Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2006, 02:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

I picked up my 29R on Dec 2nd 2005. I have not had any leaks at all and we have had some really good blowing rain storms here in northern VA. After each I have checked the outside compartments and inside, no leaks. Does it leak with the slides in, out or both. I don't think I have had mine in the rain with the slides out so that I don't know yet. Sorry to hear you are having problems, so far mine has been really good with just a few very minor problems.

Ralph
2006 Sightseer 29R
1999 bug (toad, soon to be a mini cooper)
Old 02-01-2006, 03:43 AM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Egad, that's really lousy dealer service for a 4 day old rig.

You'd think the owner/service manager would look into this personally, especially since it's still wet two weeks after they got it. I sure hope it's right the next time they call.

If not, you might want to speak with the dealership's owner and/or Winnebago Customer Service. Good luck with it.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:02 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Our new 2006 Sigtseer went back to the dealer 4 days after delivery because of leaks in the bedroom and kitchen slide We received a call from the dealer that the repairs have been completed. When we arrived at he dealer He gave me a copy of the work order and asked me to sign it. After reading what I was to sign I told him by signing I was saying I was satisfied with the repair which I haven't seen. At that point he told that the coach was parked in back and I should inspect the repairs. I found the floor in the bed room slide was wet and the exterior compartment was wet. His explanation was that the leak was fixed but the floor and compartment was wet from the leak before the repair. I find it hard to believe they had my coach for 2 weeks and didn't dry it out to stop delaminating of the plywood floor. I refused the repair and told him to check it again. they also replaced a 2'X 2' section of plywood floor in the kitchen because of delaminating but did a poor repair of the vinyl. The coach was purchased new 1/13/06 they had it 14 days of the 18 days that I have owned it. I am starting to lose confidence in Winnebago and the dealer. Has anyone else had problems with leaks in the Sightseer?

Cappy
cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:02 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Our new 2006 Sigtseer went back to the dealer 4 days after delivery because of leaks in the bedroom and kitchen slide We received a call from the dealer that the repairs have been completed. When we arrived at he dealer He gave me a copy of the work order and asked me to sign it. After reading what I was to sign I told him by signing I was saying I was satisfied with the repair which I haven't seen. At that point he told that the coach was parked in back and I should inspect the repairs. I found the floor in the bed room slide was wet and the exterior compartment was wet. His explanation was that the leak was fixed but the floor and compartment was wet from the leak before the repair. I find it hard to believe they had my coach for 2 weeks and didn't dry it out to stop delaminating of the plywood floor. I refused the repair and told him to check it again. they also replaced a 2'X 2' section of plywood floor in the kitchen because of delaminating but did a poor repair of the vinyl. The coach was purchased new 1/13/06 they had it 14 days of the 18 days that I have owned it. I am starting to lose confidence in Winnebago and the dealer. Has anyone else had problems with leaks in the Sightseer?

Cappy
Old 02-01-2006, 12:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We picked up our new Sightseer 29R in June and so far no leaks. I've read other postings about Sightseers leaking so I have looked for leaks in my motorhome but so far I can't find any. And it's not like there hasn't been an opportunity for leaks. I live near Seattle and we have had a very wet winter. Just recently we had 27 days of rain in a row, the seconded longest string of rainy days in a row and just short of the record 33 days set in 1953.

JD & Kathy
JD Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Is it possible to have a problem with mold if the floor was left wet for 2 weeks? My granddoughter has asthma and if their is mold in the MHO this could be a big problem.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

If the dealer wanted to return my new MH that didn't look "brand new" I would tell him to put it back in original factory condition or replace it with an new coach. The dealer does not want to do warranty work because they don't make a profit on the work.

I hope the dealer does the right thing and takes care of the problem for you.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:11 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The dealer does not want to do warranty work because they don't make a profit on the work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 04:21 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Sounds like you have a real dealer problem. Maybe you should contact Winnebago directly via mail or phone call. they may be able to straighten out the dealer and/or a new dealer for service.

I suggest you also look into the lemon law in your state to see if it applies to motorhomes.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:20 AM   #10
abn
Winnebago Camper

Check into the Federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. It addresses issues with the living area of motorhomes. Lemon laws will only apply to the chassis.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:15 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Lemon laws will only apply to the chassis. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not necessarily so - it depends on what state's lemon law applies. Some cover the entire vehcile, some only chassis and some don't cover RVs at all.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 07:18 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Cappy,
Stick to your guns and make them fix it right. Some dealers (too many!) give crappy service and give you the run-around until you get tired and go away. If they aren't doing the job, complain direct to Winnebgoa and maybe go to another dealer (you don't have to have warranty work done where you bought it).
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 10:29 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Sounds like the "A Typical" dealer service dept. I purchased my Adventurer in December of '04 with a huge water stain on the ceiling. They cleaned it, assured me the roof was sealed etc. Soon I found the crack in the skylight over the shower and fixed it myself. Speaking with several other owners, it appears to be a common problem, stress cracks in the plastic and they all carry silicone with them. I agree with the others that you should demand better service and reach out to the factory customer service and you'll be surprised. A second situation occurred in the summer with a basement A/C unit that that was under warranty. After 3 weeks at the dealr, they told me they didn't have a tech qualified to fix it and suggested an independent repair place. The Independent called me to tell me that wiring and circuit boards were missing competely as someone tried to fix it. Anyhow, it was coverd by extended warranty.....no more dealer service for me.BTW this is my 3rd RV in 12 years. Pretty much same scenario each place.

Tim in N.J.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:29 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Fossilhog isn't it the truth, thanks for your insite and welcome to the forum. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 04:46 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I want to thank everyone for their advice. Monday will be 21 days in for repair. The service manager said a gap in the lower corner of the slide seal cause one of the leaks. This seal must have leaked from the day the coach was manufactured which was 7/2005 I purchased it 1/13/06 . I discovered the leak the next day I am concerned about how much hidden damage there could be in the floor and walls

Monday I will send the dealer and Winnebago a registered letter covering these concerns. I can only hope they will make the repairs properly. This is not how I planned to start my retirement.

Cappy
Old 02-04-2006, 05:38 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

My problem with the RV industry as a whole is poor quality control. I would suspect a average dealer would have a problem trying to correct a defect of this size. It seems to me the unit should be returned to the manufacturer. It should have never left the factory in that condition. Good luck and I hope they stand by their product.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:52 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I want to thank everyone for their advice. Monday will be 21 days in for repair. The service manager said a gap in the lower corner of the slide seal cause one of the leaks. This seal must have leaked from the day the coach was manufactured which was 7/2005 I purchased it 1/13/06 . I discovered the leak the next day I am concerned about how much hidden damage there could be in the floor and walls </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Usually slides do not leak when retracted. Amount of damage could be determined by did the dealer have the slides in or out when on his lot?? Do you keeep the slides out all the time??
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 03:39 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

I would hope that some one who has a fax machine would send both of these pages to Winnebago . You also need to call tec support and request that a distric rep inspect your rig. Good Luck
Old 02-06-2006, 06:19 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Tom
The slide was open only one day out of the 4 days I had the coach. We did have some light rain that day but the slide was closed for the major rain storm we had the next day.

Cappy
Old 02-09-2006, 08:04 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

I received a call from the dealer 2/8 that they found more water damage. They asked that I come to the dealership so they can bring me up to date on the repairs. The floor of the exterior compartment was so saturated with water the plywood delaminated and has to be replaced because of water damage. The bed room floor also has water stains and the plywood has turned black in some areas areas. This damage was found after I refused the 1/31 repair because of wet carpet found in the bedroom at the time of pickup. They replaced a 2' section of plywood in the kitchen because of water damage. This confirms my fears of hidden water damage in the floor and walls and a possible mold problem. At this point I think Winnebago should replace the coach considering I only had the coach 4 days.
Cappy