Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-12-2021, 01:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Norcold not cold while traveling

Wondering if anyone else has the issue of rising refrigerator temps ONLY while underway (Norcold double door model)
My theory is either some type of reverse air flow in the stack, or the drain is letting in hot air. But I have been chasing this for 2 years. It seems fine when parked/camping and will recover from a trip, but on some longer trips I have measured temps up to 58 degrees. The freezer does better, but still rises some.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:54 PM   #2
Site Team

What do you set the fridge's power source to while you drive? Auto, A/C or Gas? Or do you turn it off when you travel?

Does this only occur on the first day of a trip or does it happen every time you travel - every travel day?

At the start of a trip do you pre-cool the fridge down before loading and then travel with cold fridge and wait for the fridge to recover from adding food?

We need lots of details about what you do, what you've done, etc to begin to make suggestions.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
What do you set the fridge's power source to while you drive? Auto, A/C or Gas? Or do you turn it off when you travel?

Does this only occur on the first day of a trip or does it happen every time you travel - every travel day?

At the start of a trip do you pre-cool the fridge down before loading and then travel with cold fridge and wait for the fridge to recover from adding food?

We need lots of details about what you do, what you've done, etc to begin to make suggestions.
The fridge and freezer are stocked always to some extent, but cooled down well before we leave. I have shore power at home when I park it. I have tried both AC and gas when this happens, and it does not seem to matter. The freezer is as low as -2 and fridge as low as 34 before we depart, and it happens every time we travel. It doesn't seem to matter what the setting is, it never stops to cycle, it is always on, trying to cool. (I can tell by the AC draw or hearing the gas) I have tried turning it off while travelling too. It still gets warm, making me wonder if I am introducing hot air from the drain?
Old 04-12-2021, 06:49 PM   #4
Site Team

When you travel if you don't have the Fridge on Auto or LP (Gas) and only if you have propane and the LP valve is on, it will not cool. So I still haven't heard the magic words... "I travel with the fridge on LP and the RV has propane in the tank and the valve is on."

So, I can't tell if you have a problem or you just aren't running the fridge on propane while you travel.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I like creativepart's questions as I think I know where he is going?

I have Norcold; but not double door. I don't see what you state. I can have my freezer and fridge fully refrigerated and make a 5 hour trip and still have ice in the freezer.

On a side note I am working on mod now whereby I will no longer use propane or genset when traveling; and still be able to run my inside fridge.

Based on what info you have provided I would do the following.

1) Plug off the drain to to prove or disprove your drain theory.
2) Call Norcold Phone: 1-800-543-1219 If it has ever happened to anyone they should know.

My wild guess would be that may it has something to do with a faulty sensor such that when you travel it moves or loses contact and send false temp readings. That may explain why the energy source is irrelevant to your problem

Good luck
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
When you travel if you don't have the Fridge on Auto or LP (Gas) and only if you have propane and the LP valve is on, it will not cool. So I still haven't heard the magic words... "I travel with the fridge on LP and the RV has propane in the tank and the valve is on."

So, I can't tell if you have a problem or you just aren't running the fridge on propane while you travel.
First of all, I'm not stupid and this is not my first rodeo. I can run the fridge underway on the inverter OR on LP. As I stated, I have tried it both ways. And of course if I try it on LP the gas is ON. Jeez.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I like creativepart's questions as I think I know where he is going?

I have Norcold; but not double door. I don't see what you state. I can have my freezer and fridge fully refrigerated and make a 5 hour trip and still have ice in the freezer.

On a side note I am working on mod now whereby I will no longer use propane or genset when traveling; and still be able to run my inside fridge.

Based on what info you have provided I would do the following.

1) Plug off the drain to to prove or disprove your drain theory.
2) Call Norcold Phone: 1-800-543-1219 If it has ever happened to anyone they should know.

My wild guess would be that may it has something to do with a faulty sensor such that when you travel it moves or loses contact and send false temp readings. That may explain why the energy source is irrelevant to your problem

Good luck
Thanks, I searched this issue and apparently it is more common than I realized. But I have not seen anyone actually come up with a solution. Or for that matter, actually diagnose what the issue might be. BTW, my freezer maintains ice, it seems to do better than the fridge on the trips. It makes me think the fridge has some issue with introducing hot air somewhere.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:56 PM   #8

Nope: If the switch is set to gas and it don't cool. ...And your tech comes up with a work around to keep the gas on all the time, which is dangerous, but for $350 they will tell you if you need a new cooling unit or not.

If you need a new cooling unit, you should know you may be throwing more good money after bad; and just because you pay someone $1,500+ to install one of these Amish Cooling Kits, there's still no guarantee it will work as it once did.

If was my rig, I wouldn't spend a dime on fixing a NeverCold; and I would put the money into a residential refrigerator and/or add either LiFeO4 batteries or 400W of solar and a KeyLine VSR.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 04:28 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

When you stop lets say for fuel what happens to the frig?
When you arrive at camp site will the frig recover without plugging in?
Do you travel with (if you have) the generator on and if so does the frig work off 120v?

Have you check the door gaskets for leaks?
I believe someone else talked about the settings. I would make sure you are selecting one method of cooling instead of letting the frig decide. The frig maybe trying to find the correct way to cool but just keeps cycling between the different methods.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:10 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
When you stop lets say for fuel what happens to the frig?
When you arrive at camp site will the frig recover without plugging in?
Do you travel with (if you have) the generator on and if so does the frig work off 120v?

I believe someone else talked about the settings. I would make sure you are selecting one method of cooling instead of letting the frig decide. The frig maybe trying to find the correct way to cool but just keeps cycling between the different methods.
When the motorhome is stopped, it will begin to recover, but it is a slow process. It will begin to recover before going to shore power. Keep in mind, I have a whole house 2Kw inverter, so when I unplug, the fridge never is deprived of AC power, the inverter takes over automatically. I never travel with the genny on (unless I need to run the A/C) I have 800aH of batteries which are charged when the engine is running. So it is not an issue running the fridge on AC all the time. When the fridge cycles on, I can see a 35 amp draw on the inverter (DC) I see this draw while underway, so I know the fridge is trying to cool. Although I HAVE tried running on LP while underway just to see if it made any difference, it did not.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:18 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

LIKED
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved28 View Post
I have 800aH of batteries which are charged when the engine is running.
I am sticking with my theory that the only thing that can cause what you described for the Norcold to act differently with movement / vibration. There is loose wire or sensor somewhere. I am sticking with my story until proven otherwise
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:05 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post

I think you are closer to the root of the issue than most with this statement. Although I do not think I have a door gasket issue, since it cools fine while parked, I do think there is some compromise in the system. It could be as simple as a check valve in the drain, or a lack of sealant around that opening. Since the fridge seems to lose cold air, even if the fridge is shut down while traveling, I have to conclude the box is somehow introducing warm air. Also, it is much more of an issue in the fridge than the freezer.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:59 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

To check the door gaskets, the easiest way is to take a tissue and put it between the door and the gasket, shut the door. If there is resistance the gasket is ok. This will have to be done all over the door.

As each freezer is separate do you find each box to be equal in temp.

This is a real stab in the dark. When I changed my Norcold cooling unit from the original to totally AC i learned how the back is attached. By this I mean when you travel air my be getting between the cooling plates and the frig. This would cause no cooling transfer from plates to frig back. Try tightening the screws on the inside of the frig back wall. There will be a set in each freezer compartment and the ones on the fins. Again this is just a "wag"
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:12 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Norcold

Steve28, I had a similar issue. We normally depart from the desert, and in summer it would normally take 48 hours for the reefer (Norcold 2-door) to cool down. Traveling with the propane on (auto setting) the temps would creep up. Solution:
Added two muffin fans at the top of the condenser coil (Just under the roof screen) with a temp sensor on the coil. When the coil gets hot, the fans turn on. Reefer will run at 29-34 degrees in even the hottest weather. Don't know about freezer temp, as long as the ice cream stays hard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	temp sw.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	392.6 KB
ID:	178317   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2049.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	377.2 KB
ID:	178318  

PapaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 04:57 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved28 View Post
Wondering if anyone else has the issue of rising refrigerator temps ONLY while underway (Norcold double door model)
My theory is either some type of reverse air flow in the stack, or the drain is letting in hot air. But I have been chasing this for 2 years. It seems fine when parked/camping and will recover from a trip, but on some longer trips I have measured temps up to 58 degrees. The freezer does better, but still rises some.
My Dometic did that once, right after I had the cooling unit replaced on my previous coach. Ended up being the cooling unit was not sealed to the back of the refrigerator properly and was allowing hot summer air into the inside of the fridge while moving. Had to pull the fridge and reseal the cooling unit with some elastomeric sealer. It worked great after that. Larry 2014 Peyo p
ldfeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:14 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I also put two 120 mm computer fans under the roof vent. Along with an ARP controller with the fan option my Norcold reaches operating temp in 4-5 hours. If you have a sidewall vent rather than a roof vent the cooling performance is even worse. Go on the ARP website and look at their options. We already know of the issues with these units and they have the solutions. Good luck. It shouldn’t be too difficult to figure this out.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:37 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Just wanted to add that ARP has interior fans that are necessary for optimum ammonia fridge operation. Their products should be installed by the manufacturer. They don’t because it will cost too much. Everybody seems to want cheap. Norcold tried to infringe on the ARP patent and were swatted out of court. They seem to know that this is the answer.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:56 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

I have seen my share of issues with the Norcold, over 9 years of travelling full time, finally solved the issue with a JC Refrigeration compressor cooling unit replacing the Norcold cooling unit.

But in my opinion, since it is just happening when you travel, I think, just another opinion here, that you are getting lots of air forced into the space around the refer unit somehow. Why else would you lose cool, heat must be introduced from somewhere.

I know we could travel most of a day, and not loose much cooling even when the propane blew out, and we travelled with it turned off.

Tags
norcold, travel