Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

New to Me 2001 Itasca Suncruiser 32V

Just saying hello as a new Winnebago owner, albeit not quite a new one. I just purchased a 2001 Itasca Suncrusiser 32V, my first motorhome. I do own a 27’ 5th Wheel for the last 5 years though.

As a new owner of a motorhome and a used one what are some of the 1st things I need to do to it and have checked out?

Any new or old recall issues? It is on Ford chassis.
doit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Congrats on the your new/nicely aged MH. Check the age of the tires and the fridge for recalls. Change the fluids and fuel filter. Grease the front end....Go camping to find any other issues.
tmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Congrats. I had a 2001 Winn. Chieftain and put 62,000 trouble free miles on my Ford chassis. There was 3 issues that Ford put out recall/ TSB's. The oil dip stick was incorrect and showed improper fluid level. It was replaced. The air intake sucked in water during heavy rains. Their was a mod to it that Ford did and something to do with the ABS light that they issued a recall for. Ford has a good RV cust svc 800-444-3311. They may be able to assist with researching to see if these were done to yours.

Good luck.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

There was a recall on the cruise control module. Here is a copy of the posting i did in February of 2008

I have a 2000 Winnebago 35U with the ford V-10 triton engine. I
called the Winnebago service # about the recall on the cruise control
module and they told me to call Ford Motor CO and gave me their 800#
(1-800-444-3311). I called and the woman I talked to was very
helpful. I gave her my VIN# and she looked it up and said the recall
had not been done on my coach. She asked me where I was located and
said she would call back with the information on where to take the
coach. After 20 minutes she called me back and gave me the name of a
Dealer near me. She stated they had 23 units in stock. I called the
dealer and the gentleman I spoke with on the phone said they had the parts in stock and to bring the coach in anytime. I took the coach in and when I went to the Service Department. The gentleman I spoke with there said they did not have the part in stock and didn't know when it would be in. I called Ford Motor co. back and the lady I spoke with told me she would call me right back. She called back in a matter of minutes and stated that the dealer did in fact have the parts and gave me the name of someone to talk to. It took about 20 minutes and I was on my way with the recall done. Of note here is that most of the service dept guys were not aware of the parts being in stock. They later also stated that the parts in stock were for class A motor homes and that the parts for the class C motor homes they definitely did not have in and didn't know when they would be in. I would like to give kudos to the lady from Ford Motor Co as she was very helpful to begin with and also about the misunderstanding on the part of the dealer.

Hope this helps you. There is also a thread related to the air intake. If you travel in a lot of rain the water can get into the filter and cause stalling. I cant seem to find the thread on that but perhaps someone will post the place to find the fix for that problem.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Howdy and welcome to the forum. Congrats on the new to you purchase and hope you really enjoy it. Hope you enjoy your time on this site as well. Be safe and Happy Motoring!!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Wow, this is going to be a great resource for information and help when needed. Thanks to all so far and I hope I can add to the groups input at time myself.

ESW
doit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Caulking around every thing that pokes through the roof, caulking around windows, running lights. In otherworkds anywhere there is a hole in the roof, siding, check the sealant.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:44 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Visit the Winnebago website at Winnebago Industries and register as a 'second' owner. Check out the resources available there as well as W.I.T. (Winnebago Itasca Travelers). You have a couple of fantastic local WIT chapters in your neighborhood. The San Juanderers are a very active group. Get to the Northwest regional rally in this month or at least the state rally in Sept.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Congrats on your Motorhome....
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

good advice so far

i have a 99 chieftain and about everything said so far I ran into except I had a broken manifold and went with a banks system with air intake to aleviate the water intake issue that was mentioned above. Definitely I would do a couple of voyages and see what else needs to be updated\fixed. I would try boon docking once so you can get a better understanding of your rig. Check the batteries, silicone the metal moving parts and I am sure others will keep on chiming in here....welcome!

Tags
itasca, suncruiser