Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-02-2021, 10:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

obdii reader for a Workhorse

Could anyone recommend a recently purchased Bluetooth OBDII reader that will handle a 2005 Workhorse engine? I have a 327 reader from eBay that works fine in our cars but Torque says the reader will not connect with the engine control unit the Chevy 8.1 engine of the Workhorse.

I'm hoping someone recently purchased a Bluetooth OBDII scanner from Amazon or a dealer and fond it works on a Workhorse with a Chevy 8.1 big block engine. If this is you, could you please let me know which reader you purchased? (I thought about ScanGuage but I'd prefer to use my phone as I would only use this intermittently to check/reset codes and to monitor selected parameters via Torque.)

If you bought a plug-in OBDII for your Workhorse, could you let me know the model you got?

Thanks much!!!!
Old 09-07-2021, 02:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I bought a Launch CRP123x (~$150) and it does have specific Workhorse vehicle settings/selection (manual no VIN recognition) for 2000/1-2010 - ALL diff chassis, seemed to read all 'active' (supposedly Allison/Workhorse did not enable ALL sensors that exist?) sensors, gobs of them for both engine and transmission - even specific Hex mem values can be seen as well - if that specific low level sensor/data value needed.

This specific OBDII reader is not the only Launch model capable of reading Workhorse, but one of the nicer ones for the price- CRP123 (2021 model) is essentially the same - I think but maybe not the same screen.

It has a 5" Touch Screen, and after updating it for itself and for GM/Chevrolet vehicles seemed to show all there is to see - for both engine and trans. (supposedly will show SRS and ABS but did not check either).

It can both show constantly # values or graphs for changing sensors such as STFT/LTFT, reads O2/MAF, battery and gives dynamic values for anything that changes - limit of 4 graphs I think but can show ALL # values in a list-dynamically, you would have to scroll to see them all - ~10 shown per page.

I would call it the 1st level of Professional (doing it for $) quality and usability of OBDII readers from Launch, has record and playback, makes reports/etc, many modes, has 16gb of internal mem, connects to wifi, no mem cards needed or no need to hook up to your PC (that might would be nice though, NO USB connection just wifi) but if you know your way around a PC you could adhoc a local wifi connection to PC - likely.

Has long enuf cord to OBDII port to allow to sit on dash area for live - down the road use (record it and playback later!!) - but another foot would be better, just use tape or velcro to NOT fall off if rough road. It is a std connection cord so a longer one could be bought or even made.

Good Luck !!
SmilingSimon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
workhorse