Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2020, 07:18 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New and rear camera issues

Just bought a 2020 Intent 26m on a 2018 Ford F53 Chassis. Been camping a couple of times already and am overall very happy.
During our latest trip the rear camera display on the Pioneer AVH-210EX went dark and never came back even when put in reverse. The side view cameras work just fine and the settings for the rear camera are correct. I looked at the back of the Pioneer and the Blue cable is firmly connected to the Brown RCA jack. Looking at the wiring diagrams I see there is a Switch for the video camera but I am not sure of the location. Before I take the dash apart to find this switch I am wondering if anyone else has located this switch and could tell me where exactly to look. I want to check the connection to the rear camera and see if that is the issue.
Also, has anyone taken off the rear camera itself? The housing in the back looks like it is surrounded by silicone and I am hoping to not have to break the seal just to see if the rear camera is connected properly in the back of the coach.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Tom
tanda62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:41 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

No real help but might throw in a second thought. Are there controls to turn the rear camera on or is it just controlled by the gear position? If it is only failing when you reverse and no other way to verify operation, I might also want to keep in mind the linkage/wiring to the shift position. Never looked at that connection but there does seem to have to be some form to let the electronics know you are in reverse and turn the camera on.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:39 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the reply. There are settings for the rear camera to be on all the time and I have checked those and they are set correctly. There is a wire (purple and white) which detects when reverse is selected. That wire also goes to the Switch I am looking for so I will check for its connection when I find the Switch.

Tom
Old 07-11-2020, 01:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

With a switch set to be on all time, it seems like it would be expected to work but that gets deep into how things are designed and how the input to a chip is setup, so it may be that it requires a specific input from more than one point and that is way, way, out of any info we are likely to get hands on.
Doesn't seem to leave any good alternates other than pulling the dash, etc.
If you get to the connections, a look with a meter at the lead going to the back might show it being open or not?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 03:01 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Hi Tom, welcome to the 26M Club!
Mine is a 2018 and before side cameras were included. I’ve had mine all apart and didn’t have a switch. Just RCA’s directly to the radio.
I seem to recall another INTENT owner having a similar problem. Have you seen the “For all Intents and purposes” thread yet? You’ll find a ton of useful information, modifications, and pictures there.

-Robb
Old 07-11-2020, 03:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Robb for the information. The Switch is from a wiring diagram as part of the front end installation (https://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2018/000037330.pdf) See page 7 for the Switch.
I have seen the information in the “For all Intents and purposes” thread and it is great - thanks for the reference. This particular issue has yet to be addressed - at least as far as I could find - maybe I missed it so I will take another look.
Have you taken out your rear camera? Seems like an interesting mounting back there...
Tom
Old 07-11-2020, 05:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Yeah, that looks specific to models with side cameras.
I haven’t removed the rear camera, but I have changed everything else. I use Rear View Safety stuff, but I was able to make the existing rear camera work with the new parts, which was great because, like you, I didn’t want to open that can of worms.
Before tearing in, I’d do like what was previously suggested and confirm a signal from the camera. Swap ports with a side camera and see it it works, but the side goes dark.
I replaced my head unit just to get Apple CarPlay for my wife. I don’t use it for the cameras as I have two 7” monitors for them sitting right in front of me.
Old 07-19-2020, 04:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Rear view camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda62 View Post
Just bought a 2020 Intent 26m on a 2018 Ford F53 Chassis. Been camping a couple of times already and am overall very happy.
During our latest trip the rear camera display on the Pioneer AVH-210EX went dark and never came back even when put in reverse. The side view cameras work just fine and the settings for the rear camera are correct. I looked at the back of the Pioneer and the Blue cable is firmly connected to the Brown RCA jack. Looking at the wiring diagrams I see there is a Switch for the video camera but I am not sure of the location. Before I take the dash apart to find this switch I am wondering if anyone else has located this switch and could tell me where exactly to look. I want to check the connection to the rear camera and see if that is the issue.
Also, has anyone taken off the rear camera itself? The housing in the back looks like it is surrounded by silicone and I am hoping to not have to break the seal just to see if the rear camera is connected properly in the back of the coach.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Tom
Sounds like you have done a lot already. That’s a brand new RV, why not let a dealer fix it under warranty? Just a thought. Good luck!
Journey42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 05:47 AM   #9
Nailbender

Hi Tom , Ive got a 2019 Spirit 22m and my rear camera stopped working like yours did ,the side mirrors work fine,I called Winnebago service and they told me the connection into the coach can become disconnected or maybe where the wire goes into the camera can become loose, so I got up there and made sure the wire was pushed into back of the camera good and the camera started working again, but only for short time, then black screen again, so the other option is to dig into the back of the coach removing the calking, check the connection, and reseal with new calking. Anyone else tried this? I don't want to take it to a dealer and tie the coach up for a month right now
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:43 AM   #10
Happy Camper

Rear view camera Switch

Hello Tandra, I own a 2015 Sumova 35G and lost my rear camera too. My side cameras continued to work properly. I found the camera switch below the radio in my unit. The switch has three cables coming from the cameras as well as a power source and wires to switch from camera to camera. My problem turned out to be that water had gotten into the rear camera and destroyed it. I purchased a new camera from Amazon for 49.00. The only thing I wasn't able to get with the Amazon Camera was the option to hear the person backing you up in the rear of our unit. To be honest, some things are better seen then heard. lol
fkempf216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:43 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Camera

[QUOTE=Journey42;3867438]Sounds like you have done a lot already. That’s a brand new RV, why not let a dealer fix it under warranty? Just a thought. Good luck!
Journey42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:45 AM   #12
Happy Camper

One more item, the rear camera has either RCA or aviation connectors and yes my cable was sealed to the RV but the new one came with a new rubber hole seal.
fkempf216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:17 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

So I found the circuit board where the cameras connect, it is located below and to the left of the Pioneer head unit. There is not enough room to get to it from above but it can be reached from the driver's side foot well without taking any of the dash apart. The connections there are solid so maybe the problem is at the rear camera like suggested. Thanks for the ideas by the way. I guess I will have to take off the rear fascia and reseal it when done.

As for taking it to the dealer: the dealer is 3 hours away in Jacksonville and although there is a camping world nearby where I live (Havana, FL) I have not heard good things about the service department there. Taking it to the dealer is a last resort.
Our "Bussy" is not at our house, HOA rules, so I have to travel with tools and such to work on the issue. Thankfully we have an enclosed garage storage so I don't have to work in the Florida summer sun.

On another note, got a front end alignment with "Bussy" fully loaded and found the caster to be off and the toe in setting pretty far off. Since the drag link is not adjustable, I am going to have to re-center the steering wheel. Makes me appreciate even more when I restored my 53 Dodge pickup that I put an adjustable drag link in to make life easier.

I will report back what happens with the camera when I get it resolved. Thanks again for the helpful posts!
Tom
Old 09-11-2020, 03:03 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

So it turns out the circuit board is bad and will be replaced under warranty. While that work is being done gonna also add a steering stabilizer and new front and rear sway bars. Heading out to Cheaha State Park in Alabama on the 20th of September to try out all the additions.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:55 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Have a 07 Adventurer with the Sony VCB-MH3 rear view camera, all trips went fine, the camera came on just in reverse or when you turned it on. This last trip, the camera monitor would come on when the head lights, turn signal, brakes would go on. Any ideas why this is happening??
Dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:09 AM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

Rear Camera outage

I have a 2017 Aspect 30j with rear and side cameras. After the first trip, I washed the rig and stored it inside a shop. Second trip, the rear camera was not working... then is magically reappeared and was fine for the entire trip.

I washed the rig AGAIN and stored it inside a shop. We are prepping for our 3rd trip, the camera is not working. Not on trigger of (R) or by using the touchscreen on the head unit. The message is "VIDEO NOT DETECTED."

I located the video switch behind the head unit and checked connections. Nothing unseated or loose. I ordered a new switch from Tim at RV Cams to be safe - RV Cams CVS300-01 Three-Camera Switcher With Touch-Screen Control. $119

Then, we moved to the rear of the coach and tested the camera by moving wires and tapping the camera. Low and behold... tap the camera and the screen in the coach flickers. We removed the four screws of the access panel, located the pigtail connector (green sony) and disconnected the camera (XS90206M9B).

RV Cams has the replacement - RV Cams Color Rear Camera with Sony Green Square Connector ($252). I located a unit locally and am headed to pick it up today. If they don't have it... I will be ordering this one from RV Cams.

Let's hope this is the last XITE part I replace on this rig. I have already replaced the head unit within two weeks of owning it.
psantinelli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera