oil drain out of the regulator.
All propane has a bit of oil in it. Over time it collects in the bottom of your LP tank. It will also collect in the regulator, possibly because of the rate the fuel flows through it.

If draining the oil doesn't work it could be the regulator is bad or some ignition problem. Any truck service center should be able to work on it.
Old 11-11-2021, 08:46 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I owned an Onan 6500 propane years ago. One thing I learned is that those Onans are designed to run without a major overhaul for 10,000 hours. Now, of course, that 10K was the design goal, but it's not unusual for a well maintained generator to have 8K hours on it. I've read many reviews by contractors who got into RV'ing that say it's a tough little gen and should last as long as you own your RV.

That said, IF you have a propane generator, they tend to have a very clean carb. I'd check that it is getting fuel though.

If your's doesn't run, or won't start and run, it could be the control board. Those are easy to replace.

The entire gen is replaceable of course and it's your decision but repair would be a good option with an Onan considering the price of their RV line of gens.

First thing I'd do would be to read and follow the excellent troubleshooting guides 'Flight Systems' has. Then, calling around for a Mobile RV Tech with generator experience would be a good move if you can't fix it yourself.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 07:23 PM   #10
LizzyB

Red face

Jim, thank you so much for these detailed steps. My winnebago is just back from the mechanic with engine repair. I will now try to get the generator and propane tank fixed. I have a leak in the propane tank or hoses.This I believe is the first issue in order to get to the generator. working. However, I am finding much difficulty in getting service on this.
Seems there are not many companies doing propane repair /service in south Florida
Old 11-22-2021, 07:27 PM   #11
LizzyB

Thank you so much Jerichorick...I believe it os a good generator. My propane tank which fuels it is leaking (a hose or connection I think) because the tank shows 1/4 but opening the valve there is a gushing noise. I have just had an oil pressure issue fixed o the engine so will now proceed to find a repair/service center for both . This I must add seems to be the most difficult part.
Old 11-22-2021, 07:30 PM   #12
LizzyB

Many Thanks...my propane tank also has vapor and liquid. It is very old and leaking(sounds to me like a hose or fitting) because the tank is still 1/4 full. Trying now to get serve repair for that first.
Old 11-22-2021, 08:05 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Just remembered something about my Onan 7500 diesel powered gen. When I bought this RV in '16, the gen fired an ran without prompting. 2 years later, I was at a shop and asked them to do the regular maintenance for the gen and ya know what? A mouse had crawled up inside the air filter and built a nest in there! They showed it to me.

I was very lucky that detritus from the nest didn't dust the engine. It's been working fine since then after they cleaned it out, 3 years now. Got a full service at the time, wasn't all that expensive.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 07:13 PM   #14
LizzyB

Question Propane certification and Generator service issues

I am a very new MH owner (only 2months)

After many upgrades I am left with 2 very imp items.

I have exhausted my research trying to find a propane company to certify , service and fill my propane tank on the 1996 Vectra.Cummings Diesel Engine.(which is permanently installed)

I have less than 1/4 tank propane .It is closed but when I open it there is a wooshing noise. So there is a leak.

I have contacted numerous local companies including the big RV ones within a 100 mile radius and no one can service..
Somehow I discovered that Cummings owns Onan so I booked a service with Cummings 50 miles from me and they sort of said they might check the propane tank.
In the meantime I found Winnebago parts and ordered a new regulator, fill tank adapter and hose according to the manual.Cummings said OK to bring the parts.
Sorry for this long litney but here is my question:
Can Cummings install the new parts on the propane tank?
The appointment is to service my generator which is not working(I believe due to propane issues) I know they can do this with the an external propane tank.

BUT I am at a loss to know as to where to go to check my own propane tank if Cummings cannot do it.
Also is this ASME 30 gal tank too old ? How can I possibly remove it and install a new one if it is permanently attached to the chassis and where can this be done?
Thanks so much for any advice ..
Old 01-06-2022, 07:35 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Maybe this is one of those cases where we make it sound difficult when we call rahter than simply showing up at a propane fill location and ask them to look it over and fill it if it looks okay!
Without mention of the generator, have you had anybody say they will not fill the tank and if they did, what reason did they give?

If you have trouble getting the generator to start, how does it act? Does it turn over and act like it is trying to start? Or does it just not do anything? The difference is that if it tries, perhaps the engine needs repair but if it doesn't even turn over, then the wiring to the engine is the more lilely fault.

But it is very much like a car engine, if it doesn't start, make sure it has fuel and that can mean ignore the gas gauge as it can be wrong.
I would do this in this order:
First find a place to fill the propane tank! Without being sure there is fuel, trying to start is pretty much a waste.
Once you have a full fuel tank, try to start the generator and watch if it turns over or not. If it doesn't turn over, fix the wiring or starting power first before going into more checks.
Once you have fuel and the engine turns over, give it some time if it has not been used in a while as it may take some time to get all the air out of the fuel line, etc.
But if you have fuel and it turns over and still does not start, then I would look to get it checked and adjusted.

Step one will tell you if it is too old or too damaged as the guy filling it is trained to look for hazardous tanks before he fills them. If they say no, ask what the problem is and that will guide you on what to do next.

But I suggest just lookingfor places which sell propane and not mention the generator as that is not what they do and will not want to get involved in much more than their normal business of filling tanks!
I see several in your area but I might not go to U-haul as they are not as well trained as the real propane dealers. If a real propane dealer sees a problem they often know who fixes those problems!
Old 01-07-2022, 09:37 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by benhamliz View Post
I am a very new MH owner (only 2months)

After many upgrades I am left with 2 very imp items.

I have exhausted my research trying to find a propane company to certify , service and fill my propane tank on the 1996 Vectra.Cummings Diesel Engine.(which is permanently installed)

I have less than 1/4 tank propane .It is closed but when I open it there is a wooshing noise. So there is a leak.

I have contacted numerous local companies including the big RV ones within a 100 mile radius and no one can service..
Somehow I discovered that Cummings owns Onan so I booked a service with Cummings 50 miles from me and they sort of said they might check the propane tank.
In the meantime I found Winnebago parts and ordered a new regulator, fill tank adapter and hose according to the manual.Cummings said OK to bring the parts.
Sorry for this long litney but here is my question:
Can Cummings install the new parts on the propane tank?
The appointment is to service my generator which is not working(I believe due to propane issues) I know they can do this with the an external propane tank.

BUT I am at a loss to know as to where to go to check my own propane tank if Cummings cannot do it.
Also is this ASME 30 gal tank too old ? How can I possibly remove it and install a new one if it is permanently attached to the chassis and where can this be done?
Thanks so much for any advice ..
wooshing??? From the tank or line leading away from it? Regulator problem???
Old 01-07-2022, 05:04 PM   #17
LizzyB

Thanks so much Morich...I did it ! Drove there and they filled the tank no questions BUT they did not inspect.Just worried that it is unsafe.

Unfortunately MH had to go directly back to Mechanic ...so cant check to see if there is a leak now.
I have another issue which surfaced again...a drain on the batteries (new) so had a power failure and then transmission would not engage...Got it going and went to Mechanic.It is now there for the weekend. As u said before this is a full time issue but I enjoy it!
Old 01-07-2022, 05:08 PM   #18
LizzyB

Actually I did not check (I am fearful) but went to get the tank filled. They did it but did not check.
Still not sure if there is any leaks .Will need to deal with that again after MH is back from mechanic.I will order some propane leakage testing fluid ...Looks liek i need to learn to do this.

Tags
generator, onan