Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2022, 06:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

New coach mystery

We recently bought a new Adventurer 35f. I was doing some maintenance a few days ago, and noticed a spot on the roof that's about 6 or 7 inches square. It's directly over the driver seat. There's a lot of sealant material surrounding what looks like a patch.
I have no idea what it is and can't find anything in the docs that came with the coach. Anyone have any idea what it is? I'm really hoping that it's not a repair of a damaged roof.
202235f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 06:34 PM   #2
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202235f View Post
We recently bought a new Adventurer 35f. I was doing some maintenance a few days ago, and noticed a spot on the roof that's about 6 or 7 inches square. It's directly over the driver seat. There's a lot of sealant material surrounding what looks like a patch.
I have no idea what it is and can't find anything in the docs that came with the coach. Anyone have any idea what it is? I'm really hoping that it's not a repair of a damaged roof.
A picture would help, but it probably is a patch. But at least it’s been patched.
Old 02-19-2022, 07:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The 2022 35F sealant call-out sheet shows something over the driver's seat:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File.../000163511.pdf

I suspect it might be the location for mounting a CB antenna. Is there an overhead cabinet that you can look inside and see the underside of the roof cap in that area?
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 07:57 PM   #4
Site Team

I wonder if it might be a Sirius Satellite Radio Antenna. Is there a hump in the middle of the patch?
Eagle5
Old 02-19-2022, 11:20 PM   #5
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
The 2022 35F sealant call-out sheet shows something over the driver's seat:

I suspect it might be the location for mounting a CB antenna. Is there an overhead cabinet that you can look inside and see the underside of the roof cap in that area?
Hi Bob, say, that link didn’t work for me, so I’m not sure what you referred to.

But why would there be a “patch” as the OP said, If it was an option? Unless it was removed? Curious…
Old 02-19-2022, 11:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Hi Bob, say, that link didn’t work for me, so I’m not sure what you referred to.

But why would there be a “patch” as the OP said, If it was an option? Unless it was removed? Curious…
I'm thinking it's not a "patch", but is actually something put there to cover an access hole for an antenna. I can't find it now but when I was Googling, I saw a reference on another forum where someone trying to research a hexagonal "patch" in pretty much the same spot and some commented about it being a place for an antenna mount. It might not have been a Winnebago but it's a possible explanation.

As a suggested, a look at the underside, if it's accessible (and if it's for an antenna, it should be) should solve the mystery.
Old 02-19-2022, 11:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

On my coach, that's where the air horns are mounted on a metal plate. Do you have factory air horns someplace else?
Happy Trails,
Bill
Old 02-20-2022, 07:56 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Here's the link to the sealant call-out sheet I tried posting before, I don't know what happened the first time but part of the URL was missing:

It clearly shows something that needs sealing over the driver's seat.

The older sealant call-out sheets label the items. I took a look at the 2009 Adventurer and it clearly labels a satellite radio antenna over the driver's seat:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File..._j_sealant.pdf
Old 02-20-2022, 09:33 AM   #9
Site Team

On my 2017 Adventurer that is where the SiriusXM radio or GPS Antenna is located. It's one square antenna within a bigger area of sealant. I'm not sure which of the two SAT antennas it is - but there is only one small antenna that's visible on top of that "patch".

I don't have a good photo of it... but here it is on my RV:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAT Radio Ant.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	182045