Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2018, 02:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Newbie Antenna Question

I have an "08 Adventurer 38t with a Winegard Road Trip SD that was installed by the original owner in '09. After purchasing a Direct TV receiver from Winegard, Direct TV could not get a signal to activate the receiver. Today I worked with two different Winegard reps trying to get a signal. This included moving the coach to an open area after the first attempt was declared a failure. The last attempt was also a failure. The rep said that my attenna was too old to receive the latest signal technology. She said that there is no way to convert my antenna to where it can receive a signal. She said my only way to receive a satellite signal is to buy a new antenna. Has anyone had a similar experience? Is the rep correct? Thanks in advance for any input.
rockymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Yes, I had a antenna on a 07 journey and it was having the same problem in not able to receive and lock on. Winngard would sell a new antenna at half price at that time, but I have not spent the money and just go with over the air or cable.
Matterbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

My '02 Winegard Trav'ler dish is working fine with DirecTv after I activated it in '16. Antennas are not a big mystery. I'd find a local satellite dealer and go talk to their techs. Don't believe anything a salesperson says about it, talk to a tech. Go upstairs on your rig and take some basic measurements of the dish, note how many horns there are, take some pictures to take on your phone with you when you talk to someone.

You might have a DishTV satellite antenna though...

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, newbie