Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2021, 10:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

No Chassis AC

I have a 2000 Itasca with a 454 and the Workhorse Chassis. Chassis AC has not been working since I bought the Unit 2 years ago as the Compressor was not coming on. I hooked up some Gauges and found both sides were 15 psi so there is a leak but not a major one. I added a Can of Refrigerant and the Compressor is now coming on but high side is not going over 100 psi and low side is too high 50-60 psi and Vents still blowing warm. I believe the Compressor is shot and shows signs of overheating. On the low side line coming out of the Evaporator into the Compressor there is a Bulb on top of the Compressor which is getting really hot. I believe it and the low side line should actually be on the cool side. I can't seem to find a Schematic of my system to identify the Bulb. Anyone know what it is and what could be the problem before I put on a new Compressor. Thanks.
Gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Do you have any experiance in auto air.? You have a leak somewhere in your system and you need to locate it. Look for any oil at fittings,connections and hoses. Soap bubbles will help if you can pressurize your system. Then

tYou will need to evaculate your system and see if it will hold a vacumn. If you repair the leak, change the drier, evaculate and recharge .
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

21 year old AC? I would say it has served it's useful life, just go get a new one and call it a day.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 02:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

sounds like you might have a plugged orifice,these are usually right before the drier so as deckape mentioned replace the drier,if yours is like mine it will be under the windshield washer jug and it has a sight glass but they paint over it,which is funny as there is a sticker under the hood that says a clear sight glass is not an indicator that the a/c is full..i have a 99 vectra gt on the p12 chassis i will go look and see if i can see what this bulb is you speak of.mine was just putting out hot air.i have/had 3 issues.1.my water valve was junk.2 the plastic hose that goes to the water valve was dry rotted and leaking,and as the water valve and a blend door both use the same hose even with the a/c working it couldn't get where it needed to be. 3 a/c was a little low.so with the water valve now closing and the blend door opening and a full a/c its cold now.
catmandoo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 02:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

o.k. just looked at mine and what i think you are refering to is the bulge in the pipe right before it enters the compressor.if so i believe it is a muffler to quiet the flow thru the pipe.and mine does not have an orifice it has an expansion valve,it is right before the line goes into the evap housing,it will have a little saucer like thing on top bout 2 inches across.usually when charging you will not get cold a/c til it is pretty close to full.i would try charging it but keep an eye on the gauges.and shut the a/c off on occasion to let the pressure equalize.
catmandoo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

This may prove helpful: RV dash air service manual
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:11 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Chassis AC doesn't work on our 2003 Adventurer and I don't really care. I start the gen and cool the whole motorhome. Gen does use some fuel but not that much. Running chassis AC puts a load on the engine that uses more fuel as well. It may not be a wash but I'd rather be comfortable and have the whole MH cool when I arrive at our destination.

Tags
chassis