Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-21-2021, 08:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

No signal to bedroom tv

In our "new to us" 2008 Sightseer I can't get a signal on our RCA bedroom tv. The instruction manual isn't very helpful. The tv turns on but can't figure out what I'm doing wrong that won't allow any signal in any mode. I would check the connections but there doesn't seem to be any access to the back of the RCA tv. We have a portable Directv satellite receiver setup on the front tv that works good but how do I get the signal to the rear tv. There's a mode on the RCA called "front tv" but it says no signal.

I'm also confused about how to get video on the front tv when I insert a DVD movie in the Jensen radio/dvd player. I get sound for the movie but no video. This seems to be a weird system but then again this is our first MH and perhaps it's just different than what I'm used to having in a 5th wheel. Any suggestions on either issue?

Phyllis
dennysbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 09:18 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have to say this is often a real headache as there are two things in the way. One is that folks often do get into the coax and make changes to fit what they are using at the time and that means there may not be a plan for the next user! Ouch!

Then it is also true that testing TV signals is often more difficult than other electrical as we don't have the right equipment.

So I'll pass along some basic drawing info and "maybe" you can spot one which tells you how and where things were meant to be when it left the factory?
first is the overall set of drawings for your RV:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm

Last couple drawings listed are the coax, first being the generic idea of how any set of equipment might be laid out to connect. Maybe looking to maych the parts you have will tell how it might connect?

Second seems to show locations for various groups?

Hope that leads to some help until somebody with personal experience with your Rv might show up!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 10:37 AM   #3
Site Team

This is all covered in section 8 "Entertainment" of your Operator's Manual.

However, I read the manual and it appears that RV came with CRT "Tube" TVs and not flat screens. Assuming the RV is new to you and it has flat screen TVs now then I would also assume that the entire OEM system has been bypassed and the details in the manual don't apply any longer.

If this is the case, you'll simply have to either talk to the previous owner that set up the new equipment OR hire someone that's savvy with this kind of thing. It's not difficult, but if you are not experienced with TV connections there really would be no way to communicate what you need do, nor could we know what you have setup now.

Here's a link to that Operator's Manual for your 2008 Sightseer:

https://www.winnebago.com/Admin/Publ...8Sightseer.pdf
Old 12-22-2021, 07:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks. I'll check it out.
Old 12-22-2021, 07:51 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks. I've got the manual and have reviewed that section but it appears some of the toggle switches aren't on our unit. I'll keep looking.
Old 12-29-2021, 05:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have an '08 Sightseer also. The front tv is a Jensen 28" flatscreen HD set. The rear is the RCA that is probably the same as yours- crt type. If this is your setup than I've used it with no problem for years (we're the original owners). The rear set is more cumbersome and slower than the Jensen in front. The remote does everything. Start by selecting the antenna type, then push setup and follow the on-screen prompts. Tomorrow evening we will be inside the rv so we could talk on the phone if you want to do that.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 08:57 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
I have an '08 Sightseer also. The front tv is a Jensen 28" flatscreen HD set. The rear is the RCA that is probably the same as yours- crt type. If this is your setup than I've used it with no problem for years (we're the original owners). The rear set is more cumbersome and slower than the Jensen in front. The remote does everything. Start by selecting the antenna type, then push setup and follow the on-screen prompts. Tomorrow evening we will be inside the rv so we could talk on the phone if you want to do that.
Thank you for your offer! Unfortunately we only have a dish set up when we're camping but hopefully we'll be camping sometime during January. I may contact you then to see if you're still able to help. Since we can't get video on the Jensen TV in the front, I'm concerned the previous owner may have changed all the cable connections which may require me getting some help to pull the tvs out to see the connections in the back.
Old 12-31-2021, 11:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I sent you a pm with my #. I can't help you at all with the dish set up except that it has a hookup in the utility bay next to the cable tv one. Ours came with a sat dish installed already on the roof and we've never used it. Just so you know, the splitter for the tv's is below the bottom drawer in the bedroom at the far right below the tv. It has each cable color coded to tell you where each one goes. If I remember right it's a 3wy that feeds the outside tv connection, the front, and then rear tv locations. If I were you I'd download the wiring diagrams on the Winne site...all the info is there.
Old 01-01-2022, 11:22 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
I sent you a pm with my #. I can't help you at all with the dish set up except that it has a hookup in the utility bay next to the cable tv one. Ours came with a sat dish installed already on the roof and we've never used it. Just so you know, the splitter for the tv's is below the bottom drawer in the bedroom at the far right below the tv. It has each cable color coded to tell you where each one goes. If I remember right it's a 3wy that feeds the outside tv connection, the front, and then rear tv locations. If I were you I'd download the wiring diagrams on the Winne site...all the info is there.
The satellite setup is fine and works on the front tv. The only thing that doesn't work there is video from the Jensen radio dvd player. I'll pull out the drawers in the bedroom to look for the splitter to see if that gives us any help for the bedroom tv. Thank you for the information.

Phyllis
Old 01-01-2022, 09:22 PM   #10
Veteran RV Owner

Curious, can your TV in the bedroom even "Auto Tune" OTA signals from local stations? You would have to turn on the power switch to the rooftop antenna and then go into the settings on the TV under "Channels" or something like that and select "Auto Tune" to let it try and tune to any off the air (OTA) signals it can see.
armullis59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 09:21 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Phyllis,

The splitter doesn't have anything to do with the Jensen audio/video unit It's connected via rca cords up to the tv...you know- the white/yellow/red ones. You can peek in back of the tv to see if they are connected..To check the player you can take the panel off the dash (3 screws) and look down in back. You might have to move the backup monitor to get good access. Before all this however-the "source" button on the remote needs to be selected and enter the right entry for the player from the little black and red box that appears on the upper right part of the tv screen.
Old 01-03-2022, 11:31 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Thanks I'll check the autotune the next time we're out camping.
Old 01-08-2022, 08:08 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2016 Sightseer 36z and am getting no signal on the front room TV when using my Dish Tailgater. I get a pic when I hook the HMDI Cable directly from the receiver in the overhead cabinet to the TV. I found that one of the HDMI Extender receiver packs was inoperable and replaced it but still no joy. Any info would be appreciated.
E.J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 09:36 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the input. We're still working to get to the back of the bedroom TV to look at connections. According to Winnebago customer service we have to remove a few wall panels to get access. Not exactly a job we look forward to but plan to try. Our unit doesn't have any drawers under the TV so no splitter access there. Once we determine the connections behind the TV we'll check for corresponding cables in the front of the unit. I think that might be where the problem lies because we can't get any video from the DVD player either. It may be a while but I'll update what we find once we find it.
Old 02-12-2022, 10:30 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I left you my number- call me.