Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2017, 10:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

New Member - Need Buying Advice

My wife and I are looking at moving from a 25' travel trailer to a Winnebago or Itasca in the 30' - 32' range. Our primary motive is we need something that is reasonably (but not ADA) wheelchair accessible. I have an external lift solution and I am aware of Winnebago's Ability Equipped motorhomes, but there aren't many used ones and new ones are way out of our price range.

I've seen a 2012 Adventurer 32H, which will probably work and am going to look at a 2011 Sunova 31E which looks like it might work depending on actual interior measurements.

The biggest restriction I've found in looking at various models is that we need 27" clear access in all passage ways. Most entry doors are OK but many of the other models I've looked at narrow to 25" or so going from the main living area to the bathroom and bedroom.

The 32H is relatively rare on the used market and the 32E is even rarer. I was wondering why this might be the case.

I'm interested in any input regarding these two models, including problems and driveability. Are driveability enhancements such as stabilizers and/or suspension upgrades recommended?

Does anyone have accessibility experience (if so, which models)?

The biggest motorhome I've driven is a rental 22' Class C but I have several years experience towing a Nash 25S trailer with a 1/2 ton Nissan Titan pickup.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:27 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

The driveability is fair in stock configuration. However can be made good with some changes that at most would cost under $ 2,000 . How much you might want to improve depends on your driving style, if you drive 60 or less all the time you may not feel that anything needs to be done. The faster you drive the more the changes can improve things.

You can look at the Cheap Handling Fix thread on the irv2.com forum , which documents how many improve handling by making the sway control stiffer at minimal cost. Also one can add a rear track bar and a steering stablizer to improve driveability. Some also replace the sway bars with stiffer ones in lieu of the Cheap Handling Fix method. Making sure the front end is properly aligned and all tires are properly inflated is also critical for driveability.

RV in 2011-2012 time frame will need to have the tires checked for wear and the date codes checked. Chances are the tires are already about 6 years old and no matter how much tread is left they might need to be replaced at about 8 years old.

There is a chance that some of the suspension changes were already made by a prior owner.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:01 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

You might look at the Vista LX 30T model. The three slides do not affect the hallway so you can access the bathroom without moving a slide out. The two front slides go out and there is a nice large front area. The dining table buffet option rather than a dinette might be a better option for you.
kwajkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the suggestion but the 30T passageway to the bath/br area is a little tight. I've measured it and there are some jogs between the fridge and shower that make it not workable. I also have ruled out the 32H since the bed access is to the wrong side of the bed. I need access to the right side of the bed. The 32E won't work since bed access is to the foot.

Some floor plans that I've subsequently determined to have possibilities in the WB/Itasca lines are the 33V, 34A, 34M and 35A (all similar but larger than the 30T). I've measured the 33V and it seems workable but I haven't tried it with a wheelchair. Although I haven't measured them, the 34A, 34M and 35A are similar to the 33V but bigger. The 33Vs are reasonably common while the the 34 and 35 models are rare.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Some things to consider are that you have a pre-DPF, pre-DEF diesel. The DPF requires that you sit and idle while it dumps diesel into the DPF to 'clean it out', even if you've reached your final destination. The DEF is an added expense that must be figured into your fuel expense budget. The 'magic' year is 2007, when DPFs were required on all diesels. Without the DPF, etc., you can filter used motor oil, vegetable oil, transmission fluid, etc. and pour it into your fuel tank to burn it. I don't dump a lot in at once; but, I get a little more use from those fluids and don't burden any recyclers in the process, or have to carry it around trying to find a recycler. Replacing a DPF is, I understand, over $1000; and, replacement will be required at some point even if you baby it.

I'm sure I'll get some boos with that; but, it is what it is...
luckydog1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Update: We ended up purchasing a 2002 Itasca Suncruiser 35U yesterday. It's a bit older than we prefer but it's in great condition and it came complete with a Braun commercial, under vehicle wheelchair lift under the existing entry door, which is wide enough for my wife's wheelchair. The lift alone cost the previous owner $15,000 including installation four years ago. Now I need to sell my trailer and truck.

Thanks for all the responses.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:23 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

We have a Winnebago Vectra 40FD which will surely meet all your requirements. Great shape, 2005, 70,000 miles at $92,500. I can send specs and pics. [email protected]
RocketmanRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:33 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I have a Winnebago Vectra 40Fd that would be perfect for your situation, complete with towing package. 2005, 70,000 miles, maintained by my son's Diesel Shop (Folsom Diesel Works) and in perfect shape, with new tires and batteries. $92,500 Larry 916-599-1870
RocketmanRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, new member