Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2021, 12:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New Flooring

from this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Flooring.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	179094

to this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Flooring.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	179095
Mjaybat2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 05:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Looks nice, what kind is it? Did you just go right over the existing? Since flooring is initially installed before the walls how did you trim it against the walls? Sorry for all the questions, I've been considering doing this
Old 05-28-2021, 05:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Looks nice. I used vinyl for a similar look in mine. Where I am it gets quite cold, so I used the vinyl with "cement" in it. Apparently that helps reduce gap development with seasonal changes, particularly the cold.

It was installed in September, and looks just fine, with no gaps right now. The flooring I used cleans easily and is uber tough.

How long did it take you? The removal was a bear, but installing took two people two and a half days for a Meridian 34H, in my case.
Old 05-30-2021, 11:30 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks. Took me a day and a half by myself. SInce old floor was original I had to cut it out, leaving under the cabinets. Old floor was glued at the perimeter to after cutting, it came right up. Used Procore surface vinyl from Lowes. Just used gorilla glue construction for the first two runs by the slideout, to make sure the slideout didn't move it when retracted. Slideout works flawlessly. Toughest part is cutting in angles etc. take your time and it will work.
Old 05-31-2021, 05:05 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Two questions:

1. How did you get it installed underneath the slide area?

2. Were there any spots with carpet that you replaced with the vinyl flooring?

I am considering removing and replacing my carpet in the high travel areas but the slideout areas concern me as I can't really get to them. That would be the hardest part in my opinion.
Old 05-31-2021, 09:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspaz View Post
Two questions:

I am considering removing and replacing my carpet in the high travel areas but the slideout areas concern me as I can't really get to them. That would be the hardest part in my opinion.
When I put vinyl in my 2004 meridian last fall, I found that the carpeting essentially acted as a weather gasket on the slide out. As a result I left a strip of carpeting about an inch wide where all the slide-outs are.

I have considered using the half-round rubber gasket material used for garage doors in that area. I really don't like the idea of carpet and while there are many other ways for mice to get into the RV, having carpet there is almost like an invitation with neon lights.

It lets wind in, it lets food odors out and it is soft and fuzzy for mice to crawl in.

By cutting the carpet underneath the slide out back about an inch from the inside, one cannot see the remaining carpeting when inside.

Well we have only had the vinyl flooring in for 7 months, it did survive the winter without any gaps forming, it is extremely easy to clean, it is extremely tough, and it looks good. We left a scrap out in the garage and we rub stones into it with our feet, hit it with a hammer, and other abuse and it has held up well.

If you're up north, do a little research on what vinyl you buy. After a fair amount of shopping and almost ready to buy the flooring, we had a salesman tip us off that if we were using this for a cabin up north, he would absolutely recommend the the flooring that he said had cement in it. I don't know if that's technically correct. But this stuff is fairly abrasive on carbide tip saw blades, and allegedly it remains stable even when subjected to cycles through -20° f.

The tile and carpet which I took out of my meridian took forever because of extensive use of mastic which was still quite tacky after 16 years. The vinyl just lays on top, and in the future I believe will be easy to replace. it took twice as long to remove the old flooring as it did to put in the new flooring, with the extensive mastic which was used and had to be cleaned off.
Mongobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 12:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspaz View Post
Two questions:

1. I cut the vinyl back to about 1/2 inch under the slideout so it cleared the carpet guide

2. No spots replacing carpet, all vinyl.