Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-05-2022, 07:35 AM   #1
2012 Itasca Suncruiser 37

Onan 5500 and 2 a/c's

Hey folks,

I have a 2012 Itasca Suncruiser 37F with 2 rooftop 13.5 Coleman Mach A/C's. We are in the midwest with temps averaging 100 daily and there is much talk of rolling blackouts possible. My question is can my onan 5500 power both of my a/c's ? I have tried once before and it fried my transfer switch. Now im thinking it was just time for the transfer switch and had nothing to do with trying to run both a/c's. I would appreciate the comments from those of you with more electrical knowledge.
Thanks,
Dave
Armydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:38 AM   #2
aa1ssradio

It should run them with no problem.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:54 AM   #3
Site Team

Yes, it should do fine. Be aware though that while it has enough power to operate both A/Cs it can’t power other large loads at the same time. By large loads I mean the microwave and the water heater on electric.

I assume your Suncruiser has a load shedding PCS system built in, just like my Adventurer. It will manage the load for you. If both A/Cs are running and you use the microwave the PCS will turn off the compressor in one A/C, usually the bedroom unit. After the microwave is done there may be a delay but the PCS will turn the bedroom A/C’s compressor back on.

It’s a pretty smart system.
Old 07-05-2022, 08:48 AM   #4
2012 Itasca Suncruiser 37

Thanks

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it.

Dave
Armydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:28 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

A point that is not always obvious, until we get caught?

Your system is very good for running both AC but it also has a problem that is somewhat frequent , so we may need to do some small routines to help things last better.
One of those things is the place where the various wires attach to the transfer switch.

As we use power, the wires can get a bit warm and cool off when it gets cold, so they expand and shrink just a tiny bit so that they work on making the attachment screws or clamps get loose over time.
Combine that with bouncing them up the road for years and years and you can see they can get loose. A loose electrical connection can begin to arc just a tiny bit, causing even more wear and more likely to come loose.

At some point that loose corroded, burned, connection begins to act like an arc welder and burns something big time!

One good way to make that transfer switch last longer is to check those wires and make sure they are tight! Not a hard job as it only takes a few minutes to get the cover off and sometimes only a big screwdriver to tighten the attachments.

This is a snip of the transfer switch on your specific RV but most are much the same.
You find two big cables coming in from the cord and generator and one going out to the breaker panel/fuse box. Each have a set of wires and attachments to check as well as a ground wire for the box.

Unplug the power cord and stop the generator!!!

Snug them down once in a while and it can save a bunch of time and money on replacing the switch!
Click this snip to get a better view!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012 transfer.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	183451  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 11:02 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post

Unplug the power cord and stop the generator!!!

Snug them down once in a while and it can save a bunch of time and money on replacing the switch!
Click this snip to get a better view!
One of these days I am gonna publish a how to do book with all of your pictures. When I do; I will be sure to sell you one for 50% off. As a bonus and for your added enjoyment; I will even let you sign it

When I do what you describe,

1. I turn off the 65 amp breaker in the Main Panel
2. Turn off the 50 amp breaker in the Sub Panel
3. Disconnect power cord from Sub Panel
4. Disconnect power cord from ATS Cord
5. Verify generator is off
6. Verify generator's AGS is not set for Auto modes
7. Go get my DW to watch
8. I check the voltage with voltmeter to ensure 0 VAC
9. Then I use my special heavy duty insulated screwdriver and test for shock
10. If I am still alive; then I will proceed to tighten torgue on all of the screws.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 11:14 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
When I do what you describe,

1. I turn off the 65 amp breaker in the Main Panel
2. Turn off the 50 amp breaker in the Sub Panel
3. Disconnect power cord from Sub Panel
4. Disconnect power cord from ATS Cord
5. Verify generator is off
6. Verify generator's AGS is not set for Auto modes
7. Go get my DW to watch
8. I check the voltage with voltmeter to ensure 0 VAC
9. Then I use my special heavy duty insulated screwdriver and test for shock
10. If I am still alive; then I will proceed to tighten torgue on all of the screws.
Gee, make it difficult JKoldman - I unpluged from shore power, unscrewed 4-screws on the ATS cover and checked all the screws and contacts. After nearly 5-years of use there was nothing at all loose, nor burned, nor corroded, nor any other bad thing and I put the cover back on and thought, "Humm, maybe I'll do that again 5 years from now."
Old 07-05-2022, 01:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Gee, make it difficult D Koldman - I unpluged from shore power, unscrewed 4-screws on the ATS cover and checked all the screws and contacts. After nearly 5-years of use there was nothing at all loose, nor burned, nor corroded, nor any other bad thing and I put the cover back on and thought, "Humm, maybe I'll do that again 5 years from now."
You and few others have special skill set (gift). I always say every man got to know and realize his own limitations. I tend to not assume and never leave anything to chance. But yes all of those steps are not needed. It was just to show details as to be careful.

When RV was new I had a dealer install EC-30; I got it home and fire up generator and I had heard a horrible sound and could smell smoke. The ATS had fried. The dealer replace under warranty, but I was convinced it was due errant wiring / torqueing as they had to connect wires to the ATS related to EC-30
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 01:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Snugging the screws down and checking the power is something like rolling through stop signs?
We can all do it for years and never have any problems but then one day we can get killed!

So we each get a choice of being lucky or being good. One way to be lucky is to be good at what we do!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 02:04 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Here's a pic. It takes just a couple of minutes to do this and, given the potential problems of not doing it, it's on my annual checklist.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV ATS PD52 (7).jpg
Views:	42
Size:	624.6 KB
ID:	183512  

Tags
onan