Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2021, 05:47 PM   #1
2002 Journey WPK36GD

ODB2 on Journey 2002

Winnebago Journey 2002 6 pin ODBII: does this old buss have he advanced features as usable by OBDLink LX OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner for Android and Windows or better yet OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner?

I am just starting down this path so Input desired. Silverlink seems out dated but I may be incorrect. advise me ?
CharlesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

No. This kinda indicates that it won't display a large RV chassis codes: "Works on more vehicles than any scan tool on the market including all 1996+ cars and light trucks sold in the United States (except hybrid or electric vehicles)"

An RV isn't considered a 'light truck'.

I bought the BAFX device for my car, and it has the same wording. I emailed them after I'd bought an adapter from the J1587 port to OBD II for my '02 Journey with Freightliner chassis. Yes, the OBD II lights flashed and what not but there's no readable data output by the FL computers. I contacted BAFX and they said that their equipment couldn't translate that code to their setup and had no plans to do so. I searched and found that the FL codes of that era are proprietary so it's unlikely that anything made today will read those codes.

Here's my blog report: J1587 Serial Comm

Things change of course and the gov'mt stepped in in 2007 and forced chassis manufacturers of RV chassis' to provide a readable OBD II.

And perhaps now there may be an OBD II maker who went to the trouble of dealing with FL to get their old codes. If you find such a device, please let us Journey owners know!!!

Thanks!

PS I just looked at my blog posting and there's a DIY circuit to create your own OBD II readout from a J1587. I was going to build that but got distracted far too many times until I forgot about it.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:15 PM   #3

If you're going to buy a scanner you need to make sure it's for heavy duty trucks. The reason for this is that Freightlinrer use certain uses some user-defined addresses" for their own proprietary information which do not conform to OBD2 or CanBu standards.

However for about $150 sometimes on Amazon you can buy one of these diesel big truck enabled scan tools. Which is what I did and it works fine.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
If you're going to buy a scanner you need to make sure it's for heavy duty trucks. The reason for this is that Freightlinrer use certain uses some user-defined addresses" for their own proprietary information which do not conform to OBD2 or CanBu standards.

However for about $150 sometimes on Amazon you can buy one of these diesel big truck enabled scan tools. Which is what I did and it works fine.
Any chance you have the brand, model, p/n for what you bought?

Old 05-23-2021, 08:08 PM   #5
2002 Journey WPK36GD

Is this one of those big diesel scanning tools?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14233045718...8AAOSwysRazwxK
Old 05-24-2021, 06:30 PM   #6

I bought it on Amazon, but I don't think they are selling it anymore.

Search big truck scanner or Xtool XD900 and here is a link where you can get more information:

How to use XTOOL HD900 Code Reader tablet to diagnose heavy duty? | OBD2eShop official blog
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 03:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

That tool looks interesting but it didn't show the '02 Journey on a Freightliner chassis protocol of J1587. Shows 1939 & 1708 though. Maybe some of the codes are the same.

Oh, wait, yes it does in the ad copy...sorry!

Old 05-27-2021, 07:50 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

My 2001 Brave has the "OBD 1.5" protocol. With the $5 Torque app I can read from the J1850 variable pulse width bus the coolant temperature and RPM, which already are displayed on my instrument panel. Seems to be no way to get any additional data. I am using one of the $15 Bluetooth dongles.
NormD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 03:55 PM   #9
2002 Journey WPK36GD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
That tool looks interesting but it didn't show the '02 Journey on a Freightliner chassis protocol of J1587. Shows 1939 & 1708 though. Maybe some of the codes are the same.

Oh, wait, yes it does in the ad copy...sorry!

Which too: the one imnprsd posted or the one CharlesMoore posted?

Also, I would like an opinion of the tool I posted as to whether the group thinks it would work?

AND, thanks to all the contributors, I see the names of a lot of smart guys I follow.
Old 05-31-2021, 04:12 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesMoore View Post
Which too: the one imnprsd posted or the one CharlesMoore posted?

The one imnprsd posted was the one I was talking about. I see that the one CharlesMoore posted, the Xtool, also reads that old protocol.

Also, I would like an opinion of the tool I posted as to whether the group thinks it would work?

Dunno if you're asking me as I already gave my opinion earlier, but you did quote my post. If they have a refund policy, couldn't hurt to buy, test, and let us know (I'm hoping you will).

AND, thanks to all the contributors, I see the names of a lot of smart guys I follow.
Aww, shucks, thanks!

Tags
journey