Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-18-2006, 11:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We finally got it!! Brought our 04 Horizon home sunday - after spending saturday night in it at Lazydays here in Tampa.

They completed out list of 18 squawks on it before we'd accept delivery - and did a very nice job, I must say. Even for Lazydays!

Thanks to the many nice people on here who provided us the input on the coach we needed to make this happen. We love the coach and anticipate many happy miles in it.

Sam & Sandy Davis (NR4A & KI4DIG)
New Port Richey, FL USA

New Port Richey, FL
NR4A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 11:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We finally got it!! Brought our 04 Horizon home sunday - after spending saturday night in it at Lazydays here in Tampa.

They completed out list of 18 squawks on it before we'd accept delivery - and did a very nice job, I must say. Even for Lazydays!

Thanks to the many nice people on here who provided us the input on the coach we needed to make this happen. We love the coach and anticipate many happy miles in it.

Sam & Sandy Davis (NR4A & KI4DIG)
New Port Richey, FL USA

New Port Richey, FL
Old 09-18-2006, 01:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Whoo-hoo! Congratulations!

We love ours - man what a machine! Maybe Lazydays added more service techs - we bought ours there as well.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:08 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, John -

Lazydays boasts about their 200-something service bays, however they dont have the technicians to fill them. Their technicians are not the best, or the worst for that matter. We had to stay after them to get everything fixed that we initially found wrong with it. We also told them if they couldnt finish it by saturday afternoon that we would not be able to make it back there until late October, and we might as well just forget the whole transaction. Needless to say - they hustled while we stood and watched.

This is coach #7 we've purchased from them over the years. They know me there by now.

They had to order the rear engine cover hinges from Winnebago - I still dont like the way it closes and they spent numerous hours on it. They "Promised" they'd get the parts in within the next couple of weeks.

This is a great coach for us full-timers, and we are very comfortable in it.

It rained here last night since we've owned it. Yep - bedroom floor was wet this morning when we woke up. First thought was the dog had an accident being in a new environment. After investigation we apologized to him. I've been reading the posts on here about leaking bedroom slides and just put some duct tape on the slide corners per Jim's suggestion and photos.

The skies are getting dark at the moment and I can hear thunder in the background. Maybe we can stay dry tonight.

Best regards and 73,

Sam/NR4A

New Port Richey, FL
Old 09-19-2006, 11:51 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Congrats on your new coach NR4A nice looking rig may you have many safe and happy miles in it.
As to slide leak problems I will be posting pics and write up on how the Newmar coach takes care of their slide installs if we all work together maybe we can make a perplexing problem better.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 02:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Sam - what is your floor plan?

Concur about Lazydays technicians - I think some are really good, some are not so good and everything inbetween but there aren't enough of them. Their sales process on the other hand is an amazingly honed and effective process. I felt great about handing over a couple of hundred big ones

Lazydays tried to fix our bedroom leak and I must say they did improve it considerably, but not good enough. The Winnebago factory however worked magic on the leak - it takes a cloudburst now (or an out of level situation) for it to leak.

There are lots of us S-Body (Vectra/Horizon) owners around the forum if you need advice.

Old 09-19-2006, 03:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the reply, John....

We have the floor plan with the driver's side kitchen and the Main TV on the right side (not front above the driver) Click on http://www.nr4a.com/horizon/DSCF0009.jpg to see it.

I crawled up on a ladder tonight in the rain and I see a puddle on top of the slide, under the topper that is against the outer wall of the coach at the front of the bedroom slide. Im not sure how it is getting under the topper, but it is. The coach appears level all around and the rain water is streaming in at the front right corner inside the bedroom at the slide.

Did I understand Winnie has a newer slide seal or is this a special order item? Im attempting to get Lazydays to cover this under a warranty.

You are perfectly right about their sales technique. They make it so easy to part with $200k - don't they!!??

I appreciate your advice before I call them in the morning with my wet report.

Sam

New Port Richey, FL
Old 09-19-2006, 05:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

G'day Sam & Sandy,
I see you have a 40AD floorplan which is the same as ours. I sure hope you like it as much as we do ours.

I had a similar slide problem leak and found the roof edge caulk to the side was seperating which I found surprising after only 2 years. The water would run in under thye caulk then down on to the bedroom slide top. Once there it would then get inside. After I cleaned the old caulk out and recaulked I have had no more leaks.

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
arkaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 05:36 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I have posted some pics on leaking slide problem in the Winnie forum. See if it will help you.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:27 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Sam - here are pictures of the updated seal kit that Winnie installed on ours this April. It consists of a 'drip tray', different moulding on the bottom of the slide and new gaskets.

I have always wondered why the slide topper doesn't extend past the slide - this would provide some benefit of leak prevention.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:49 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

John has the new seals helped with the water problem? My slide topper does extend past the slide recessed opening, for the slide, about 1" both sides. If I could move my pics from the other slide topic below you can see it on bedroom slide.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:11 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Linsay,

I just completed doing just that and it is not leaking right now. Of course, it is also NOT raining at the moment. (LOL) I see where the caulking has cracked where you suggested, and I will see if that makes a difference.

Now to tackle another leak we just found on the right side of the front winshield. Ugh!

Sam

New Port Richey, FL
Old 09-20-2006, 11:14 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

John,
Thanks for the link to the pictures. I fear this may be beyond the capabilities of Lazydays techs to accomplish, however I dropped them an email last night requesting the updated seal kit and I am awaiting a response.

Meant to ask you, are you running H.F. in your rig? I'm curious where you have set up the radio if you are.

I will let you know what I find out.

Best regards,

Sam

New Port Richey, FL
Old 09-20-2006, 11:51 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by "007":
John has the new seals helped with the water problem? --snip-- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Absolutely! A downpour will however overwhelm the seals and it will leak.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NR4A:
--snip--
Meant to ask you, are you running H.F. in your rig? I'm curious where you have set up the radio if you are. --snip-- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Sam - I thought about installing 2 meters but not HF. I still have my old IC735 and auto tuner that I used on the boat but I haven't been active in some time.

The big problem for wiring with our floor plan is the silde. The long counter would be an ideal place to grab a couple of square feet for a station but you will have to contend with trying to run cables in/out of the moving slide. It might be much easier if you had a rig with a detachable control panel /face plate that you could remote away from the main box.

Old 09-20-2006, 12:00 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

My thinking exactly was the long counter top, and was considering a "Ham Stick" mounted on top of the reqar ladder. It would be nothing to run the coax under the slide.

Like you, I have been very inactive on HF the last 5 years. 2 meters does nothing for me - so the thoughts of tossing an FM rig in the coach is out of the question.

Was more interested in having the TS-50 available for those nagging hurricanes that like
the threaten Florida.

Of course there's always the Internet - which regrettably is more reliable than HF.

Sam

New Port Richey, FL