Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2021, 04:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

New TVs

Looking to replace at least the bedroom TV in my 2011 Via, anything I should know or just get one that fits? Are motorhome TVs any different than home TVs? Mine are both 120 volt, maybe I should consider a 12 volt in case we are overnighting without hookups? (I would think it would be more efficient to run a 12 volt TV than to run a 120 volt one off the inverter.)
Old 01-23-2021, 05:23 PM   #2
Site Team

You’ll find a limited number of 12v options available and at higher prices.

Make sure the TV you purchase has the same size mounting pattern for your Via’s mounting plate. There are a couple of levels of sizes and since WBGO normally makes their own tv mounts rather than use off the shelf mounts you generally need to be sure to get a tv with the same mounting grid size as your current tv.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D6EF9F46-4A95-4B0D-A632-A301368962F8.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	176951  
Old 01-23-2021, 05:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I have had 12V TVs and have had 120V AC TVs powered with a small cigarette lighter plug in inverter. Direct 12V is more efficient of course, but not by much, maybe 10% better.

Of course these figures come from a small inverter which has low standby loads. A bigger inverter may pull more DC power even when it isn't supplying much AC.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 05:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I'm not aware of anything special about MH TVs. As far as 12V vs. inverter, a decent inverter will be about 80% - 90% efficient. Most LCD or LED TVs are relatively low wattage depending on screen size, so you can make your own decision as to whether the efficiency factor would make a significant enough difference in battery usage to make the 12V TV worthwhile. Also, with a 12V TV you'll have much less choice in the make, model and quality of your TV.

https://understandsolar.com/how-many...%20electricity.

Another idea would be to get a relatively inexpensive and small 12V TV to use when you're not on shore power. The smaller screen will be less wattage and you can still get whatever 120V TV suits you for shore power use.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Thanks for all the ideas. I will stick with 120 volts. I was thinking I could easily make up some adapter plates in my metal shop if the mount doesn't fit then I saw some adapter plates on another thread. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Mount+Wor...ref=nb_sb_noss
Old 02-03-2021, 04:44 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
Looking to replace at least the bedroom TV in my 2011 Via, anything I should know or just get one that fits? Are motorhome TVs any different than home TVs? Mine are both 120 volt, maybe I should consider a 12 volt in case we are overnighting without hookups? (I would think it would be more efficient to run a 12 volt TV than to run a 120 volt one off the inverter.)
Just make sure you buy a quality Smart TV with wifi built in. It will let you get TV over the internet using the Google TV app.
OnNTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnNTwo View Post
Just make sure you buy a quality Smart TV with wifi built in. It will let you get TV over the internet using the Google TV app.
Thanks, I wouldn't consider buying anything but a Smart TV in this day & age. The replacement is on hold for now since there is nothing wrong with the bedroom TV, I thought there was because the picture area was shrunk but as soon as we got reception it was fine. Meanwhile a bunch of other stuff reared it's ugly head, and I mean a bunch. Everything I touch on this rig turns out to be broken or poorly installed, latest issues stove burner plugged, galley sink faucet broken, bath mirror bracket almost detached, vanity siding coming loose, converter fans grinding, water heater calcified then out to the chassis found both brackets holding the bottom of the front clip detached and bent up out of the way by whoever repaired some front end damage. This is just in the last few days, been working on this rig for a couple months making it like new.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The mfrs. say a lot about their TVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
They make a lot of claims about their RV TVs being specially constructed to withstand the bouncing around, but I don't believe it. I wouldn't spend several grand on a Plasma TV, but most any reasonably priced smart LED or LCD TV is probably fine. Just make sure you have a decent mounting that will absorb a bit of the shock of traveling.

And yes, a 12v TV will draw a lot less power than 120v + inverter. You could also invest in a 4K large computer monitor and just stream off a smartphone, laptop, or tablet. IDK about you, but I haven't watched anything but streaming sites in years.
golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:13 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
You’ll find a limited number of 12v options available and at higher prices.

Make sure the TV you purchase has the same size mounting pattern for your Via’s mounting plate. There are a couple of levels of sizes and since WBGO normally makes their own tv mounts rather than use off the shelf mounts you generally need to be sure to get a tv with the same mounting grid size as your current tv.
You can buy a universal adapter plate quite inexpensively.
golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:28 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Are you sure your bedroom TV is a 120 volt version? We had a 2011 Reyo which had a 12 volt TV in the bedroom.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:39 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_340 View Post
Are you sure your bedroom TV is a 120 volt version? We had a 2011 Reyo which had a 12 volt TV in the bedroom.
Both TVs are 120 volt and both plugged into 120 volt outlets which are supplied by the inverter when unplugged from shore power.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:42 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I recently replaced the 120v Jenson 26 in. TV with a 12v 28 in. Jenson JTV2815DC. The mounting bolt pattern is different on the new TV, but I bought an adapter plate from Amazon (they sell a few different styles). The other problem I encountered was that there were 13 cables with RCA plugs attached to the old TV! Since I don't have access to the area where the cables come out of the wall, I didn't know what they were all for. The new TV only has places to plug in 9 RCA plugs. By carefully labeling where each cable was inserted on the old TV and then plugging it in to the corresponding one on the new TV, I was able to get the over air reception & DVD player working. I don't know what the other 4 cables were for. Bottom line: make sure the replacement TV has enough sockets!