Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Notes & Pix of carpet replacement 2004 Journey

We are having the carpet replaced in the front of our 2004 Winnebago Journey 39 W. I have retained an installer who has worked on (non slideout) motorhomes and trailers before. I have helped him with the removal of the old carpet, particularly with the carpet under the non-flat floor slide.

There are a couple of other threads on this forum that address this issue. I have some notes that might be useful to others that are attempting this project.

Here are two pictures of the floor

and here are three pictures of the tile glide (in case anyone wants to fabricate one themselves ... it could probably be made from 1/2 in stock instead of 3/4)

skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Thanks! Look'n good. I've been thinking about using a Berber carpet as a replacement. I'd seen it used in some new coaches on Extreme RV. Just wondering, has anyone used it and if so, was it worth it?
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

a couple of question if i can. Is your slide a flat floor slide? Do you have the storemore storage on that slide also? Do you have photos of when the slide was tilted? I have 39k and want to do the same thing. I have the new carpeted glide i bought from Winnebago but have not been able to get the slide raised to get to it. Was the teflon glide inserted in a metal piece? that is how it looks to me. Pictures would help and you can PM me if you want. Thanks.
Mike and Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Responding to Mike

Is your slide a flat floor slide?

The 39W has only one slide in the front. It is on the street side. It is not a flat floor slide. As I recall a 39K has two slides in front, neither is a flat floor slide.

Do you have the storemore storage on that slide also?

yes

Do you have photos of when the slide was tilted?

I do not have photos of when the slide is tilted. Run your slide out about half way ... get two friends to push on the top of the slide ... you will be able to shove a 1 1/2 inch block under the slide. I am not sure what you could see in the photo ... you would need a micro camera to get a picture under there.

I have 39k and want to do the same thing. I have the new carpeted glide i bought from Winnebago

You will need to remove all of the carpet and the 1/4" plywood strip before you can install your new glide. We found we had to jack up the slide on the outside before we could remove the carpet and the plywood strip.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the reply. The drivers side slide of the 39k is a flat floor slide and i have been having a problem getting to the glide to change it out. I have been told the factory will do it but they remove the slide trim and run it out a little further and chnage it out from the outside but the cost is a little steep at over $1000. I guess I will keep trying until I figure it out.

Great job by the way.
Mike and Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

We had to revert to Plan C in the floor replacement ... the steel floor in the front was not flat enough to tile the whole front ... luckily it was flat enough in the traffic area to tile.

Carpet was installed under both the driver and passenger seat ... the sides of the entry stair well was carpeted with the new carpet.

The beige strip across the coach is where the wooden subfloor meets the steel subfloor ... there was enough difference in height that the tile could not be installed over the seam.

The wife is pleased ... so it is a good job.

Here are pictures of the finished floor

Old 11-27-2013, 05:30 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
you can use carpet shims to go from plywood to steel. they come in various thickness and slope from whatever elevation required back 12 inches to zero.
you did a nice upgrade
Old 11-27-2013, 06:22 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Skigramp, that looks very nice.

We had the carpet replaced in our 2002 Journey. We ended up using Allure Ultra. We also had the drivers side flat floor slide.

The shop doing the work tilted the slide to remove the metal glide strips/runners that worked with carpet. They replaced those with a single piece if 1/4" carpet covered plywood. The had a stainless steel transition strip/ramp where the main coach floor ended under the slide floor.

They dealth with the transition from wood subfloor to metal in the cockpit with some underlayment that spanned that joint. I would have been fine with them just using a trim strip at that joint but they wanted to create a seamless look.

They also did the entire bedroom (I had ceramic tile in the galley/bath area). Total cost for materials and labor was $1,500.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, replace, replacement