Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2022, 03:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Newbie question RE: 2016 Winnebago Vista LX. backup camera

Newbie question RE: 2016 Winnebago Vista LX. backup camera

I posted this first on iRV2.com and it was suggested I also post my problem here.

The reverse backup camera worked when we bought it 5 weeks ago. I apparently hit the wrong button or series of buttons and disconnected the backup camera. I have looked in the three manuals that came with it and cannot find any information of how to fix it. I have no clue what I did.

I’m hoping a more experienced person (that is just about everyone on this site) can help me figure out how fix my mistake.

We are taking it out on a test run, I think I saw the phrase shake-down on the site (iRV2com) in two weeks and the backup camera is a must

Thanking all of you in advance for your help
Russ.n.Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 07:53 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Not the guy you need as no experience with that camera but I might throw in some thoughts.
Rather than say it has stopped working, can you give folks a much better detailed review of what it does/ does not do?
Like does it light up at all onthe screen when you go into reverse? does itlight but no picture and that sort of details will make a difference in it being something like a plug loose or something like the way you turn it on.

And as just a word on what we can get into on problems, it is really easy to think we have done something wrong to make things quit, when the true problem is it happensat just the wrong time to fool us?
Sort of thing that timing makes us feel we did it but it may just be that we got up on the wrong side of the bed that day??

But do tell us lots more of what you are finding!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 08:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Not the guy you need as no experience with that camera but I might throw in some thoughts.
Rather than say it has stopped working, can you give folks a much better detailed review of what it does/ does not do?
Like does it light up at all onthe screen when you go into reverse? does itlight but no picture and that sort of details will make a difference in it being something like a plug loose or something like the way you turn it on.

And as just a word on what we can get into on problems, it is really easy to think we have done something wrong to make things quit, when the true problem is it happensat just the wrong time to fool us?
Sort of thing that timing makes us feel we did it but it may just be that we got up on the wrong side of the bed that day??

But do tell us lots more of what you are finding!

Good Idea, more information is always helpful.

The right and left cameras still work perfectly when their directional are on. On the first and second test drive the backup camera went on after I moved the MH a few feet when I put it in reverse.

Before the third test drive I tried to get the backup camera to be on full time Being a brand new MH driver I wanted as much information about my surroundings as possible. I obviously did something wrong because the backup camera only showed a blank black screen that said image may be reversed.

Hubby is an excellent teacher, he has been driving tractor trailers and all different types of trailers and MH since he was in his teens many decades ago. When it comes to technology he is not as comfortable as I am.

This is what I did
went into setup menu
scrolled to camera
turned both camera options to on
set the last option to battery.

That is when the backup camera stopped working.

Thank you again for a great suggestion
Old 06-15-2022, 05:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Someone on this sister site mentioned that when their battery died they also lost their backup camera. Our batteries also died between the second and third test drive. Newbie move we forgot to turn off something.

I don't know if that is the key to why I cannot get the backup camera to work or not.

Again any suggestions are welcomed.

Carol
Old 06-15-2022, 08:13 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Okay, that may be the sort of timing thing that makesyou feel you did it when the battery change made it fail??/

Since the cameras are not part of what Winnebago considers "their " part, we get less than the best for wiringinfo on the camera.

Just a random idea is that you might need to check for any fuses blown and those may be out under the hood rather than the group for the "normal" RV stuff like inside lights, fans, etc. I can't find anything on the coach wiring diagrams that jumps up to say camera!
Also there are some radios/displays which have fuses behind them in the dash! UGH!

But then I better get out of this as that is the full blown end of my guessing!

Somebody who knows more may be along soon?

I'm more into the battery charge question and it is almost standard for newer users to miss getting the batteries right at first. Onebig thing to know is that there are "parasitic drains" which are still left connected EVEN when we use the battery disconnect switch!
Safety items like CO and propane detecors and steps may still run the coach batteries down if we don'tworkto keep them charged while stored.
The start battery has some as well and keeping a charger on the coach batteries DOES NOT keep the start charged.

Whole section to study there,maybe?
Old 06-15-2022, 10:51 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Okay, that may be the sort of timing thing that makesyou feel you did it when the battery change made it fail??/

Since the cameras are not part of what Winnebago considers "their " part, we get less than the best for wiringinfo on the camera.

Just a random idea is that you might need to check for any fuses blown and those may be out under the hood rather than the group for the "normal" RV stuff like inside lights, fans, etc. I can't find anything on the coach wiring diagrams that jumps up to say camera!
Also there are some radios/displays which have fuses behind them in the dash! UGH!

But then I better get out of this as that is the full blown end of my guessing!

Somebody who knows more may be along soon?

I'm more into the battery charge question and it is almost standard for newer users to miss getting the batteries right at first. Onebig thing to know is that there are "parasitic drains" which are still left connected EVEN when we use the battery disconnect switch!
Safety items like CO and propane detecors and steps may still run the coach batteries down if we don'tworkto keep them charged while stored.
The start battery has some as well and keeping a charger on the coach batteries DOES NOT keep the start charged.

Whole section to study there,maybe?
I will make a check list of what I need to do before leaving the MH when not plugged in. I am so enjoying learning the ins and outs of the MH. The best part is both of us will be doing 50%. I really did not have to help when we used the TT.

To paraphrase Einstein or Edison (I hope it is one of them), we have found a few ways to not fix the camera. I prefer to call guessing, brain storming.

I will pass your suggestions to hubby; he had a tractor trailer repair shop for decades. He is very familiar fuses and the mechanicals. He will definitely check under the hood for the fuses.

Thank you for get suggestions.

Carol
Old 06-15-2022, 01:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Since he is a truck guy, one way to help sort fuse locations may be to think of what would be on the normal truck chassis before they put a bed or box on the back. Those are often added by the chassis folksand then that stripped chassis is sent to Winnebagoand they add the RV stuff. So if it is something often found on a truck ( horn,lights, turn signal?) it will likely be found in a different box (under hood?) than things like inside lights, vents fans, furnace, microwave, etc. which the RV folks add.

Nothing is totally firm on that but kind of a start.

One of the biggerproblems with RV is the way we tend to use them. With acar, we can keep the battery charged up, even though there are thingslike radio presets, auto doors and ignition things that stay on and can runn the battery down---but not if we drive it every day or so.

But if we have the same drains on the RV and park it for several months, the battery does run down if we don't do something to keep it from happening.
Parking it makes it break down faster than using it every day, so keep those wheels turning!
Old 06-16-2022, 11:43 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thank all of your for your terrific suggestions. After checking with Winnebago customer care it was determined the camera was faulty. I'm so relived I did not cause the problem.

Now to look for a replacement camera.

Tags
camera, newbie, winnebago