Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2007, 02:11 PM   #21

Oh, that helped SO much! Thanks, Don.

So: If we're figuring for optimum battery life, we should keep it plugged into shore power for about a week or so. Then unplug it. It should read at least 12.6v for both engine and house batteries at that point, correct? Then wait until it's gets down to about 12.2v and plug it back in for a week or so. Then repeat procedure for the time it's being stored.

Does this sound logical and the best way to optimize the batteries? Of course along with checking the water level frequently?

It sure would be easier to just keep it plugged in all the time but to make sure the batteries are going to last for their maximum life, the procedure mentioned should do it, correct?

Thanks again.

~~amanda
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 03:33 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Amanda,

Again, lots of debate on this topic. But if you manage it by the numbers, your assumptions are correct. I think 2-3 days would be adequate to bring your batteries up to voltage. But again, the numbers I provided are when the charger is disconnected.

The big disadvantage of keeping it plugged in all the time is boiling out the batteries. If this happens, you most likely will have to replace them. Thus why I do it by the numbers. I also check the fluid level regularly (every 2-3 months).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:07 PM   #23

Thanks again, Don!

Ok, one more clarification and I won't bug ya anymore *lol*.

You said in your first post that you turn off both battery switches. Is this during the time it's on shore power or after you unplug it?

And what is the longest you'd recommend leaving it plugged into shore power?

The reason I ask is that we may have to leave it for a week or two. We don't want to have dead batteries when we return so we thought just to leave it plugged in. However, it sounds like you said you left it unplugged for over two weeks and the batteries were still pretty charged, right?

If that's the case, then we'd probably be better leaving it unplugged if we left it unattended for 2 or 3 weeks, right?

Thanks so much again!

~~amanda
Old 05-16-2007, 08:24 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Because you have the Trik-L-Start you don't need to shut off the starting batteries as the solar charger will keep all 5 charged. But make sure that you kill the house batteries with the switch on the front dash or you will kill them in the time you're gone. Those little phantom loads all add up.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:09 PM   #25

Will the solar charger work in an enclosed garage, though?

So if we don't turn off the switch on the dash, there will still be enough drain to run the batteries down to a discharged state in 2 wks.?

Thanks, Jeff!

~~amanda
Old 05-16-2007, 09:44 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

You didn't mention that... You store in an enclosed garage? Man am I jealous!

For a few weeks I suspect you'll be fine as long as you switch off the house batteries. I haven't done it because I haven't needed to disconnect the engine batteries, but I have heard that the transmission may start shifting "differently" because it will have forgotten what it learned about the way you drive. I'm sure someone else here can add info to this.

One of my weekend projects is to hang my current probe on the house batteries and log all the various loads, including all switchable loads off and look at all the phantom loads I can't control.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:24 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

If you switch off your coach batteries at the dash, and the engine battery at the GUEST switch at the rear, you can easily keep it unplugged (no charge) for 2-3 weeks with little drain. They will still be significantly over 12+V when you return.

Not sure if this is needed, but when I am plugged in for charging, I keep both switches on.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:19 AM   #28

Thanks Don and Jeff!

Okay, I think we're set as far as storage goes. I hope!

~~amanda
Old 05-17-2007, 12:13 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Amanda,

I've been away from the computer, but you got your answer on the Trik-L-Start...yes it is standard in yours, but we needed to add it.

The idea is NOT to store it, but to use it! Ours has refrigerator stocked and running and ready to go. We're going to Jekyll Island in Georgia this weekend!

Good Travels!
THutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:48 PM   #30

Aw, thanks for getting back to us, Tom.

*lol* yes! you're so right, the object is not to store it or store it as little as possible. Thank you!

~~amanda