Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2014, 03:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New 35G owner woes

This is my 1st Winnebago, 5th motorhome and 2nd brand new unit.

It appears that not much has changed for the better in the last 15 years of RV building. Yes there are more amenities in the lower and mid range Rvs but overall quality still seems low.

My Class A 35G is a 2013 that I bought last month from McMahons in California. We bought solely based on layout but looked at almost every manufacturer available just to be sure we were not missing anything.

After owning 4 previous motorhomes (78 Southwind (A) 26', 83 Georgie Boy (A) 32', 99 Tioga (C) 31', 05 Monaco (DP) 38') we had a pretty good idea what to expect.

But it still amazes me that an RV can be delivered to a dealer with no drawer slides in the rear bedroom wardrobe and a drivers side window that the lock does not engage. You would think that even the dealer would have fixed these things before showing this unit but that was not the case. There is a list of about 10 things that will need a warranty repair.

We do love the layout and knew that there would be issues. We are very happy with the drivability of the Ford chassis and it did get even better with the Cheap Fix.

We even did an extensive list with the sales person of small things that needed to be fixed before we picked it up the following week. One of the small things was the generator not working.

Low and behold when we arrived to pick up motorhome they had not fixed the generator. I cant believe that something like this was over looked but I don't think McMahons is very good at their job.

The sales people did a great job but once we were passed to the delivery group things were in need of help.

For all of you buying new I recommend being very thorough with your walk through and check every system, window lock, generator etc. We live 200 miles from the selling dealer and currently the local Winnebago sellers are booked into July for warranty repairs.

Fortunately we have a usable RV and will continue to enjoy while waiting for our appointment to come around.

Love this website, hope to be a continuous reader and contributor.

Charlie
Rvbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:52 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

The Sightseer 35G is a pretty good layout. It only makes sense to have the TV at eye level and viewable from all sitting and eating areas without having to crane your neck! Hope you can get your issues corrected quickly and painlessly. I think you'll have a great time in the motorhome!
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I am awaiting arrival of our new 2015 35 G. I too love the layout. Traded a Winnebago 2012 30T. Liked the 30t but decided we needed a bit more room and a few more amenities. Have an excellent dealer in Rockford I'll. we are in Madison WI. Hopefully he/they will take care of any problems. I purchased a 2010 from him and it was ready with no need to return for quality issues. What do you mean the drawer slides were missing?
cpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

The layout is awesome and the Tv viewing and comfort level of this coach is the best of all the ones we have owned so far.
The couch is long enough for a 7' person to lay down on.
There are 5 drawers in the back bedroom. The top left drawer had no drawer slides installed from the factory. The dealer had this coach for almost a year and took it to shows and displayed it for sale on their lot. They never bothered to fix it.
They would just set the drawer back in its spot and pretend that all was good. It would sit crooked in its hole and looked pretty bad.
Put 500 miles on it today pulling a 5k lb trailer and averaged 6.01 mpg cruising at 65mph.
Seriously considering a rear track bar and a 5 star tune. Trucks, vans and even SUVs passing create some sway. The shift pattern definetly needs some adjustment.
Overall we are happy with this coach, just got to get the details worked out.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:23 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

New 35G owner woes

Thanks for the info RVBuzz. I ordered the Blue Ox Trac Bar. I have put them on all my others and it is logical to do so on this one. I assume the ride is good as it was not mentioned. We added Kelderman Air Ride on our 30t as it was just too light. It seemed the heavier coaches did not experience major ride issues. We drove the Forza on the day we drove the 35g. Preferred the ride on 35 G to our surprise and really preferred the layout on 35G. Obviously less expensive so perfect deal.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Just got back from a 900 mile trip towing a trailer this weekend and it definetly needs a track bar. Semis passing and even vans cause some mild drama. Its manageable but it would be nice to reduce the sway.
I am going to order the 5 Star tune as well. The trans shifts way too much especially when in cruise control.
Enjoy your 35g.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I hope you get your issues fixed quickly!

Can someone with a 36G tell me how much room is between the queen bed and the back wall? I am (ahem) very full-figured and find our 33V does not have quite enough room for my derrier. Also, how wide is the nightstand on that side? I use cpap and the current motor home does not allow enough of a 'safe' ledge. I've knocked it off twice.

Thanks in advance.
jcrain9663 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:15 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Roomy

The queen has reasonable room. Ours is a king and it is tight and we are not small. The table edge is about 6 inches.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:33 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpoo View Post
The queen has reasonable room. Ours is a king and it is tight and we are not small. The table edge is about 6 inches.
It sounds then, like a queen in the 35G would be doable for us. I'd love a king, but it's probably not going to happen. I need more like at least nine inches or so for my cpap. The other alternative might be to put it under the bed by removing the lattice work in one panel and building a box so I can slide it in and out.

I will likely have to wait a year or three for the 35G's to come on the pre-owned market so they are more affordable anyway.

Thanks
jcrain9663 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:02 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

There is a dealer right by the factory who was willing to sell me a new 2015 titled 35g for $125k and I could order it anyway I wanted.
I ended up buying a new 2013 in California since that is where I live. I didnt have the time to go pick it up and I did not want to wait for it to be built.
Might be worth considering since anyone who paid full price or near it is not going to be willing to sell their 3 year old coach for under $100k.
Mine has the King and it is tight. Not really any shelf space by the bed to speak of. You could have a flip down shelf added to the back wall. There is about 4" of clearence between the slide and back wall.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:33 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrain9663 View Post
It sounds then, like a queen in the 35G would be doable for us. I'd love a king, but it's probably not going to happen. I need more like at least nine inches or so for my cpap. The other alternative might be to put it under the bed by removing the lattice work in one panel and building a box so I can slide it in and out.

I will likely have to wait a year or three for the 35G's to come on the pre-owned market so they are more affordable anyway.

Thanks
How large is your cpap? I believe the pedestal under the bed is the same size for the king or queen. The pedestal is set about 16" to 18" from the back wall at the floor. Let me know if you would like exact measurements. There is a 110v outlet inside the pedestal that could be tapped off of to power the cpap.

I'm selling my 35G so we can buy a DP. 2013 Itasca Sunova 35G, Class A - Gas RV For Sale By Owner in Sedalia, Colorado | RVT.com - 148716 PM me if you would like to talk about my unit.
tomk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:31 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thats a great deal for your 2013 35G!

On my 2013 Winnie 35G I have 16" from the back wall to the bed. The window box sticks out 4" from the wall and can be removed. I have bumped into it many times already and I am considering removing the sides of the window box to improve the walk around of the bed.
The area between the rear window and drivers side wall is 17.5" wide. 15" of that is usable for a flip up shelf. The minimum distance between the slide and back wall when closed is 5.75".
You could easily get a 12" x 12" flip up shelf in there and there is a 110v plug at the head of the bed on that side.

I have the king bed in my unit.