Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2020, 11:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New Intent very loud and squeaky

Just bought a brand new Intent 31p and took her out this weekend for maiden voyage.

Somewhere around the drivers area there is a squeak that is annoying as hell and non stop. I tried putting my hand on everything I could find and the squeak won’t stop.

Secondly, the wind and road noise is UNBELIEVABLY loud. Not to mention if I’m going up a hill and have to downshift the motor noise coupled with all the other noise made it so me and the wife couldn’t even hear each other sitting right next to me.

I’d expect something better for $75k. Am I screwed here? Is it standard for it to be this loud? Anything I can do to make it better?

Thanks.
Krisco65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:42 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have not thought the wind noise to be that loud, honestly the air-conditioner is louder. You could try some car hood insulation under the doghouse, and under the floor in the driver's area to help reduce engine and road noise.

For squeaks:
  1. There is a TV mount directly behind you which may need some attention.
  2. The stove could use some BBQ felt tape to silence it.
  3. The shirt closet in the bedroom may have a loose face plate where it mounts against the ceiling which can squeak.
  4. I still have one un-identified squeak in the passenger's seat.

Squeaks can take some time to track down and silence.

Welcome to the Intent family, we have a long thread which is a good read. Along with a second thread of mods.
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:52 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the reply. Ya the road and wind noise really big me and it distracts me while driving.

I never thought about the tv mount but that’s behind me and I pretty sure the squeak is somewhere around the dash. I will look into it though.

I’d like to check out those 2 threads, which section are they under?
Old 05-25-2020, 11:55 AM   #4
Site Team

Squeaks are common. You'll find them one by one and kill them. On your model, if you have a big squeak around the drivers area I'd suspect the big full wall slide right behind your drivers chair. Try putting talcum powder or dry lube on the inside seal on that slide and see if that helps. If your chair is hitting the slide try moving off of it a tiny bit or put a towel over the headrest to act as a cushion.

Massive wind noise on a Winnebago Class A is 99% of the time a missing weep hole covers on the outside of the window. There are 3 or 4 on the bottom trim of the window. Usually there are small holes there with special covers made for them that snap into place to let water exit from behind the window. But they also get lost or stolen.

You can get them from the dealer - or from Amazon. In my experience dealers are always out of them so they steal them off of another coach on the lot.

NOTE! I don't know the Intent well enough to know for sure you have weep hole covers. I just know from experience that many WBGO Class As do, and when even one is missing there is massive wind noise. A temp fix is to put tape over the weep holes but it's only a temp fix.

Here's a photo of an intent drivers window with the area you'll find the weep hole covers. The passenger side has them too.

When buying them on Amazon be sure you get drivers side / passengers side. I'll put a link to the amazon listing for one too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PWYHUTS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	intent.png
Views:	112
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	173618  
Old 05-25-2020, 11:59 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the response. I will go outside once it stops raining and see if I am missing these covers. Thank you.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:59 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisco65 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Ya the road and wind noise really big me and it distracts me while driving.

I never thought about the tv mount but that’s behind me and I pretty sure the squeak is somewhere around the dash. I will look into it though.

I’d like to check out those 2 threads, which section are they under?
This is the Intent megathread, click this link:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...es-353677.html

Here's the mod thread, click this link:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...nt-356824.html

props go to @theSane for previously linking on his reply
Old 05-25-2020, 12:07 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for the response. I will go outside once it stops raining and see if I am missing these covers. Thank you.
When I bought my new Adventurer in 2017 I noticed the wind noise on the test drive. The salesman said, "Oh that's the mirror, it just needs adjusted to not catch the wind." I didn't know any better.

It was 1000 miles home from the dealership and about 80 miles down the interstate I had enough of that noise and stopped to take a look. I happened to see 2 little 1/4" long slots below the window (weep holes, I know now). And I saw that there were 1/2" by 4" plastic things spaced out across the bottom of the windshield. Looking at both sides I could tell that one was missing and that's why I saw the two slots.

I put tape over the holes and sweet silence. But every dealer I contacted was magically out of them. I found them on Amazon, though they seem to be sold out now. If that's your problem you'll be able to eliminate that one easily.

The other squeaks you just have to keep looking. Have someone else drive while you test all surfaces. And TVs squeaking in their mounts is very common.

One other caution - get over that "I’d expect something better for $75k." Because you're expectations will kill you. It's not a mass produced car you purchased. It's a fully equipped and furnished home on a dump truck chassis that you are hurtling down the road at 65 mph.

The hard truth about RV ownership is that it doesn't matter how much you spend, $75K or $750K these things are slapped together with thousands of parts and any one of them can and will break at a moment's notice. Wait, make that without notice.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

For the loud squeak up front....check the pivot pins for the bunk. The forward, outside edges that hold the bunk in place. It’s all metal to metal connections on both sides and mine made it nearly impossible to drive because it was such a high pitched squeak. I put a piece of rubber around the pin to help. It’s not gone, but much better. I’m going to make some nylon/Delrin blocks to replace the top piece of metal.

For road noise, I don’t really have much. It’s a big box with rattles and squeaks for sure, but it it what it is.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:00 PM   #9
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Just bought a brand new Intent 31p and took her out this weekend for maiden voyage.

Somewhere around the drivers area there is a squeak that is annoying as hell and non stop...Thanks.
Creative part is right, you do have those, or are supposed to have those weep hole covers.

I too hate any rattles, and I have successfully eliminated every one. Took some doing.

First, the stove. Makes a heck of a rattling sound. Here’s the video I did as Sane said, to put some felt tape under the top.

https://vimeo.com/402762701

Then there’s the over head bunk. I used silicone spray at the joints and that too went away.

The there’s the instrument cowel in the middle and over the speedometer. I took those apart, and added a rubber and felt seals around every plastic part. That also worked.

And finally, the undercarriage storage compartments. I lined all of them with rubber floor mats from Home Depot. That stops a lot of road noise, and also keep stuff from sliding around down there.

Here’s the video where I talk about the instrument cowl, when I was putting it all back together after a mod.

https://vimeo.com/405276397

And lastly, here’s a video I did explaining everything else, where you can see the (Near the end) Home Depot Matts installed.

https://vimeo.com/410839961

Good thing it’s a holiday...
Old 05-25-2020, 06:11 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Lots of great info guys. Thanks. I’ll report back.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:19 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
...Good thing it’s a holiday...

Indeed. I just finished the last home improvement project before our trip. Now I have 10 days to dedicate to building that office table, fishing the wire for the battery monitor, touching up the fit and finish on the digital thermostat, and making other final homey touches before we leave.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:18 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

For those looking for weep hole covers, Liechtenstein RV had them a few weeks ago, I was ordering some parts and added on a few for my Father In Laws Bounder. (Window Manufacturer is common across several brands).
Old 06-22-2020, 07:06 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Yes they had to tighten ours on our 2019 intent it rattled and drove is nuts
Gjanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:02 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Some of these have have been said but here goes. I have a Vista so some may not apply to the Intent:

Our table swings down on a “hinge” for a sleeping surface. The upper bracket that holds it in the dining position is very noisy. It took me three years to try putting it down for travel and it is much better.

A dab of silicone on the weep covers will keep them from rattling.

A towel under the glass tray in the microwave keeps it from rattling.

I lined the bigger draws and the storage under the dinette seats with egg crate foam to keep things from bouncing up and down.

Hope this helps.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:04 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

We have a new Vista 29, very similar to the Intent. One of the annoying things is a rattle near the top of the windshield. Turns out that if I put the shade down a bit, the noise changes. Looks like something on the shade is loose, or hitting another part. So I'd try that as well.

One of the not so happy things we found is that after every drive for the first 3-4 days, we would find a couple of wood screws on the floor. Not sure if they were extras or just came out during the drive.
sundog964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:21 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
Some of these have have been said but here goes. I have a Vista so some may not apply to the Intent:

Our table swings down on a “hinge” for a sleeping surface. The upper bracket that holds it in the dining position is very noisy. It
Hope this helps.
Thank you, there is a squeak I need to identify, so I will check this for our next trip and see what I can do to silence it.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:34 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

The over head bunk bracket. And the privacy shade...they tighter all of our. More bearable now
Gjanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 02:02 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

Somewhere around the drivers area there is a squeak that is annoying as hell and non stop. I tried putting my hand on everything I could find and the squeak won’t stop.

Secondly, the wind and road noise is UNBELIEVABLY loud. Not to mention if I’m going up a hill and have to downshift the motor noise coupled with all the other noise made it so me and the wife couldn’t even hear each other sitting right next to me.

I’d expect something better for $75k. Am I screwed here? Is it standard for it to be this loud? Anything I can do to make it better?

Thanks.

In my Intent the bunk over the driver was squeaking most of the time...Piece of carboard or something DID THE JOB...tHEN I FOUND TO BE SURE THE BUNK IS RETRACTED ALL THE WAY..loL
sammax is offline   Reply With Quote