Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

New Winnie Owner.

Hello all,
I am the proud owner of my first and possibly last Motor Coach. Last night, the wife and I bought a 2006 Winnebago Journey 39K with 47,000 miles on it. We got it through LaMesa RV. Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2007 Winnebago Tour DP (40'). We bought it last year and absolutely love it and I'm sure you will love yours, too. The quality of Winnebago, as well as the service personnel in Forest City, have been outstanding.
llmrealestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I bought a 2000 Journey new and traded this year. 93000 miles and twelve years I loved that Motor Home and someone is enjoying it today. Winnebago has very good quality and do extensive testing for safety. That was why I bought the Journey.
rdkng88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Welcome

We owners call them Winndbago and others call them Winnie. Do not ask me why
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

phinneyj,
Well Sir, congrats on your new purchase, and your entry into the IRV2 forum. It's a great place to place comments, ask questions and get good information. There's lots of experienced and knowledgeable folks on here that are willing to jump in and help.

As for what to look for and or, check out on your new rig, well, the obvious first is, if you can, check all the maintenance records to see what's been performed and when. And, to see what's due. Then, if you haven't already done it, check the "Dot" date on the tires. If you don't know what you're looking for, you'll see it on the side wall. Sometimes it's in a "oval" impression on the tire and part of the numbers will be something like this "3410". What that means, if you don't know is, that tire was processed/built in the 34th week of 2010.

You'll then know all the exact manufacturer dates of all of your tires and will be able to make an informed decision to keep or get new ones. Then, a good practice would be to make a card that you carry in you wallet that has the VIN of the coach, the serial number of the engine, and the serial number of the trans. You see, you'll need those numbers for about 85-95% of the purchases of parts for your rig, that are engine/chassis related. That of course is presuming you do the work yourself. It's still a good practice.

Anyway, hope you have a great time in your new rig.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the welcoming remarks. I can't wait until we get it home and equipped. Never thought i would ever have one this nice.
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
Old 12-19-2012, 12:56 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Congrats on the purchase, I bought ours in August and we do love it. I have it in the shop to really do some cosmetic fixings and then decided to have all the fluids changed, belts replaced, and fix a few things which we noticed on our first 6K mile Journey. One thing the RV Tech found by speaking with CAT that our engine since it was built has had 5 updates released. Interestingly, we were told both by the RV Techs and then by 3 others CAT locations that the CAT engines should be updated as the updates put all the settings in place where they should be, and it will improve mileage. The cost is $122 here for the updates. If you have a CAT engine, might be worth your time to have the engine checked for updates.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:06 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
Welcome

We owners call them Winnebago and others call them Winnie. Do not ask me why
LOL never could type
Old 12-19-2012, 07:24 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Don't forget to register your new to you Winnebago at Winnebago Industries Second Owner Registration

Something interesting you will find are the stickers inside of cabinets and many other items made by Winnebago. You can call them and give them the info from the label for replacement parts. They are a class act.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Every replacement part I ever needed including windows Winnebago had. Unfortunately the windows got very expensive as my Journey got older.
rdkng88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:16 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I saw that, I am kind of handy so knowing that information will be good.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:22 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Got a call from my service adviser today. With the holidays and that I bought the MH the day it came in. They still need to go through it. He has already taken care of a few things. La Mesa RV seems to be a real good company. We scheduled delivery date for the 28th. Now where to go for new years in Northern California.

I am so stoked I can't sleep.

I have already started downloading and studying the owners information from Freightliner, CAT, Winnebago and Onan.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:35 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Feels like I am studying up on a new E-one or Pierce. Just downloaded the Allison 3000MH owners manual. Wonderful readin.............Zzzzzzzz
Old 12-27-2012, 06:53 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

LOL here is lots of reading

Welcome to the Winnebago family – the company has excellent resources online.
Brochure archive
http://www.winnebagoind.com/products/previous-models/index.php
Operator Manuals
http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/manuals/operatormanuals.php
Manuals & Diagrams
http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/manuals/
Links on the page above to
Parts Catalog

Plumbing Diagrams
Wiring Diagrams
R.V. Parts and Accessories Catalog -
How to Identify a Motor home -
Sealants Callout Sheets
Operator Manuals
Paint Code Manuals
Audio Video Guides
Supplier Links
Click here
Service Tips:
Service Tips
Old 12-27-2012, 10:31 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Thanks.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:23 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Alright then, I got it and it is home. When I got to the pickup location for the PDI and final paperwork I found out that my 06 was in reality an 04. I can take a lot of blame on this one because I did not notice the 2004 written all over the contract and stuff like that. The mis-perception was because the sales guy kept telling me it was on 06 while we where looking at it and doing the test drive. Everyone was in a rush. Anyway, the dealer did me a couple of solids for the misunderstanding and I still got a great deal, just not a killer deal. It sill has to go back for them to fix all the problems with it. The backup camera went out two days ago and the current one is obsolete. The service guy said they where ordering a completely new color set for 1200 out of there pocket. They still got a some more work to do when we take it back with a long list of stuff. My wife is picky so I think they may do most of her list.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

You already have some great advice. We bought our 2005 Horizon this summer, on consignment. Tires are critical, so be sure they are in good condition. We negotiated new rear tires, and was told that prior owner had replaced the right front. I didn't know about the codes hen. The left front looked fine, but when we took the coach in to do a round of maintenance, I asked them to check the left front. Outside looked great, but there were 1/8 inch cracks on the inside sidewall. Turns out, that by the code, it was an original tire! Also, in term so maint, be sure that you have a clean aircleaner. It is something that can easily be skipped in maint, and can be expensive but really affects performance. Check the gauge in the engine compartment. Good luck! We love the Diesel...so much nicer than our gas coach.
harmstrong17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

whao thats a lot of advice and good info me n my ol lady (mb momma bear ruth) bought a shasta 23 c class in 1996 it was a 1981 in beautiful shape with 20k miles.. we sold it to a friend who pulls his drag car n sleeps at the track in it. at the time of the sale it had 79k+. we then entered the winnie world as we picked up a 1985 chieftain 27 on a p30 workhorse w/454 cid. it had 32k miles on it and had set for a couple years nwiththe roof air seal leaking and it had not been winter rized. we got it cheap and repaired everthing. it took us around the great USA a couple times and last year it pulled a 20ft trailer with 2 harleys and a 1989 blazer all the way to alaska and back on a 4 month trip
then a nyear ago a familly member told us about an older couple i have known all my life that had a nice unit and at 93 uears old the family seemed to feel it had to be sold.
as it had been sitting for three years, i low balled there price and picked up a 2001 adventurer 35u in really good shape, with low milage at a really good price.
i believe i have become a winnie man
BUT what i really have to say , is that while at a local dealer picking up some supplies the parts rep told me about, irv2 !! you see while we have traveled the great USA and all of the western part of canada, we've never had anyone say think about it. i belong to aa, na , a motor cycle club that supports sobriety, brotherhood, and safety, and run with the local rescue squad and volenteer with a couple auto shops and i have never experienced the goodness i had read on the pages of irv2 !!!
i have not read any back stabbing, i have not read anything negative. all i have read here is top of the line advice and love of machine and a way of life, and a desire to help the fellow rv'er.

i feel the love !!
thanks to you all and i also say welcome jeff.
gregbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #19

Congratulations! Best of rving to you.
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Welcome that is a really nice rig.I know you will really enjoy all the adventures that come with it.Good Luck and many Safe and Happy travels.
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote