Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2007, 07:00 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

I've got 2 years on my unit & am very happy with it. Well worth the effort to get it working right.

I use a 120VAC to 12VDC wart to sense shore power. During my initial install, using a wall outlet, I ran in to 2 problems.

-When shore sense wired plus to plus & minus to minus, gen would short cycle (start then stop).

-When shore sense wired plus to minus & minus to plus, (as suggested by Onan rep), gen would start but not stop.

(Or maybe the other way around, hard to remember that far back)

I believe it would not stop because my coach is wired so that the transfer switch gives priority to gen power. Absent the EC-30, my coach remains on gen power whether shore power is connected or not.

In talking to the Onan factory rep, he said that the EC-30 actually remembers the last state of power from plug. Going from on to off then off to on. I believe that shore sense wired to a coach outlet would work if the transfer switch gave priority to shore power. Then the EC-30 would react to the momentary switch of power presence. (Just my thought)

I have a hardwired surge guard, wired between coach & transfer switch to protect against power problems from both shore & gen. My wart is wired to the shore power input. The only problem I have had with install was when we were at Fort Wilderness in FL. I had the EC-30 on Auto, we lost power in the coach & gen did not start. Turned out the surge guard was tripping off due to hi AC shore power. The EC-30 didn't start because we still had shore power.