Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2016, 06:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New to me 2005 Vectra 40AD

Just curious what people think of this coach. Mine is Cummins 400 hp diesel. Have a lot to learn. Few little issues that I know of and sure more will arise. previous owner butchered sound system. Anyway, just wondering how the coach reviews with others that have owned one.
wstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We're very happy with our 2004 Vectra 40 footer, 350hp Cummins. Previous owner remodeled the coach, new floor tile and upholstery. Had a suspension airleak that took awhile to find and fix. Loose connection at right rear air brake bladder, and hose on governor. Also, the roof connection to the rail can be troublesome. I had a couple leaks, and after a failed attempt at using the Dicor self-leveling, I just taped the whole thing. The black and silver tape matched the coach fairly well. No more leaks.
I'm a car mechanic hobbyist, so feel comfortable owning a complicated older unit. But, working with a unit from Arizona, no rust, and low miles, makes it a lot easier. Just finishing up replacing the old Sony TV with a lightweight Vizio 32" model. Right now we're planning a trip to the Lake Chapala area in Mexico, towing our Jeep Wrangler. Can't wait.

Grenadiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:52 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Welcome to the Winnebago family – the company has excellent resources online.
Using the link below you can find
Product Literature – Original Brochure for your MH
Manuals & Diagrams
Parts Catalog - Motorized
Plumbing Diagrams - Motorized
Wiring Diagrams - Motorized
R.V. Parts and Accessories Catalog
How to Identify a Motorhome
Sealant Callout Sheets - Motorized
Operator Manuals
Paint Code Manuals - Motorized
Audio/Video Guides - Motorized
Supplier Links
· Service Tips

http://winnebagoind.com/product-resources/product-information
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:23 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

After 5 years with our 2004 40AD we are very glad we got it. If it burned to the ground, heaven forbid, we'd look for another one of the same model. Probably just a tad newer. The made Vectras until 2008 I think. We're very happy with it. There have been a few repairs needed but nothing a S a result of poor quality. Mostly normal wear and tear stuff.
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

wstalker, Looks very very nice! Take good care of her and she will perform wonderfully. I've got the Itasca Sister.. Horizon, and '05, also towing a wrangler. Like lajuene, absolutely love it. Tons and Tons of mods.. just finished swapping out the NeverCold for a Samsung... she's in storage now for the winter up here in NH.. but can't wait to power it up in the spring!.
Apparently I didn't pay attention to well for proper ventilation / moisture issues and my ceiling has begun to fall (the fabric separates from foam / glue). trying to find the right solution for that.

Wifi/cell Signal mods, 12volt mods, Tv mods, audio sound mods, water bay mods, etc etc.. Your previous owner did a nice job with the floor. My carpet is coming out in the spring to be replaced. She's done me well in the 4 years I've had her. we put on about 10K miles a year. Will FT in only 3 more years....Best of luck and ENJOY IT!
-mike
CigarBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Had an 2004 Horizon 40AD for 11years. Only thing we really had problems with was the basement air. Never cooled down in high heat/humidity so we bought a rolling ac unit, removed the recliner and vented it out the window near the kitchen. Worked great on the road and stopped. Course '05 they added another slide and the 400 motor. A lot of good years, we miss it! No towing a TT and maybe a big 5th-wheel in our future!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Wstalker, not to steal your thread, but I am also a new to me owner of a 2005 Vectra 40AD just since Nov. 7 and love it so far.
Bought from original owner with 97K miles, but very impressive maintenance records. We live in Texas but bought it from an individual in Oregon and drove it back. The Norcold 1201 frig. went out on way back while camping in Dead Horse Ranch State Park in Cottonwood, Arizona (started leaking ammonia) so we're installing a Whirlpool WRS322FDAB side by side residential frig. Tight fit, but will go through door and needs a little bit of top or bottom cutting out of existing fridge opening. Does yours still have the Norcold in it?
My only other complaint so far after our 2500 mile trip back is the squeaking and metal chattering scissor slide mechanism on the passenger side just behind the pantry door next to the frig. Anyone got any solution to that problem? Does your mechanism do this too?
Lean 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:20 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Appreciate the feedback

Thank you so much for all those that responded. I have a lot to learn, but so far not disappointed at all. Previous owner has been useless, but seems as issues so far are small and naturally being this old I paid a fraction of new. I'm looking forward to working out the bugs and seeing the country through a large windshield. RV's are nothing new to me, but this is my first motorhome and there is a lot of stuff!!!! Seems like a great forum. Thanks to all of those that make it happen.
wstalker is offline   Reply With Quote