Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2011, 10:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

New LCD TV/Wine/Glass Install - Meridian 36G

After reading many posts on upgrading to a LCD TV it was decided to install a (Samsung 27") to replace the old Sony CRT. First I acknowledge it was accomplished with a lot of help from a good friend whose hobby is wood working and who like new challenges. I presented him one!!

First it was decided to build the new installation as a one piece insert and also to make it more that just a TV cabinet. So it became a TV/Wine/Glass cabinet.
Solid oak and oak veneer was used.

Step 1.
The old Sony was removed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070640.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	15608

Step 2.
This is the one piece insert that was built after a lot of measuring and trial and error. The original face plate was kept with the bottom cross piece turn over so the notch was on the bottom.

Name:	P1070639.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	15607

Step 3.
A frame was built to the outside dimensions of the TV with the edges contoured to snugly fit the back edges of the TV. The TV holder was installed and angled to line up with the frame.

Name:	P1070646.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	15609

Step 4.
TV installed and aligned.

Name:	P1070670.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	15610

Step 5.
A hinged door was installed in the bottom opening and was hinged at the bottom. A push button lock mechanism was installed at each side to keep the TV in place when travelling.

Name:	P1070676.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	15611

Name:	P1070677.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	15612

These are brief notes to share ideas.

Gary D
Gary D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:34 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Nice looking install, and the storage is great.

Are you sure that you want to store wine there? Between the TV and windshield/front cap sun it's going to get pretty hot.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:19 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

VERY impressive!!! I too am a woodworker (novice) and can certainly appreciate the work that went into this project. I have a few questions: First, what stain (if any) was used to match the existing woodwork? I'm beginning to think that Winnie uses just a top coat clear finish over their wood cabinetry and doesn't use a stain at all. Also, you mentioned a button release mechanism that holds the TV in place. Can you describe this mechanism and perhaps take a close-up photo of it? Also, where was that item was purchased? Does your choice of TV have provisions for a variable audio output to enable the existing sourround sound system?

Thanks, Dan
Pelledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

WOW! what a nice job. my retrofit just has the new tv hanging in front of the old hole, but that left me a lot of room for a subwoofer.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Pelledan

First you are correct in that the project was a challenge but fun.

Your questions:

1. Stain used was a gel stain made by Old Masters - 81216 - Maple. Since the original face plate was used the new wood showing was kept to a minimum. Other stains might be an even better match.

2. Button release was purchased from Lee Valley - part # 00S32.12. Go to their web site LeeValley.com and enter this part number and it will show you a detailed picture.

3. No the Samsung TV does not have variable audio output. The old Sony did not either. There was a small coupling device that was connected to the speakers of the Song that I disconnected and reconnected to the speakers of the Samsung. I removed the back of the new TV and cut a small slot to get the wires into the Samsung. This output then was connected to the audio system just as the original. Works great.

Gary D
Old 11-12-2011, 05:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Nice job! What did you do in regards to cover on the base and sides of the old cage?
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Dogpatch

The original wood front/sides are still as they were as well as the plastic cover that covered underneath the TV compartment. The only change was to the inside of the steel frame and the lower front door was built to fill in the space under the new TV since it is not as high.

Gary
Old 11-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I've been looking at this idea for a few months. I don't need to do anything for about 3 yrs, just before I retire. I am spoiled now, with my 40" Sony sitting on the console between the front seats. It's like going to the movie theater.

I do put it in the garage when I go camping, and just use the factory 20".

I will need to get at least a 32" for my viewing pleasure. I am exploring the idea of mounting it on a hinge that will lock it in the "up" position when driving. Screen up to the ceiling. Then just lower it down at the campsite.

I will make a storage cabinet where the 20" is now. I will make the hinge mechanism mount to a framework at the top of the cabinetry, and not touch the ceiling.

With my 40", I have been using a really good sound system designed for your computer. Sounds great !!! And was only about $80 on sale at Staples (3yrs ago).

With this TV I have alot of sound options. ie: regular, surround sound, stereo, mono, etc. So, for example, if you were watching Jurassic Park (the dinasour movie), you will feel like running when the t-rex is coming your way. You can be "in" the movie if you want.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Gary D,

Very Nice! Very professional looking!
THutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:39 PM   #10
TMK
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary D View Post
After reading many posts on upgrading to a LCD TV it was decided to install a (Samsung 27") to replace the old Sony CRT. First I acknowledge it was accomplished with a lot of help from a good friend whose hobby is wood working and who like new challenges. I presented him one!!

First it was decided to build the new installation as a one piece insert and also to make it more that just a TV cabinet. So it became a TV/Wine/Glass cabinet.

Step 1.

Attachment 15608

Step 2.
This is the one piece insert that was built after a lot of measuring and trial and error. The original face plate was kept with the bottom cross piece turn over so the notch was on the bottom.

Attachment 15607

Step 3.
A frame was built to the outside dimensions of the TV with the edges contoured to snugly fit the back edges of the TV. The TV holder was installed and angled to line up with the frame.

Attachment 15609

Step 4.

Attachment 15610

Step 5.
A hinged door was installed in the bottom opening and was hinged at the bottom. A push button lock mechanism was installed at each side to keep the TV in place when travelling.

Attachment 15611

Attachment 15612

Gary D
How did you retain theTV in place while traveling ?
What type of locking mechanism etc
What a beautiful wood working job

Thanks

TMK
TMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

The TV is held in place while travelling by the bottom hinged door. It overlaps the bottom of the TV and held in place by push button locks. I indicated where the locks were purchased and part # in a previous post in this thread. It works very well. I put a small strip of foam padding to avoid scratching of the TV.

Hope this answers your questions

Gary.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:17 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

That came out very nice!! What a great idea!!
Mad Dog 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:21 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

very nice job
the space looks just like my parents bounder tv area, I must show pops so he can have a new project.
you should get a gold star
Old 12-21-2011, 06:04 PM   #14
KIX
Winnebago Master

Great looking upgrade. And the method of holding the new TV in place with the hinged door is quite unique and well thought out. Good job.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:35 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary D View Post

Step 1.

Attachment 15608

Step 2.

Attachment 15607

Step 3.

Attachment 15609

Step 4.

Attachment 15610

Step 5.

Attachment 15611

Attachment 15612

Gary D
All I can say is wow. I'm thoroughly impressed. Very nice. I have bookmarked this thread for when I tackle my TV replacement project.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install