Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2007, 07:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I was contacted by my Oasis dealer about the steering recall for Freightliner. It is recall #FL-509 and concerns chassis with the ZF-8018 steering gear.

Apparently my coach has the ZF -8016 gear and not a part of the recall. I suggest you call before taking your coach in so as not to waste a trip....I almost did.
jtharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:12 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I was contacted by my Oasis dealer about the steering recall for Freightliner. It is recall #FL-509 and concerns chassis with the ZF-8018 steering gear.

Apparently my coach has the ZF -8016 gear and not a part of the recall. I suggest you call before taking your coach in so as not to waste a trip....I almost did.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:16 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Great info, thanks Jim! Do you know what chassis that applied to? I have an XCS.....

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I know it applies to the XC chassis but there are others.

On the NHSTA site it is ID. # 07V343000.

It will list all the chassis with the ZF-8018 steering gear. Then you have to check the VIN # to see if it applies to your coach.

Here is the link:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/
Old 09-27-2007, 02:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the 8018 box only came on the Chassis with Tag axle's.

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jtharley:

It will list all the chassis with the ZF-8018 steering gear. Then you have to check the VIN # to see if it applies to your coach.

Here is the link:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I went to the the web site you referenced, I input the # you referneced and am not getting anywhere where I can search a vin #. I have read the original recall but it does not reference vin#'s. ??

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

The oasis dealer askd for the last 7 digits of my vin # and then informed me I had the 8016 gear. I'm not sure if it was on this site or the rv.net site but there is a good thread with all the links to the exact pages.

The FL-509 recall was just posted today by freightliner to it's oasis dealers. Another member posted information about it several weeks ago because I immediately called Tim (service manager) and he had not even heard about the recall yet.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:57 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimandsue60:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jtharley:

Here is the link:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I went to the the web site you referenced, I input the # you referneced and am not getting anywhere where I can search a vin #. I have read the original recall but it does not reference vin#'s. ??

Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look here http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...ls/results.cfm

Put in number 07V343000

PHESPE
PHESPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:55 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Just some info. I have a 2004 Horizon 40AD and I checked out the tag on my steering box. It is an 8018 box so I guess I will wait and see if I get notification from Freightliner. The tag is very visible on the front of the steering box.

Pete
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote