Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

NewBe Questions - '13 Sunstar 27N

Hello.

I bought an Itasca 2013 Sunstar 27N last week. Right now it is sitting in the back yard and I'm trying to figure out how it works. I'm going to take my first trip tomorrow.

Two questions.

First. What does the word basement mean? I have been reading posts here on irv2 for the past few days and it is not clear to me what it means.

Second. The manuals seem to be pretty understandable except for the instructions on the use of propane. If I open the valve on the propane tank does the refrigerator work automatically? How does the pilot light get turned on?
FM1446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM1446 View Post
Hello.

I bought an Itasca 2013 Sunstar 27N last week. Right now it is sitting in the back yard and I'm trying to figure out how it works. I'm going to take my first trip tomorrow.

Two questions.

First. What does the word basement mean? I have been reading posts here on irv2 for the past few days and it is not clear to me what it means.

Second. The manuals seem to be pretty understandable except for the instructions on the use of propane. If I open the valve on the propane tank does the refrigerator work automatically? How does the pilot light get turned on?
Our best friends and sometimes travel buddies traded for a Vista 27N which is the Winnebago twin of yours. The the first thing they did is install a combo washer/dryer. They traded in Florida in January and have about 5k on it now.

Basement is the areas accessed below floor level from the bay doors outside the motorhome. When the LP is turned on and you are also hooked up to shore power or the generator is running the normal default is to 120 VAC. you can use the control on the frig to select LP. When you don't have. 120 VAC available then the frig can be set to automatically seek LP.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Basement is the outside storage compartments below the floor.
Any time you open the LP tank valve the quickest way to fill the lines is to light a stove burner. As soon as it flames steady, turn the burner off and start the refrigerator with the button controls on the front of the fridge (automatic spark ignition). The button panel will show you if it fails to start because the LP hasn't filled the line yet. Push the button control again if needed.
1995 F53 35U Bounder, Wide Body-Large Vertical Windows-NO SLIDES, Front Axle-Davis Tru-Trac Bar, Rear Axle-SuperSteer Trac Bar, TowBar/Brake System-NSA ReadyBrute Elite, Family Motor Coach Association F 513--F 513s
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Hello.

Two questions.

To me, basement refers to the area between the frame runners of the chassis. This is where mfgs will put water, grey and black tanks and other various items. This area is usually sealed off from the elements and are generally heated (by a furnace duct) to keep things from freezing. You could also call the storage center area between outside bays a basement too, or even the bays themselves since they are below the ground floor.

Since your rig is new, your fridge should have an "auto sensing" feature. If it's "sees" 120v power (with the fridge turned on of course) it will use the 120v automatically. If not, it will switch itself to try propane. Providing your tank has propane and the valve is open, it will use the propane. There is no pilot light. If propane is there, it will use 12vdc with an electronic ignitor. Your fridge should be manually switchable too. Your fridge manual should spell all this out for you.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Ok. Thanks for the info. I think I'm ready to go.

I did have a third question, which was....How often do propane tanks explode?

But I don't think I need to ask it. I guess I don't really want to know.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Generally about 15% of them explode in the first year.

Now that you're off the floor, NEVER EVER heard of one exploding. These things are made to withstand everything this side of a nuclear blast. So stay away from those and you'll be fine
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Generally about 15% of them explode in the first year.

I think I broke a rib.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:49 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Welcome to the forum. Have a great time camping in your new rig. Great, funny, and interesting folks here.
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:51 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Welcome to the forum....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

When we first bought our Adventurer, I thought that I had the leanest burning furnace in the world. The guage showed 3/4 of a tank of propane and the monitor inside reflected the same. First time out and it was pretty cold so on came the furnace. It burned fine for four days and the guage was still showing 2/3 of a tank. It shut down on day five, out of propane. Guess it's time for a new guage, hope I don't have to replace the whole tank.
1999 Winnebago Adventurer, Sam, Judy, Grand Daughter - Kenzie, 3 spoiled Pomeranians, Bella, Tinker and Aurora - 1 spoiled JR terrier, Mayzee - 1996 Ford Explorer, Sport 2 Door, 4 wheel drive, pulls 4 down like a dream.
Sam Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Congrats on your new coach !!

Janet & the Great Danes !
2011 Itasca Sunova 37L
Sunova37L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Ok. Thanks for the info. I think I'm ready to go.

They'll only explode once.
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Ok.....

So I've spent the past two weeks reading my manuals and doing some RV'ing. Visited a couple of Texas State Parks. Very nice...

I think, for the most part, I have figured most of the moving parts and systems. There are a couple of things I have not figured out, yet.

First. Tires. How do you check tire pressure on the four rear tires? There are two valve stems on one side of the vehicle and none on the other.

Second. Tires. Is it safe to check tire pressure and fill them with air? A picture in the manual seems to indicate that this should be done with some kind of special attachment by technically trained personnel.

Third. The automatic leveler. The manual says that you should not level the vehicle if the front of the vehicle is higher than the back of the vehicle so that the back tires come up off the ground. Sometimes is not possible to find a space with the front of the vehicle lower than the back of the vehicle. Should I be using wheel chocks with the automatic leveler? And what kind of wheel chocks?

Fourth. For me, the RV driving is comfortable and stable if I drive 45 to 53 mph. Note - I do not like to drive fast - I like to drive at 53 to 55 mph. Above 55 the RV seems to become unstable, kind of jumpy. Is it bad manners to drive 55 on a two lane highway? I was on a two lane highway the other day and the speed limit was 70 mph.

I really appreciate all the info you all have been providing.....
Old 05-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

The inner valve stem can usually be reached between the tires, I finally installed extenders and checking air is much easier now. I use a truck type air chuck, one with a straight and angle chuck. You can air your own tires. Our manual says the same thing about being level...the idea being the parking brakes are on the rear and if you lift the rear wheels...the vehicle could slide or roll...the manual recommends turning the RV around or get another site.
You MH should not feel unstable above 55. Has it been weighed when loaded so you know where the weight is and maybe adjust it? Are the tires set for the weight. Dealers usually inflate the tires to the max and that can cause poor handling. Lastly you should also get the front alignment checked with the MH loaded , you may find that this off too.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Congrats on your Unit. We pick ours up tomorrow.
TravelDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Ok.....

So I've spent the past two weeks reading my manuals and doing some RV'ing. Visited a couple of Texas State Parks. Very nice...

I think, for the most part, I have figured most of the moving parts and systems. There are a couple of things I have not figured out, yet.

First. Tires. How do you check tire pressure on the four rear tires? There are two valve stems on one side of the vehicle and none on the other.

Second. Tires. Is it safe to check tire pressure and fill them with air? A picture in the manual seems to indicate that this should be done with some kind of special attachment by technically trained personnel.

Third. The automatic leveler. The manual says that you should not level the vehicle if the front of the vehicle is higher than the back of the vehicle so that the back tires come up off the ground. Sometimes is not possible to find a space with the front of the vehicle lower than the back of the vehicle. Should I be using wheel chocks with the automatic leveler? And what kind of wheel chocks?

Fourth. For me, the RV driving is comfortable and stable if I drive 45 to 53 mph. Note - I do not like to drive fast - I like to drive at 53 to 55 mph. Above 55 the RV seems to become unstable, kind of jumpy. Is it bad manners to drive 55 on a two lane highway? I was on a two lane highway the other day and the speed limit was 70 mph.

I really appreciate all the info you all have been providing.....
If there is one thing that you can count on, it is that all camping spots are not level. I carry several 2x6,"cut at about 12" long and drive up on them with the wheels that are lowest. Then I use the leveling jacks. Many times the jacks will handle the difference without the blocks and they never leave the basement. But why leave home without them when they may allow you to sleep in a level bed!

A 2013 model Winnebago should provide you with a stable, comfortable ride. Chances are if it does not you have loaded the coach unevenly or the tires are misinflated. The owners manual should give you the numbers for both. The weight can easily be checked by weighing each axel and each tire seperatly.
Driving a large vehicle will feel different than driving a small car and you do need to adjust your driving habits accordingly. Yet it should still be able to safely maintain highway speeds.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

First thing I did on our 2012 37 footer was have the dealer spot weld extensions that allow easy access to check the pressure. At the same time, I had one of the remote tire pressure systems installed.

RV tire pressure is much higher than a car's. You'll need a very powerful compressor. Stations that provide these have warnings telling you that they will burst your tires. The picture is where the lawyers got into it. Be careful!

I will not level unless all wheels are in contact with the ground, even if the auto levelers will. If the site will allow it, I will manually level it to my satisfaction. (It doesn't have to be perfect!). Check your owner's manual for how to level manually.

I love to drive fast. Under the appropriate conditions and in an appropriately designed car. Not RV's. In California, an RV towing a car has a speed limit of 55mph. Under windy conditions, that is not always safe. Having driven back and forth to Florida in the last 4 months under some ridiculously windy conditions, the first thing I did was contact an RV repair center that specializes in fixing design problems in RV's. If you are having problems, find a reputable place and talk to them. Incidentally, the service center I talked to was recommended to me through this site. Research suggested their customers loved them. I visited their business yesterday to visually inspect their operation and evaluate their expertise. If you do that thing where you contact me privately, I'll tell you who they are. They may be able to help you find a service facility in your area.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

My Sunstar 27N came with valve extensions. It also handles very well at speeds greater than 65.

I was surprised to find a quick-connect fitting for an external gas grill.

Good luck while you're learning about your new MH.
TravelDuo is offline   Reply With Quote