Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2020, 11:20 AM   #1
Site Team

Newmar - Front Engine Diesel for 2021

WBGO Corp partner Newmar has announced a new front engine diesel for the 2021 Canyon Star motorhome line. The Canyon Star was the top of the line GAS engine Class A on the market.

The details were just released at the Newmar Dealer show which took place online this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Here's a full article:

https://rvbusiness.com/newmars-canyo...engine-diesel/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Canyon-Star-FRED.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	173162  
Old 03-31-2020, 01:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

It's on the Freightliner MC chassis, it's not new. It goes back to the last time motorhome manufacturers tried using FREDs. In fact, Winnebago has been listing it as an option for commercial shells all along.

Freightliner Custom Chassis Corporation Introduces New MC-L RV Chassis

Winnebago Commercial Shells

It'll be interesting to see what the upcharge is. A lot of ask why manufacturers don't do FREDs. We'll see if it flies this time.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:36 PM   #3
Site Team

I do know that there were a few FRED RVs in the past and that it didn't sell all that well at the time. But it's pretty new in today's market. That link you posted is 11 years old. So, it's been a while.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:59 PM   #4
Site Team

Will the diesel be the only choice on the Canyon Star, or will it still come as a gasser? I couldn’t tell from the announcement.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:46 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
Will the diesel be the only choice on the Canyon Star, or will it still come as a gasser? I couldn’t tell from the announcement.
I was wondering the same thing.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:14 PM   #6
Site Team

Saw a video on YouTube with new Newmar coaches.

Canyon Star is FRED only. And it costs $45,000 less than a comparable Kountry Star, the lowest cost Newmar DP.

It has Air Brakes and rear Air Suspension only.

All former Floorplans return.

Old 04-04-2020, 04:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

As I understand the history of the FRED when it was introduced 6-8? years ago, the cockpit noise was intolerable and that led to its demise. With a diesel, the noise would likely have been greater than with a comporable gas class A. If they have been able to reduce the noise, it could be a new contender in the diesel marketplace.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

After all the crap we have been through with the JUNK Winnebago we have now. We were thinking of looking into a Newmar but now that the MICKEY MOUSE Winnebago Industries owns them it is now NOT an option ! Too bad they bought them . They will only SCREW them up and put them out of business !

2018 Forza 38F
Biggest piece of JUNK I have ever owned ! Will never buy another Winnebago again !
Tom Ficca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Forza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Ficca View Post
After all the crap we have been through with the JUNK Winnebago we have now. We were thinking of looking into a Newmar but now that the MICKEY MOUSE Winnebago Industries owns them it is now NOT an option ! Too bad they bought them . They will only SCREW them up and put them out of business !

2018 Forza 38F
Biggest piece of JUNK I have ever owned ! Will never buy another Winnebago again !
What problems have you had with your Forza. We’ve had several, mostly annoyances. We expected a much better fit and finish with Winnebago that’s why we bought it. We were burned too many times by Forest River and Thor. Our punch list was 30 items. But things like the master BR mattress not working properly wasn’t WBGO’s fault.
JDove22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:55 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Their decision to go FRED with the diesel is doomed to failure. Look at the first attempts over 11 years ago. I personally test drove a Tiffin on the Freightliner chassis. A real dog- very noisy, shifts too often and very tiring to drive. On the other hand, the UFO chassis built with the Workhorse 8.1 in the rear was promising in my book. Although, just like the FRED, it only lasted a couple of years. It escapes me why Winnebago would try this again....can anyone answer that?
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:57 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Ficca View Post
They will only SCREW them up and put them out of business !
Just like they did with Grand Design. Right?

Sorry you got a Winnebago you don't like. When we bought our Adventurer it was between it and a 3710 Canyon Star. We're VERY happy with the Winnebago. Zero regrets. Glad actually as it suits us better and has been super well built, too.

Truth is, you can find an unhappy owner with any RV made by any manufacturer.

Tom, the ONLY problem you've reported here is problems with basement compartment door latches - which were recalled, and then recalled a 2nd time when the replacement latches were sub-par. Is this the problem with your Forza that has you so down on your RV and Winnebago??
Old 04-06-2020, 08:59 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

One of the things I dislike most about my Adventurer is the engine noise in the cockpit. Having the engine in the front also moves the generator to the back. in the case of my rig it's right under the bed. Seems exactly opposite of good common sense.

2016 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
scottybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:17 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottybee View Post
One of the things I dislike most about my Adventurer is the engine noise in the cockpit.
It's no help to you I'm sorry to say... but one year newer Adventurer with the revised powertrain and the engine noise in the cockpit is pretty much a non-issue. The only time we're aware of engine noise is climbing or descending the very highest mountain grades.

The 6-speed transmission just solved so many of the issues with the chassis in an RV.

Of course, the genset is still under the bed area, but we don't usually sleep with it running. I think the only time we've done that is for an afternoon nap.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:25 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottybee View Post
One of the things I dislike most about my Adventurer is the engine noise in the cockpit. Having the engine in the front also moves the generator to the back. in the case of my rig it's right under the bed. Seems exactly opposite of good common sense.
I haven't looked at this Newmar design, but the only advantage I see of front engine is maintenance--but only if the entire engine cover opens up. See the 8:40 mark of this video.

Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:27 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
It's no help to you I'm sorry to say... but one year newer Adventurer with the revised powertrain and the engine noise in the cockpit is pretty much a non-issue. The only time we're aware of engine noise is climbing or descending the very highest mountain grades.

The 6-speed transmission just solved so many of the issues with the chassis in an RV.

Of course, the genset is still under the bed area, but we don't usually sleep with it running. I think the only time we've done that is for an afternoon nap.

Actually that is pretty much the case for my Adv. also. When cruising on flat roads at 65 mph it's not to bad. But I think with a DP even when you're climbing hills it would be nice and quiet.
Same thing with the generator we rarely use it at night, but I do not like the heat so if I'm boondocking and it's hot I want the A/C going.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:30 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I haven't looked at this Newmar design, but the only advantage I see of front engine is maintenance--but only if the entire engine cover opens up. See the 8:40 mark of this video.

Yeah I love the Super C's. Haven't driven one but I sure like the idea.

Old 04-07-2020, 04:03 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDove22 View Post
What problems have you had with your Forza. We’ve had several, mostly annoyances. We expected a much better fit and finish with Winnebago that’s why we bought it. We were burned too many times by Forest River and Thor. Our punch list was 30 items. But things like the master BR mattress not working properly wasn’t WBGO’s fault.
12-09-2018 COACH HAS BEEN WINTERIZED
Repairs needed to Ficca motor home
Left brake / tail /directional not working (again )
No marker lights at all on rear of coach
Water leak @ shower (still) appears to be between valve and shower head behind shower stall.
Wall in mid bath on right side has come loose from frame
Cabinet over bed in master bed has come apart
No 110v anywhere in coach .Your tech knows what needs to be replaced
Freezer door needs replacing . You were waiting for parts
Cab A/C blows warm air
Lock for slide topper on left side is broke or missing. (tent stake holding it in place)
Seal for same slide works it’s way out on top .
Bracket for rear grill is broke right side
Floor tiles ?????????
Both bathroom doors work when they feel like it
Wind noise coming from entrance door
Wall for rear bath loose . This is only a small list of what was wrong with it. The water leak in the shower caused the MAIN transfer switch and the INVERTER to BOTH short out ! This happened while we were in Fl. We came home from Fl to RI with NO refridgerator no 110 power in the unit . We lost food and medication .

In the end the dealer had the unit for 4 months and Winnebago basically told me to go fly a kit . We are still waiting for the "RECALLED" compartment door latches to be replaced. They are popping open at will every 15-to 20 miles going down the highway . I am VERY disappointed with Winnebago and my dealer! Neither one could have cared less about my delema! I will NEVER buy another Winnebago junk again . And as for the Dealer............well I cannot say what needs to be said about them here !
Tom Ficca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine