Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

New HDTV in 2006 Meridian

This weekend we will be replacing our OEM TV with a Samsung 26". We wanted a 32" model but did not want to re-figure the forward cabinets. The TV speakers are on the front of TV along with the controls.

We'll post some pictures (if figure out how to do it) and more info after the installation is completed.
Bob and Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:45 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hi Bob & Vicki

How did you make out with the TV install. I did two front and bedroom in my Itasca meridan 04.

Regards Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I've been thinking about changing our TVs to the new type also. I'm not sure about the satellite dish that I now have on my RV. Are you also changing your satellite when you install the new TV? If so, what type of satellite are you using? Is the control box for the "bat wing" antenna compatable to the hdmi cable? These are some of the concerns that I have before I start this "project". Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana journey View Post
I've been thinking about changing our TVs to the new type also. I'm not sure about the satellite dish that I now have on my RV. Are you also changing your satellite when you install the new TV? If so, what type of satellite are you using? Is the control box for the "bat wing" antenna compatable to the hdmi cable? These are some of the concerns that I have before I start this "project". Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,Indiana Journey
You will have to change you satellite dish but only if you want to upgrade to HD. Otherwise it's all plug and play.

The control box is not compatible with HDMI or HD. But, unless you change out your dish it's a moot point. You also won't be using HDMI at all unless you go up to HD. I've upgraded my front and bedroom TVs on my 2007 Ellipse and installed a Winegard Travelr HD dish. I have an HD DVR and run HDMI to both the front and bedroom TVs from it. I still use the control box but only for OTA TV and cable. Those signals pass through coax and not HDMI.

The front set was a 27" Sony CRT replaced with a 37" HP and the bedroom was a 19" Jensen analog flat screen replaced with a 32" Sony Bravia. Both have been installed for nearly two years now with no trouble.

Good luck...

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08536.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	7160   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08446.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	7161  

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

HDTV

We installed the Winegard Traveler HD dish last fall. We've been using a DirecTV DVR connected with an S Video. I plan to use the HDMI from the receiver to the TV and the Itasca wires for DVD and Surround Sound. Does that sound right?

Bedroom TV won't be too far behind.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:33 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob and Vicki View Post
We installed the Winegard Traveler HD dish last fall. We've been using a DirecTV DVR connected with an S Video. I plan to use the HDMI from the receiver to the TV and the Itasca wires for DVD and Surround Sound. Does that sound right?

Bedroom TV won't be too far behind.
Good move on purchasing the Travelr. It's a great product and we love ours. You don't mention if your DirecTv DVR is HD or not but I assume it is if it has HDMI output. If that is the case your plan sounds perfect.

A couple of comments though... if you have the same "Surround Sound" system I have it doesn't have a "digital audio in" connection so you have to connect the TV audio out to it via standard red/white audio cables. This doesn't actually yield a good Dolby Surround Sound but it works ok and we don't really even use ours very often.

When you tackle the bedroom TV you'll need to decide if you want to use a second DirecTv receiver or you want that TV to just display what is playing on the front DVR. We use this second option and it works fine for us. I ran a 50' HDMI cable from the receiver in the front to the bedroom TV and use the RF feature on the remote so we can control the DVR up front from the remote in the Bedroom. If you choose to use a second receiver in the bedroom you'll probably need to run new coax to it from the dish.

Good Luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 12-13-2010, 02:09 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

HDTV

Here are some pictures of the new TV installation. Still need to finish up a few things, connect wires and test TV.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	121310 002.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	7206   Click image for larger version

Name:	121310 003.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	7207  

Name:	121310 004.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	7208  
Old 12-22-2010, 02:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

HDTV

Here is the finish picture of the TV installation. However I have one problem, the DVD comes thru in black and white. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	12-22-10 017.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	7341  
Old 12-22-2010, 03:07 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Great job Bob! My guess on the b&w dvd is that there's a setting on your tv which needs to be changed. What type of cables are you using to connect it to the TV? Composite (two audio and one video) or Component (three video and two audio. If my foggy memory serves me, your TV might be set to receive one yet it's getting the other causing the b&w. Worth a look.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 12-22-2010, 03:16 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

HDTV

Think that your right. I've got the cables hooked up wrong. Just looked at the instructions again and found out that I have the audio cables connected to the red and blue components in. Video cable should be fine but the others are probably messing me up. Can't tell you how many times I've taken this apart and put it back together. One more time won't hurt.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:53 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

There should be a total of 5 RCA connectors in component land, but if you're running composite (single cable) video from the DVD into the green component channel you will get the result you have.

Since you have things apart and now have a TV that can support component, you should not only hook up the RGB cables, but the optical fibre as well to decode anything off air transmitted in surround sound. Also run an HDMI cable from the TV to you're future DSS receiver

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote